• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you actually do?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    What do you work with? Or what do you study? What is your actual expertise or focus in life, when you're not hanging around PC? Tell your fellow forumers a bit about who you are outside of here, if you want (:

Take note that this is labeled as a serious thread. I'm actually curious, haha. Not looking for stuff like "i eat cheese" or "sleep = life" unless you seriously mean that that's where you're striving towards in life. Thank you!

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
    Outside of PC, I am currently working on finishing my Bacholer of Accountancy. Writing a Business plan for some doctors on how they can make their organisation flexibel enough for the future.

Its really fun to do, cause they dont have any clue about how to run a business, so I can teach them stuf about how to set up and monitor projects, how to manage cashflows and how to make sure that the Goals you set as the Boss are followed by the rest of the 'company'. Really makes me feel like I am doing something that will help them alot :)

I do some other stuf as wel, but since this thread purpose was work.study, ill keep it at this ;)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    That's really cool, Jappo! Something very useful d:

Myself, I have a bachelor's in Chemical Biology and a master's in Organic Chemistry. Currently I'm working as a R&D engineer at a research institute, collaborating with a university. I'm trying to stay employed past September, but nothing's sure yet... Not sure what I'll do if I can't get further employment there, I really love the creative and exciting environment I've been working in and would like to stay in that town too ;;

Aside from that, I aspire to write some novels in the future. I just need to get the bazillion ideas I have down onto paper in a coherent way, instead of chapters and character profiles here and there as I have now.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
    Outside PC, I'm a student that currently focusing to get A plus for Biology, Chemistry and Physchic as well. I'm gonna apply for biochemistry in university.
    ;;
    I'm also a MMORPG player and try to play all type of MMORPG in this world.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I got my undergrad degree in Economics and I would love to get an advanced degree in it one day as well. But money doesn't grow on trees and I need to finish paying off my first round of schooling.

I wanted to combine my data skills with creativity so I've been working in the digital media and marketing industry for 3 years. I started in public relations & would work with journalists on press releases, manage our social media accounts, help with the UI for our website, and do a lot of writing: blog posts, sales presentations, tweets, etc.

Then I worked in back end ad ops and did not enjoy that. Now I work in social media marketing - I have a couple of clients that I run campaigns for. I do everything from creating strategies, to daily budgeting, media buying, media execution, and analysis on campaigns.

On the side I help with social media for a game which a blast & in the future I'd love to do marketing for a game company or some kind of company within the entertainment industry. And work for a magazine <3

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I'm 3.5 years through my four year degree, a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in Politics and International Studies & English and Theatre Studies) and Diploma in Spanish.

I've put the last semester of my degree on hold for a year to work as the CMO of the national office of a global NGO for the next twelve months. I'm in charge of the business marketing strategy which will result in businesses being pulled towards our organisation and creating partnerships between our organisations, and I'm also in charge of training our volunteers on marketing. I have a few other responsibilities like running conferences and coaching teams, too.

I've volunteered with the NGO since I started Uni and gained heaps of skills and opportunities from it. I don't study marketing but I've had a lot of marketing experience through the organisation which has opened a lot of doors. Plus I get to travel around the country (and go to Poland for a conference soon!) which is pretty sweet. It's a pretty massive opportunity (our eight-person executive recently realised there are 700 people 'below' us) and definitely worth putting uni on hold for.

I'm using this year to gain more of a strategic mindset and greater business experience before I finish my degree. I want to use my skills and experiences to work for non-profits in the future, and then later on in life when I've gained life experience and made a big impact I'd like to spend some time in education (so I can teach students about more than just a textbook, but about life).

Years
    Well right now I'm doing nothing because I'm sick, but when I'm not an invalid I work as a dance coach at the ballroom studio I train at and compete out of. I've been a student there for about ten years and teaching there for a solid chunk of that. I've completed my first qualification as a coach and I'm studying towards another but I've been held back a lot by my sickness. I'd like to open a studio of my own in the next few years and have talked a bit about doing so with another coach I'm good friends with.

