• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your internet tone

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Does the "tone" or way you speak online change depending on whom you're speaking?

I realized today that my tone changes depending on if I'm making a thread, replying to a thread, what kind of thread I'm replying to, and whom I'm referring. If it's a VM with a close friend, it'll be kind of goofy, maybe no punctuation, not taking things really seriously, probably with a lot of caps and censored cursing if appropriate. If it's with something kind of newer that I'm no more than acquaintances with yet it's more likely to be better punctuated and far less obnoxious: not as personal, if that makes sense. For threads, my tone is more formal, and for posts in places like Forum Games I can get really sarcastic and flippant.

Years
  • my tone changes depending on if I'm making a thread, replying to a thread, what kind of thread I'm replying to, and whom I'm referring. If it's a VM with a close friend, it'll be kind of goofy, maybe no punctuation, not taking things really seriously, probably with a lot of caps and censored cursing if appropriate. If it's with something kind of newer that I'm no more than acquaintances with yet it's more likely to be better punctuated and far less obnoxious: not as personal, if that makes sense. For threads, my tone is more formal, and for posts in places like Forum Games I can get really sarcastic and flippant.

sounds about right for me.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I post formally in posts and informally in VMs/IMs. I am usually more casual in in casual conversation, but if it's a serious topic, I tend to try and be more serious in my posts. :)

Years
  • I post formally in posts and informally in VMs/IMs. I am usually more casual in in casual conversation, but if it's a serious topic, I tend to try and be more serious in my posts. :)
    This, in a nutshell for me.

However, it depends on the nature of the topic as well, but overall I tend to be more serious when making forum posts. I will be more laid back and chillish (you could say) in VMs and IMs.

Years
  • I try to keep my posts formal, with as much correct grammar and punctuation as possible. Same thing if I'm VMing someone that I've never interacted with before. Other than that, friends who I VM/IM usually get casual responses that have no trace of grammar or punctuation in them, haha. It makes it seem more like a flowing conversation that way, and not a dialogue in a book or something d:

Sirfetch’d

Depends on my mood really haha. When posting I try my best to keep everything pretty clean and formal so it looks better but when actually having a conversation I tend to use loads of emoticons, punctuation, and caps all depending on how much of a good mood I am in.

Years
  • In VMs my sarcastic side tends to show a lot. It does on threads to I guess but on most threads I tend to think I have a pretty hard to read tone. Casual I guess?

There are instances where this changes though on the threads of RPs I GM I tend to have that sort of "I'm relaxed but I'm the boss" semi-official tone for some reason but then the I'll slip into a friendly/sarcastic/VM-ish tone the moment we are just discussing characters or whatever.

In D&D... yeah. I'm pretty argumentative in D&D and tend to try to write more formally. Ironically when I'm in that "zone" I get into when arguing and debating my brain thinks too fast for my fingers to keep up and I end up making heaps of typos.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • it's pretty much the same all the time. I dunno why I post in lowercase with no emoticons and sometimes no punctuation when I'm really yolo'ing but I have for a pretty long time. I hope I have a pretty casual tone (which I think I do).

Years
  • Unless if I'm in a Skype chat, I will generally post in full punctuation and as grammatically correct as possible. I don't know why, I suppose I like people to view me as somewhat intelligent when first glancing at me on the internet (You know, because when they get to know me they realise that really I am just a moron who spouts perverted comments for fun). However, as a writer I have learned how to use being grammatically correct to my advantage for humour at the best of times.

I do try to remain laid back and jokey with people, and even when I'm trying to get a serious point across I'll try to add humour to it. I'm on the internet to have fun, not just to be all serious all of the time. The only time I avoid adding humour is if somebody has offended me or if I'm in an argument. I like people to know that I'm mad and serious when I actually am. Otherwise I just joke around a lot.

Sean

Years
  • My internet tone used to be extremely formal... but as the years have gone by, my tone has gotten a lot more casual & laidback... I guess I'm just getting lazier by every passing day, haha.

I'm typically humorous and you wouldn't see me being 100% serious unless its a subject I'm passionate about or TV Shows

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I'm pretty formal, but I can be quite informal if the topic isn't really one that needs a well thought out response/when I'm talking to friends via VM/PM. Say, if I'm in Pokemon General where there's a fair amount of discussion about Pokemon theory, then I'd be properly formal, while in a place like Forum Games, I'd be quick and less formal. I use proper spelling and grammar most of the time, though I sometimes slip up, so I guess I'm mostly formal.

Years
  • Generally I talk about the same to most people regardless of how well I know them. Over IM it's usually no capitalization or punctuation and the occasional smiley, though closer friends tend to get the smiley treatment more than others. Anything else would seem a bit stuffy.

As far as threads go.. I reply in the same style across all threads on PC. If it were a really serious topic then yeah, chances are I'd cut down on smilies but that's it.

Years
  • It depends on the seriousness of the thread/topic. Most of the time, I will keep a formal tone (albeit I may throw in an emoticon or "pft" or something informal), but if the thread/topic is more fun or not as serious (e.g., many Pokemon-related topics) then my tone will be much more informal.

As for talking to people via VM/PM or Skype or wherever, I find it also depends on the circumstances. If I'm speaking one-on-one with somebody, I tend to be more formal if I don't know them as well; similarly, my tone is informal if I know the person well enough. if I'm in a group chat, however, then my tone usually goes with the tone of the chat.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I type formally. It's just how I type. Sometimes I type in lowercase and no punctuation too though.

Years
  • I'd like to think that my internet tone doesn't really change from one person to another or from one thread to another. Generally whenever I talk/post, I take a formal approach, but there have been times when I shove as many emoticons as I possibly can into the message, haha. But in terms of actually content, I keep everything formal, and well-written with proper grammar, punctuation, etc. It's just the way I am.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • the only time my tone would ever change is if i was emailing a teacher or something

otherwise im pretty uniform in tone

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think I come off harsh when I'm really not meaning to. I don't like to use a bunch of smilies when I post, so I think that can make my posts come across as intimidating. Or something. Then again, I joke around too much for people to think I'm terribly mean. But trust me, most of the time, I'm not purposely trying to be mean. You'd know if I was.

Back