• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first shiny?

Years
  • What was the first shiny you ever encountered and captured?

Note: Red Gyrados doesn't count and hacks don't count.

My first shiny pokemon that I ever obtained was a shiny electrode, however that was through a trade. My first shiny that I caught on my own would have been a shiny Taros in FR/LG.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    My first shiny was in Ruby. It was a Whismur that I found in Rusturf Tunnel. I was very surprised when I encountered this Shiny Pokemon. I was only passing through to get to Verdanturf Town. I got quite lucky. I got insanely hyped when I encountered it. ^^

Years
  • Not the first shiny that I caught, but..
    Playing through Pokémon Pearl for the first time, I encountered a Skorupi. I didn't think much of it so I just defeated it.
    The next Skorupi I found was purple, and I got excited thinking it's a shiny, but the sparkling animation didn't come. It then dawned on me that I defeated the first shiny I've ever found...
    Ever since I've had this weird feeling that Skorupi aren't supposed to be purple, but red and I still get a bit surprised when they come out and are purple.

The first Shiny I did catch was when I was replaying Leafgreen for nostalgia's sake, and I found a shiny Sandshrew before the Cerulean City Gym. Was pretty neat and one of my main Pokémon all the way through.

Last edited:
    Years
  • My first ever shiny was a Duskull, who I caught in Mt. Pyre while playing Ruby. I was kinda surprised because I heard about shinies before, but wasn't expecting to actually encounter one.

She still remains in the PC there to this day.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    My first Shiny is a Hoppip in SoulSilver. I was originally looking for a Chansey with a Lucky Egg, but I haven't found one in the next three days.

Needless to say, I was more satisfied with my Hoppip than finding a Lucky Egg. Hoppip may be a terrible Pokémon, but its Shiny is cute. I'm deciding whether to evolve it or not.

Years
  • My first shiny was an Electrode that I caught from New Mauville. It was a seriously lucky catch as I've never even seen another Electrode in New Mauville. Traded it to my cousin for his latios and then he traded it to one of his friends in Diamond for a Palkia.

Years
  • My first ever shiny was a Duskull, who I caught in Mt. Pyre while playing Ruby. I was kinda surprised because I heard about shinies before, but wasn't expecting to actually encounter one.

She still remains in the PC there to this day.

I would love to encounter a shiny Duskull! Rather I'd love to encounter any shiny ghost Pokemon!

gliscorgames

gliscorgames
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    my first shiny i saw was a spearow but i knocked it out the next shiny i actually caught was a mareep

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen today
    My first was an Aron found in Sapphire. She's one of the few "survivors" I still have from it since losing the cartridge years ago, and currently resides on Y.

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
    Years
  • My first shiny was maybe a few years ago while I was playing through Emerald. Near the beginning of the game, just muckin about I encountered a shiny silcoon. He's now a shiny beautifly named Aethereus in my X game. Since then, not counting red gyrados, and events, I've caught only one other wild shiny and bred one via the Masuda method (both in the last week).

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Gen. II - Golbat

I found my very first non-default Shiny in Silver Version's Ice Path. I didn't know about Shiny Pokémon at the time and couldn't tell a color difference due to the GBC's dull display, so I thought my eyes were just playing tricks on me when I saw the sparkles. I tried to run from it, but I saw a "You don't want to do that!" message (I don't think that message is actually programmed into the games, so maybe my eyes actually were playing tricks on me that time). I caught it and later checked its stats in the PC and saw the three stars in the corner of the screen. I later evolved it into Crobat and it really weirded me out that it turned pink (I'm actually fine with pink Crobat now) and it looked kind of creepy in Pokémon Stadium 2, but at least I was able to rub it in my older cousin's face because he had never found a Shiny. :P

Gen. III - Nidoran M

I found a couple more Shinies in Gen. II before this, but my first Gen. III Shiny was a Nidoran (Male) that I found in FireRed's Safari Zone. I was so scared that it would run away! I didn't even bother throwing rocks or bait, I just chucked Safari Balls at it. The first one didn't work, which gave me quite a scare, but it didn't run away and I was able to catch it after one or two more attempts. I evolved it into a really cool blue Nidoking and made it part of my main team. Unfortunately, I let a friend borrow the game and they lost it. :(

Gen. IV - Gastly

My first Gen. IV Shiny was a blue Gastly in Pearl Version's Old Chateau. I had just learned about EV-training and was attempting to raise something in Special Attack when it appeared. I caught it and evolved it into Haunter and, with a friend's help, into Gengar. Had I known what Gengar's Shiny looked like, I wouldn't have evolved it. Because I didn't like its colors, I later traded it to someone on here for a most-likely RNG'd Shiny. I kind of regret trading it now, since Shiny Mega Gengar looks awesome, but you live and you learn I guess. =w= (Fun fact: Every Shiny I found on Pearl Version evolves into its final form via trade -- Gastly, Graveler, and Machoke.)

Gen. V - Basculin R

The first Gen. that my first Shiny wasn't a Poison-type. I found my first Gen. V Shiny while fishing for Basculin, EV-training in Speed. I battled a lot of Basculin on Black and Black 2! I kind of hate Basculin, but I had a thing for using any Shiny I found, so I caught and trained her. I named her Marge (probably the first Shiny I ever nicknamed). I later transferred her to X and found 3 more Shiny Basculin Red-Stripe, but she's still more special since Shinies were a lot harder to find before X/Y.

Gen. VI - Spheal

My first Gen. VI Shiny was a Spheal from the Friend Safari. I was actually trying to Masuda a Shiny Bergmite (which I eventually succeeded at), but I was getting a bit burned out on hatching eggs and decided to run around there for a while. I can't even remember if I knew about the increased Shiny rate at that point... Since then, I've probably found 30+ Shinies in the Friend Safari alone.

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Poliwag in either Gold or Crystal, I can't remember which game, reason being I had no idea what a shiny was, but it sparkled when I encountered it, so I caught it because I knew it was special. I believe it was in Ecruteak city. Ironically enough I wouldn't encounter another shiny for probably 10 years when I found a pink Sneasel in HeartGold one night over my friend's house.

Rocka210

The Code Never Bothered Me Anyway
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    The first shiny I caught was a machop in Firered. I didn't realize it was a shiny so I never transferred it to any other game, however xD

Years
  • I think it was a Rattata in Silver, many years ago. Too bad that can't be transferred!

Post-GB games aside, I think it was a Gastly in Pokémon Tower in Fire Red. Which was cool, even if it wasn't as good a Pokémon in that generation.

Back