Outside of dance I've completed half of a Bachelor of Education (Primary) that is currently on hold and I'm looking into getting a Diploma of School-Aged Education and Care on top of that. I love teaching and working with kids and would like to do more of it in the future either as a tutor (I've done some freelance tutoring before) or in the classroom.

As an added bonus I've started trying to do some work as a freelance writer. I've got a couple of pitches I'm working around at the moment, will keep you posted how it goes I guess.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    ...& in the future I'd love to do marketing for a game company or some kind of company within the entertainment industry.

This is exactly where I want to be in the future, and if not marketing, then psychology. I enjoy both. As for what I'm doing currently, well I'm doing a diploma of business management. After that, possibly university, possibly work. As you can tell by my age, location and current status, the hallowed HSC didn't go so well for me, so my future's been slowed a bit.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I don't have a job because personal reasons, but I've been told I'm a fairly skilled writer though. I love writing because it helps me express myself. I write what I like to call disability fiction I'm disabled myself, so it comes natural to me lol. It's something I feel that I've done for a living. It makes up for my inability of not having an actual job. I feel like it basically is my job. Writing is something that I'm usually doing the most outside of PC. Like, developing characters, developing a plot... stuff like that.

Any other time, I'm playing Pokemon often... nearly every day. I will sometimes go out where my parents go. I might even visit a friend down the street who has this two year old boy (the mom's around my age). If it counts, I also like to browse the internet for research purposes due to writing as well. I don't attend college because of the same reasons that I don't have a job. My future isn't great, but hey... it works for me, so why complain? c:

Years
    I don't have a job either but I'm told I'm good at graphics, I spend a good chunk of my time on graphic/art related forums as well as PC though lately I've had a bit of an art block.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    I just finished high school, but in the fall I'm gonna be starting work on an English degree. I have no idea where I want to take it; I've thought about journalism and I've thought about freelance writing and I've thought about becoming a high school English teacher if all else fails, but my hope is that I'll figure something out when I'm in college, and if I don't, well. we'll see what happens.

Years
    I have a 1st class BSc honours in Mathematics and I currently work for AXA UK insurance as a BI (Business Intelligence) Analyst. It involves programming in SAS, SQL and Excel VBA to produce reports that are then sent out to the wider business areas like the pricing and commercial teams or to external partners to monitor their business performance split by various KPI metrics like sales and retention. This is my role but it is not my interest.

My passion lies within my martial arts and my music. I have almost 20 years of experience in karate and I now compete in international level tournaments.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9302365&postcount=309

I am aiming towards competing in the 2020 Olympics in Japan.

As for music, I have been playing the piano for around 4 years now. I'm by no means amazing and given that I've picked it up at a later age in life, I don't think I'll ever be incredibly good. But this is something I just have to accept and I can only aim to be the best I can be in this aspect of my life.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=371328

It helps me relax and I just really enjoy it. No grand ambitions on this front as such, I just want to keep improving, even if it is at a slow pace.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    i'm about to start the final year of my degree in September which is for my BA in Creative Enterprise (Musical Theatre), even though I've got literally a year left, I'm still not 100% sure where I wanna take it after this. When I was having my interview/audition I initially wanted to be a vocal coach but eh, now I'm not sure. There's a lot I can do and I guess it's just narrowing down what I want to do (whilst staying practical) and what I'm gonna have to give up because I can't do it all lmao.

lmao I actually remember making a blog post on here about my first ever day at college when i was 16 and now i'm almost done with the entire degree yikes

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    I graduated from nursing school in January and on the 1st of February I started working fulltime as a nurse on the geriatric department. I actually already did a vacation job there before I graduated. And since they thought I was doing a good job and they needed someone, they asked me if I wanted to work there. So I was pretty sure I'd get the job.

I'm still the newbie on the workfloor, even though by now I'm used to working there. I get along with all my collegues and most look out for eachother and we don't form cliques, which does happen on some other departments.

