• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who Is Your Most Hated Character?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I guess the Misty thing depends mostly on whether you interpret that as "She left the job during a normal shift to go on a date" or "The PC interrupted her on a date to ask her to battle".

I think the game's ambiguous on that, although considering Giovanni just spent god knows how long away from his gym, it might be a bit of both.

It's more or less implied throughout the series that gyms (outside of Galar) don't really have formal hours and if you want a badge you just kinda go and find the gym leader to ask for a battle?

Bit of a weird system.

Years
    Barry. I just find him more annoying than the others? Likely due to the bumping/fining stuff.
    Lysandre: He's literally charging people $5 million to be able to live when he ends the world.
    Rose's assistant, I forgot her name but she used Bede simply for her own gain, playing on the fact that he is an orphan and looking to make Rose happy.

I actually like Hop, he has a compelling story and this is a rare time the games explore subjects like this.
    I like Hau too, he's a refreshing personality and just wants to help and cheer others up.

Leon is a mixed bag to me. I dislike his inability to see the bigger picture and he doesn't really pay attention to Hop. However, it's obvious he has good intentions and is quite friendly and personable.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2022
    Leon, dude literally gate keeps us from being involved in the story, and yet in the anime takes Ash along to quell the dynamaxing pokemon

Leon, dude literally gate keeps us from being involved in the story, and yet in the anime takes Ash along to quell the dynamaxing pokemon

There were some complaints about Leon feeling like the main character more than the protagonist of SwSh and I do understand where people are coming from, but don't mind it personally. Ash on one hand is *the* Pokémon protagonist so I suppose he is exempt from everything, lol. I do wish we would have been more involved in the SwSh plot leading up to the finale, but that main battle with Hop against Eternatus was epic and more than made up for it for me.

I like Hop as well on that note and it makes me a little sad to know he's generally unpopular. :( Well, my boy is sure to grow up to be a smart professor/assistant!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    There were some complaints about Leon feeling like the main character more than the protagonist of SwSh and I do understand where people are coming from, but don't mind it personally. Ash on one hand is *the* Pokémon protagonist so I suppose he is exempt from everything, lol. I do wish we would have been more involved in the SwSh plot leading up to the finale, but that main battle with Hop against Eternatus was epic and more than made up for it for me.

I like Hop as well on that note and it makes me a little sad to know he's generally unpopular. :( Well, my boy is sure to grow up to be a smart professor/assistant!

I think the most ironic part here is that if you stop and look at it from the character's perspective, Leon's actions are 100% correct and understandable - you generally don't ask 10 year olds to solve dangerous situations - and in many ways comes from the perennial criticism of the series prior to SwSh that Pokémon was a game where the police was ineffective and 10 year olds toppled down terrorist organizations.

The problem was the disconnect between what a reasonable adult would do and what a supporting videogame character would do ...

And I am also sad about the Hop treatment here too ... he's one of the most fleshed out characters in the franchise, I'm sad for my boi here.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Leon's actions actually make more sense than others champions' actions (or the lack of them) in other games. I don't think the problem is Leon, but the fact that Sword and Shield have the worst plot execution in the entire franchise.

Sw/Sh have basically no plot for 95% of the game, then the plot decides to begin when you're at the Champion cup, almost at the end of the game. Seriously who thought that this was a good idea? When playing Shield for the first time, I was very excited at this new take on the "Elite Four", but then the game suddenly starts caring about the plot when you're at the climax of your trainer's journey and interrupt the Champion cup TWICE. I was like "Dude, it's too late, I'm at the Champion Cup, I don't give a Muk about Eternatus, the Darkest Day, the Chairman, the Sword, or the Shield at this point, especially when the game told me several times to focus on my journey and ignore the plot". I'm trying to focus on what's supposed to be the ultimate challenge in my trainer's journey, stop interrupting me.

The plot should have started much earlier and gradually unfold at a coherent pace as in the other Pokémon games, but nope it starts at a point when it should be already finished. The SM/USUM plot was a masterpiece compared to this.

So I think Leon is a solid character, for a Pokémon game at least. He was just ruined by awful plot execution and the unnecessary childish Charizard propaganda.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Archie and Maxie. Neither of them had much of a compelling story (or even appeared much in game) so my lasting impression of them is utterly 'meh'. Most ineffective villains by far.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Oh, and Marlon, he's OK with letting the terrorists that just bombed the next town over (and would probably bomb the rest of the region / hold it hostage if you didn't stop them) get away because "the ocean accepts all rivers" and that's so many different types of wrong.

Yeah, brings to mind many idiotic political commentors over the past decade, both sides of the pond. I get that they didn't want to do like BW where the gym leaders finally make an effort to stop the villains (despite Plasma's being the least-destructive plot since Gen II - Galactic were Thanos' inspiration for his Endgame plan), but he just sucked.

Also, that weird pervert staring through the window of the Celadon Gym. What a fucking creep. I don't know why he's there, but no matter how you word it, "this gym is full of women" or "this gym is full of strong trainers" it's still gross he's peeping through the window.

Very much 'Carry On up the Celadon Gym'. I only played FRLG, not the originals, and even as a Top Gear-watching young teen that seemed wrong.

I have only one hate:

Mindy

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Yeah, brings to mind many idiotic political commentors over the past decade, both sides of the pond. I get that they didn't want to do like BW where the gym leaders finally make an effort to stop the villains (despite Plasma's being the least-destructive plot since Gen II - Galactic were Thanos' inspiration for his Endgame plan), but he just sucked.

Very much 'Carry On up the Celadon Gym'. I only played FRLG, not the originals, and even as a Top Gear-watching young teen that seemed wrong.

I have only one hate:

Mindy

fuck mindy
    (i still am in shock she has an entire hate subreddit for her when she's just a troll npc)

Back