• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you play video games?

pkmin3033

What is your main reason for playing video games? Do you play to have fun? To be the very best, like no one ever was? Do you play for trophies and achievements? Are games a way to escape from reality, unwind from life's stresses, or just something to do to kill time? Do you play games because you feel you HAVE to sometimes? Do your reasons vary depending on your mood and the game in question, or is your reason for playing consistent?

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    I mostly just play games for fun, as I generally enjoy playing games more than watching televisions programmes or any other form of entertainment.

I usually don't care about the competitive side of video games, or getting trophies on PS4 games. Only time I play competitively is on Pokémon Ultra Sun when battling players online.

Years
    I play to escape from reality and stress, for fun mainly. I don't watch TV really. I just play video games, laptop, and uh, that's all the entertainment mediums I use really. I used to have a goal to collect as many legit Pokemon as possible, but that dream died so, it's just for fun now. Sometimes, there's really cool lure to video games so I enjoy those. My current favorite system is the 3DS. I enjoy it more than my Switch (though it's my second fav) at the moment. I have a lot of games saved on to my SD card.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    I play them to relax, have fun and slowly become the best there ever was at them.

For me it's a regulation of finding a game that's fun, enjoy it and with time comes the skill for it to be better and better.
    If I don't enjoy a game I don't see the point in getting better at it.

Generally play to have fun with friends, or relive old memories and nostalgia with challenges like the Game Along on these forums.

faf

Queen of Dragons
    Years
    Primarily for fun and there are some games I do aim to get better at (Pokémon and CTR comes to mind, there is Smash I wanted to improve on too but I haven't played it for a while). Sometimes videogames enhance my creativity too depending on the game.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Nowadays I feel like I've been playing them more and more out of necessity rather than enjoyment. Maybe I've played too many games? I often times find myself playing through the first act of a game, move on to the second and immediately find myself thinking: "well, this is what the entire rest of the game will look like." and then it does. People complain about Pokemon games being formulaic, but trust me: the rest of the industry isn't anything better. In fact, there are times when I think those are even worse. At least the Pokemon games did such over the course of generations. But when a game gets me to that conclusion solely by itself and when it becomes more and more common to find this in modern games it kinda takes the joy out of playing them.

Years
    Some combination of fun, escapism and appreciation in varying combinations and degrees depending on my mood and the game in question.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    I rarely watch TV/Movies, so I prefer Video Games above all other forms of electronic entertainment/media. Also, like most of the people who have responded, it's an escape from reality, and it's tons of fun playing a video game. You're interacting with something and you get a response in return, which again promotes input from you. I don't find it to be the case when I'm watching a show, and I'd rather play games. But games aren't my only means of entertainment (obviously). I love reading books(a lot these days) and go out to play (not much these days).

Do you play games because you feel you HAVE to sometimes?
    And yes, sometimes I feel like I have to play games for some inexplicable reason. If it is so, I avoid big games and just stick to Mario Kart/ Smash/ Animal Crossing. What about you, Dawn? What promotes you to play games?

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
    Because I can play it with my abilities and because they can show me what else is possible that's not irl.

For some games, I can show one amongst many methods to complete it (such as your team choices in pokemon). For others, it shows you the combination of graphics, music, interaction and story, all packaged up for you to try out.

Years
    stress relief. i go through a bunch of stuff in life so it's nice to have that break from reality and jump straight into gaming.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    I just play for fun. I usually don't try to 100% a game unless I feel the need to. Like, even some of my favorite Sonic games I've never fully 100%'ed with emblems and everything. I've certainly tried but it's a lot to do.

pkmin3033

I think the reason I play games has changed a lot over the years, and it varies depending on what I'm playing. Mostly I play because I enjoy it, and there are very few things in life that I enjoy anymore. Without video games my life would be extremely bleak (well, more bleak than it currently is) and I definitely need that outlet of escapism and stress relief. It's not the same as having fun though, weird as that sounds - I enjoy Monster Hunter, but I wouldn't say that grinding monsters over and over and OVER for crowns is fun. I wouldn't say Rajang was fun either. The experience overall is enjoyable, but there are parts of it that I loathe.

Sometimes I play a game just for the experience. This has become more common as I've gotten older and I'm not as easily impressed as I used to be. It's obvious that very little meets the kind of standard set by Xenoblade Chronicles...and with the possible exception of Tales of Berseria, nothing has even come close to surpassing it. So I've been branching out for the sake of it, and whilst I continue playing if I enjoy myself, I often play because it's something new that I haven't tried yet...this was the case with things like Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, DOOM, etc. I've also played games I know I will hate just so I can criticise them...I've done this with basically every Pokemon game since Platinum. I tried to do it with Persona 4, and I expect at some point I will try again to do it with Persona 4. I'm weird sometimes.

I don't play a game for a challenge as much as I used to because I don't have the time or patience for it. I used to play games for Platinum trophies, but the end result of that was a lot of frustration (Marauder Shields, god why...) and a massive backlog, so I gave up with that a few years back...although sometimes I will still play a game to completion for the sense of satisfaction, as long as that outweighs the overwhelming frustration it generates. But that's a lower priority for me than it used to be, because "challenge" often means bloated HP pools, anti-grind features that just make something longer, or something pathetic like constant instant death spike pits (looking at you, Blasphemous) that just mean it's more time consuming. I've had my "hard mode" phase. Thank god.

So yeah...depends on the game. I have broad reasons, but I tend to approach titles on an individual basis these days. Things I'm unfamiliar with are for the experience, JRPGs are the ones I enjoy, Warriors games are my stress relief, and all of it is to get away from the misery that is often my life. xD

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    That really depends on the genre. I mainly play RPGS to immerse myself into the story and become more acquainted with different battle systems. Platformers are great stress relievers. As for rhythm games, I just love the satisfaction of improving both my skills and my scores.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    They've mainly been for something to do that I enjoy. Everyone should have a hobby, right? I like to think it's the same as things like watching TV or exercising for some people, where it's something they do to pass the time or feel good about themselves. I like getting better at some games and feeling like I'm making an improvement, and I like playing some to experience them or open my mind to new ideas.

I don't think I'm very skilled but I don't think I'd be anywhere near what I am today if I hadn't subtly built up skills playing the games I do.

Recently I've been trying to use them more and more as a way to meet and connect with people and build social connections, and things like this forum are one of those ways for me. I don't think I'd have anyone in my life without the connections I've built with other people because of playing games and wanting other people to play with or talk about these games with.

Overall I guess I play them to have something good in my life. Been working pretty well.~

Years
    I don't want to sound like some obsessed little troll, but I feel they (video games) have been and are an integral part of my life. I have always found enjoyment in them for as long as I can remember. My parents tell me, that even as a baby, I never liked toys. With the exception of Legos, they just never appealed to me, like, "what am I supposed to do with these?". Video games, on the other hand, just were so intriguing to me. Ever since I had enough control with my hands to pick up a controller, I was submerged in worlds of vibrant colors, amazing music, and Lego Jar-Jar Binks. Despite being a stupid 6 year old who couldn't even figure out how to get past the 2nd level, I always came back, and still come back to this day. Again, I really hope this doesn't sound stupid.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    gotta kill the time somehow

It's likely just partly habit at this point since I've been playing video games since I was like 7 or so and it's not like I was ever gonna get into extrovert hobbies. But beyond that, they're just a lot of fun and that at least partly stems from how immersive they can be, and how it's nice to in games (even if only temporarily) not have to deal with how shitty the real world is and not be the worthless waste of life I am in reality.

Back