• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you ever sell or trade away your old video games?

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
  • I would never again sell a game that I owned. I've done so in the past and I'm now trying to build up and collect any old Playstation games that I used to have because I missed getting to play them so much! Usually, if I haven't played a game for long enough, say Crash Bandicoot, I start playing the music in my head and eventually it becomes so lodged in my mind that I almost NEED to play it again for closure of some kind. It's important to me to be able to return to that again any time I want.

Since we have this kind of thread... I ask something I was thinking of.

Would you guys consider trading of digital copies? In a way of changing possibility to download the game between users.
    Which means you would no longer have the possibility to download your bought copy unless you bought/traded it again.

I don't really get digital copies, but If I understand what you're saying right, then I suppose I wouldn't mind trading digital copies. I could play my game to my hearts extent, then trade with you for a different game I don't have, play that to my heart's extent and then trade it back later on :)

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i've never traded in any of my old video games. every time i go to trade them, i only get like five dollars back. it's not worth it to me.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I tend to sell games if I don't like them. No need for those. But where I live, you need an ID to sell games. So I'm stuck with the ones I don't like. xD

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • I very rarely sell my games. I'll return a few games if I hate them, but selling is generally a lot harder to do then just never playing the game again. Besides, it's not like selling crappy games is going to get you a lot of money.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • No, I could never sell my old games. Especially not if they were a great part of my childhood memories. I'd prefer to keep them on a trophy shelf and show all my grandchildren the amazing games of the 90's. xD

Although if I was in a pinch with money and happened to have an old, for example, NES game that would sell for a whole lot of money, then I'd probably do it. Depending on how bad the situation was.

Years
  • No! I'm way too attached to consider this, even if I've not played the game in years and years. Only exception I made to this was giving Pokemon Platinum to a friend but she never really played it and I kind of miss it. ;(

Years
  • I depends mostly on replay value and nostalgia for me. I won't sell old "retro" games for example, nor newer ones that I know I can return to later. Some games however outstay their welcome eventually, and since I live in quite a small apartment, there isn't much room in general. In other words, to hoard things you don't really need, that take up valuable space and that can get you some half decent value if bought/traded doesn't seem like the best of ideas...

Yukari

I would sell some... I love most of my video game collection, but some of them just aren't very good or are doubles.

Years
  • My sister and I regret selling old games, particularly the N64 ones. Even if I don't play them anymore, there's still value in keeping them just for collection purposes. Organized hoarding :P I'm slowly trying to buy back the PlayStation One games that my sister unfortunately sold before I was old enough to play and understand RPGs...

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I have only ever once traded away a substantial amount of games and I was convinced to by my ex girlfriend... and I have regretted it ever since. I hate seeing things go, I kept my old Pokemon N-64... till my sister got her hands on it and sold it... for a fraction of what it was worth as it was fully boxed with instructions...

Only other time I have ever traded games was when I literally couldn't stand playing them I hated them that much and was never going to play them.

So for me, once I have something. I will keep it even if I don't have the space I will find a way to hang onto my gaming things till they break and die on me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If I'm done with the game's storyline and it doesn't have any multiplayer option available, I usually just trade it in and get something new. If it does, though, then I keep it until I'm worn out. Only time you'd ever see me keeping a game permanently is if they actually mean something to me... such as Pokémon. xD

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I do it all the time. Whether or not the game was good doesn't matter--I'm still going to sell it to help pay for the next game. There are some exceptions, though. Games I absolutely love, like the whole Fire Emblem franchise, The World Ends with You, the Zero Escape games, etc., I would never sell. Also, games that are great multiplayer fun (like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart) are keepers, too.

But let's just be clear, I feel no remorse for selling games I'm done with. XD

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I don't really do it much, but I'm glad others do because where else could I have gotten some of the games I have then? :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2014
    I have sold video games in my days. Games that I thought was done with. I regret many of these sells today. Especially Paper Mario 2. Loved that game. One of my favorites.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I only sell/trade games if I don't like them and regret buying them. Most of my games are treasured and kept, because I never know when I want to get out some old games again.

Back