• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music What qualities do you look for in music?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    When you're trying to find new music to listen to whether it be for a certain situation or just for pleasure, what qualities do you generally look for in the music that you like listening to?

Years
    • Seen today
    If it's catchy I automatically like it.

It also helps if I can understand what the vocalists are actually saying.

Years
    Usually I wait until the drop before I decide if I like a song or not. For songs with lyrics, I usually listen until I get through the chorus. More often than not, I end up liking the song, even if it's just for something as simple as the title.

Years
    I like music to be complicated and I am really attracted to music that requires skill, not just whats catchy or trendy (not saying something can't be trendy AND skillful). Some bands/artists that represent this well, to me, are: TOOL, Unleash the Archers, Adept (the DeathDealers album is sick), Blackalicious, AESOP Rock.

Years
    It's pretty hard for me to quantify it honestly, I have an extremely diverse taste in music. I guess it depends on my mood at the time, but a general rule I guess is I want the music to make me feel something.

Years
    a couple things i've found

• a hook/chorus that really reels me in (e.g. The Turtles - Happy Together)
    • a nice riff from either a guitar or piano or what have you (e.g. Vulfpeck - Dean Town)
    • poetry in the lyrics; words strung together seamlessly to form a beautiful story (e.g. Don McLean - Vincent)
    • a really really cool beat driving the song (e.g. Foals - Two Steps Twice)
    • a really really cool bassline driving the song (e.g. Tame Impala - The Less I Know the Better)
    • virtuosity displayed without sounding like it's too much for the song (e.g. Snarky Puppy - What About Me)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I spend a lot of time looking for new music, but I actually don't know what it is that I am looking for when I search for something. I don't have to be in any particular mood to appreciate a particular genre and I listen to a lot of genres. Production isn't always important to me. Lyrical content isn't always important to me.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Instrumentation is the first aspect that comes to mind. While some songs/pieces I can still like even with an instrumentation I don't care for, that's pretty rare. I like wind instruments, orchestral strings, and harpsichord the most. But when it comes to pop/rock I also do like the electric guitar and hammond organ, but anymore electronic than that and you're losing me. A lot of the pop/rock I like incorporates a wide variety of instruments.

I also tend to be drawn more toward music in minor keys and even moreso minor modality.

Oh and I love polyphony and counterpoint. It's so awesome when it's done right.

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Good percussion and a good melody, mostly. I'm not into music that forgoes percussion at all. Usually I get drawn to music that gets me pumped. That's not the be-all-end-all however, and my tastes diverge a bit.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like it a little more complicated. Instruments should not be reduced to a basic beat in the background while the singer takes all the credit. Big Band, ProgRock and video game music is something I really enjoy. I'm also down for some Jazz as long as the sax doesn't take the center stage and overdoes things. Strings, pianos and a well timed organ are something I can get behind.

While vocals aren't my main interest if the text has some more depth to it and the voice doesn't clash with the instrument too hard then that's fine with me, as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    idk if i like how it sounds i'm usually a fan. i'm not all that hard to impress lol.

Years
    A lot of things come into play when finding the songs I like. However, I don't keep specific genres in mind, or even remember a quarter of the artists, albums and songs that I listen to, because I scour through a large assortment of songs.

Most music I like to listen to right now has to fall into at least one different mood:
    • Energetic - Have fast, energetic bits with transitions and triumphant hooks, lyrics may be motivational in some way
      [Yoshiya Terayama - Blazing Muscle, 2Pac - When We Ride On Our Enemies]
    • Meditative - Have slow, repeated melodies that allow me to focus on tasks
      [Peter Bark - Ochre , Johnny Manchild - You Want a Song]
    • Mellow - Have slower repeatable melodies than Meditative songs, and may include lyrics, as I listen to as I try to relax and wind down
      [Milky Chance - Stolen Dance, Plastic Patina - Hearthside]
    • Happy - Generally upbeat, boosting confidence without being too energetic, meditative, or mellow
      [ Sam Smith - Diamonds, Greyson Chance - Good as Gold]
    • Contemplative - This is a mixed bag. It's stuff I listen to when I'm going through tough times and need to either get out some bad juju or pour in some good juju.
      [ almost monday - broken people, Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues, Music from Lilo & Stitch - He Mele No Lilo]

Last edited:

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
    Hmmm this is a hard one to answer.

First things first, I've been a drummer for 12 years now so as soon as I hear drums that I really like, I'm all in. I remember the first time I heard Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare I instantly got hooked on the album solely for the snare sound. Having said that, I'd much rather listen to a song with a very simple beat that compliments it perfectly than a crazy 300 BPM double bass drum that just sounds excessive.

I think in general though, music to me is about feeling. If a song can get me to feel something, I'm taken. When I first heard Wait for it, from the musical Hamilton, as soon as he got to "Love doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints" I was like you had no need to hit this deep, man.

Years
    An actual melody as a rock fan, lots of rock bands fall in the trope of just noise and screaming x.x. I just want some good guitar! I also love classical music. Not a fun of whatever it is that plays in clubs nowadays can't even tell the song changes. Having said that some k-pop songs are way better for a club then the other stuff.

Years
    1. a good beat. completely subjective and i realise this is very vague, but there you go. as a EDM listener this isn't particularly difficult but there are quite a few that are less than steller and i have picky taste.

2. deep, profound lyrics. here are some examples of what i mean. in other words, they're lyrics that, while on the surface level don't quite make sense, it doesn't matter because it helps me get lost in my thoughts. this isn't mandatory however, but as long as the lyrics are cool then i'll more than likely like the song.

that's really my only two criteria atm. huh, i thought i was pickier than that.

Back