• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yeah, like I care what you think!

Years
  • How well do you tend to take it when people say negative things about you? There are a couple ways this can be interpreted - when you're given criticism, like on what you're doing right and wrong, but that's usually something to be expected. You know you're not perfect, but how will you take it if you're told that your progress isn't satisfactory? I try not to take this too hard, because I know that you're not always gonna be able to please everyone.

Then there's the people who do stuff like call you rude names, like saying you're an idiot over something minor. Or that you're...something insulting. I don't take this very well at all, especially when the people doing it are completely careless to my feelings. For example, back before I graduated from high school, my brother would call me very rude names, know full well it was upsetting me, and not care at all. And I was hated quite a bit in my time in middle school. That's the kind of crap that makes me want to flip a table.

But how about you guys? How do you take these things? Discuss.

Sirfetch’d

Constructive criticism I take very well as should everyone because we all can improve upon the person that we are. That said, I take flat out criticism that is meant to hurt me very badly. I know I am not perfect but don't make me feel like crap. I would never do that to anyone and I don't want it done to me :\

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Constructive criticism I take very well as should everyone because we all can improve upon the person that we are. That said, I take flat out criticism that is meant to hurt me very badly. I know I am not perfect but don't make me feel like crap. I would never do that to anyone and I don't want it done to me :\

This, pretty much! I really don't mind the constructive kind, but when they do it flat-out, it really bothers me. It even affects my actions/decisions, but in a negative way.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I always look at criticism and consider if I can use it constructively. If I can't, then...it's useless to me and I don't care xD If I can, I use it to better myself. I feel like if I take people's criticisms to heart too much, I'm allowing other people too much control over what I think and feel. I do have my weak points though. But those shall not be named here :P

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have a terrible self defence mechanism when it comes to criticism that has taken me years to control. When I was younger I would tell lies to protect my own feelings. It was only once I realised what I was doing that I had to make a conscious effort to stop it. I would spend weeks after an event worrying about the lie I had told and what is going to happen when people find out, I went over conversations I had with people in case I had said something to show I was lying. I can't think of an example right now but to this day I feel very uncomfortable if someone says anything negative to me. Even if it is consturctive.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    For something constructive, I don't often respond well. I know they mean well, but I can be pretty stubborn to the point where I'll just listen politely while everything kind of goes out the other ear. Not exactly a good trait to have, but I'm working on it.

As for something like derogatory or chastising, I'm not usually affected. Ironically, my face may be flushed, but I can honestly say it doesn't bother me. Not sure why I decide to physically show signs that it gets to me, but it usually doesn't.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2014
    I really don't care what other people say about me, I mean of course it hurts a little but nothing too major.
    I love constructive criticism because it allows you to tell yourself "That person is right, this could be so much better"

The rudest person I have ever encountered is myself.
    With everything from my creative works, personal relationships, or my appearance I pretty much tear myself to shreds.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    The rudest person I have ever encountered is myself.
    ^that
    I'm far more harsh toward myself than anyone else is, and it isn't constructive. When other people say negative things, I tend to agree with them. Having a generally negative opinion of myself definitely contributes to that haha.
    It really depends on who is saying it and what exactly is being said, though. Coming from some people, I'll just laugh it off most of the time. Too many people dislike me for it to be new and bothersome. I don't mind.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I'll Just get all the blame on him for stupid reasons! And then make a comeback by criticising him and tell him he is a idiot or stupid!

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I don't really care although if it's something serious criticism I'll try and criticize him back by looking at himself or correcting his/her grammar if he/she uses a wrong on me. But, most of the time I ignore them unless I'm seriously pissed off.

Years
  • If someone says a bad thing about me just because they hate me and put little reasoning into their thoughts, then that's when I'd feel upset.. but if someone took their time to explain what they think is wrong about me, then I take things into consideration and try my best to fix what I was criticized for.

I don't always take criticism for granted, but I at least welcome it in the sense that I want people to feel more open towards me.

Years
  • I never really take things personally since I never assume people are saying things to get me down but instead to help me better myself so I can move forward. I'd say I'm pretty good at handling criticism.

But of course if anyone tells me I'm dumb they can expect me at their doorstep with a bloody axe. unacceptable grr

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Depending on the outcome, really. If it's honest and constructive, sure...I'll take it. If it's just blunt and not serious then it's just something that I really really really hate so much and that just makes me mad >:(

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
  • When I am at work, and my boss criticized the work I have done and explains why, I adjust to match what he expects. I never get told the same thing twice.

If its a negative comment, I smile and treat them kindly. Why? Because it is not my place to go nuclear on a stranger. Now, if they continue on with their hatred, they might annoy me to the point where I demand they leave. Refusal to leave, while optional, is never a good idea, and most tell from the tone of my voice that they need to leave. My aunt refused one day, and continued to bash me for being gay, and I turned around and hurled her own family issues right back at her. I only stopped once she left the room in tears.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I really don't care. People can think what they want. I'm close to my good friends and don't care what random people have to say about me.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • Ever since I've started to take nothing personally, I've been a lot happier. No point in being upset over what others say to you or how they think about you really, thats their problem.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    As much as people might think, I'm far from egotistical. I enjoy when I get constructive criticism because I can use use the advice to strengthen myself in what I'm doing, and I can also use it to motivate me. I don't always take negative feedback well, but I'm working on it. :)

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
    Years
  • I take the constructive criticism and of course, with a grain of salt. Any other sort of criticism is best ignored and I let it slide off my back. That being said, I dislike it when constructive critique starts to become overbearing, or if the person's a nag.

Back