I really love my job though, even though it can be quite intensive, both physical (like working with patients who are bedridden and can't help much) and emotionally (being a geriatric department, we often have people passing away). But I try to do the best I can for my patients~

Aside from that (and often having irregular week schedules) I love to go out with my friends. Usually we go to some pubs and just hang around and talk. But me and two of my best friends decided to go to some shack in the middle of nowhere in September. It doesn't even have electricity (but has some generators), it'll be fun.

I also love to learn more about prehistory. Right now I'm really interested into the Paleozoic era (which is everything between the first multi-cellular life until just before the dinosaurs appeared).
    My interest for prehistory has bordered obsession at times though. It's been a huge passion for me ever since I was a little kiddy and it never went away.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
    i just finally got out of hell at this school i went to for three years
    now i am doing absolutely NOTHING - loving it, needed that, after so much stress for three years long.
    .... BUT not nothing, im applying for general jobs, hoping somebody is gonna take me and give me some money... so i can save money and whilst i do that think about what i actually wanna do with me life
    ...23 and still no clue whatsoever :|

also, i am about to focus on this special japanese style of crafting and going to try my best... if it turns out good i might try and make a few and see if people are interested in buying my stuff, it is absolutely not a thing in my country as far as i know so it might be smashing success... i would love for it to become a new hobby/way to make a bit of money ^_^​

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I'm just a middle school student. I play the violin as extracurricular classes and I like to play videogames and hanging out with my friends on my spare time (EDIT: And watching anime, how could I forget ^-^ ). I do not have any outstanding qualities so instead of using my time to improve or something I like to try learning things that simply look fun for me. When I graduate school, I do not want to go to college, and I will most likely either work on improving my musical abilities or study to be able to make sweets and open a small cake shop in my city.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
    I'm currently a NEET, I voluntarily quit my job and hated how my career was going. Job hunt's tough because my resume sucks, it's difficult to transition without any experience, and I was doing low quality office work for the past two years since my college graduation. I moved out of my parents' place and living off what I made from that job so I'm not leeching off anyone, though. Being on my own was the best decision I've ever made in my life, made a ton of new friends, ended my toxic longterm relationship and started a new one with someone more compatible with how I've grown and got involved in various communities when I was previously a basement dwelling shut-in, learned a lot about myself as a person. Honestly, my life's the best it's ever been except for the whole job thing LOL.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    I'm in my last year of school at Salem State for computer science. Originally I was in school for education at UMass, but after a brief internship I quickly decided that working with kids REALLY wasn't for me, haha.

Aside from that I work in landscaping and construction over the summer. During the school year I have a job as an EMT. Nothing glorious, but the pay is pretty solid.

Other than that I'm involved in my schools rugby team and really in to powerlifting on the side. I used to be pretty heavy in to gaming, particularly MMOs, but I don't have nearly the time that I used to for things like that.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
    I work at a gift shop and study French translation as well as learning Japanese.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    I'm currently about to enter my last trimester of university and will be graduating with a Bachelor of Design Innovation majoring in Media Design and Information Systems - finishing late October and graduating next May.

Right now I'm doing a couple of internship placement programs to hopefully land me a summer job come November-December - looking at Web Design/ Front-End Development, though also jobs under social media marketing, photography and film/video - whatever I'm lucky with I guess? I have two specilisations within my media design major which happens to be Game Design and 3D Modelling & Animation, but I'm not leaning on those to get jobs. Am taking online classes for Digital Marketing, Search Engine Optimisation and Social Media Marketing to say "hey i am certified to do the thing cause and i studied it"

Honestly, I'm just looking forward to take a break after 4 years of university xD Will most likely be heading to Japan and Philippines next year and America sometime after for holidays. Australia I might be looking into since there are more job opportunities there than here - but who knows?

Wanted to make creative designish/artisticish videos for youtube, but that's been put on hold till November xD

Back