• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Often do you get a new Phone?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Since technology is always evolving, I'm sure no one sticks to the same smartphone for too long. How often do you get a new phone?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The last phone I got and that actually was mine from the beginning and not a worn one from someone else, was like 2001 or maybe 2002. I don't even remember what brand it was. My latest, actually in use, phone I got in like 2013 (not sure tbh.) and even then it had alreay a couple years of use. But it's one of those slidable ones and you can even exchange the battery!
Since technology is always evolving, I'm sure no one sticks to the same smartphone for too long.
Bold statement to make when I'm around! :P

Years
Uh, around two to three years is my average? By then it starts to become noticeable that the phone has been extensively used, and I do use my phone a lot so that wears it down faster. Replaced my recent iPhone 7 with an iPhone XS and gave the 7 to my mom. She really needed a replacement and seems to really like the bigger screen for reading news and checking e-mails. =)

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
You'd be surprised to know that I hardly get a new phone. If it gets old enough and starts having issues, then yes... but I've had good luck with my iPhone 8. I figure if it works... it works. There's no point in getting my upgrade, and I like to save that for when something goes wrong with it. I also can't back it up on my laptop due to it's own problems. So, if I get a new phone... I have to start over.

Years
When it becomes rly obvious that it cant handle my bs anymore

Which is usually in 2 years

Years
Because I refuse to be behind the times with my technology (really though, genuinely no offense to people who can keep hones for longer than 2-3 years you guys are champs), I usually switch out every 2 years or so, even if my last phone is more or less perfectly fine.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Until it can't be used for most of its purposes.

My previous smartphone felt dead after 2 years, but this current one seems to be still fine at 4 years.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
I replace my phone about every two years or so, when the contract expires. However, I used to get a model that was two or even three models older as the price was then very cheap for the plan I could get with it. It wasn't until my current phone where I put the contract under my own name and started paying for it myself where I bought the latest model (Galaxy S9). Huge difference jumping from something like the S6 (especially in storage and RAM; I can fit all my games and they don't crash).

Bay

Years
I also don't switch out phones until my last one is on its last legs. I still have my iPhone 6 I got since Christmas 2014. Before that, I had a Galaxy S2 for some years loool.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Roughly three years, or four. I think four was my longest, that was my iPhone Color or whatever it was called, I really liked that phone but it started to die. lol

My current phone I got in 2017, and it's starting to wear down now, and I'll probably have to get another one within the next year, oof.

Emilia

~ free falling
Years
Roughly three years, or four. I think four was my longest, that was my iPhone Color or whatever it was called, I really liked that phone but it started to die. lol

My current phone I got in 2017, and it's starting to wear down now, and I'll probably have to get another one within the next year, oof.

Wait was it an iPhone 5c? I think the C in that stands for color..

It's funny because that's the phone I have right now. I got it when I was like 13 so I've had it for about 7 years now? Maybe 8? I can't count. :p
My first phone I got so I can't exactly answer the thread but I'll probably keep my phone until it's dead and then I'll get a new one lol

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I fight to the death for my phones. I will limp along a barely working phone (provided it still makes calls / texts) just so I don't have to get a new one. This has been as short as three years and as long as seven. I'm on year two of my newest phone and I expect to get a hell of a lot more out of it.

I'm poor, I can't afford this shit.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Whenever my phone is on the verge of being non-functional, I'll replace it but otherwise I will stick with my phone for as long as possible. Though most of my previous phones were already 'used' (used to belong to someone else in my family). So I get a new phone every 3 or 4 years perhaps, after the phone finally gives up on me :')

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2021
I bought my first phone when I was 15, and I'm still using it, so it's been about 4 years now. I saved up for it when I got my first job, so that's probably why I take really good care of it and don't want to replace it. I had thoughts about replacing it last year when the new iPhones came out, but I didn't do it because I really didn't need it. My phone is still in basically perfect condition, only the battery dies a little bit faster, so I just carry around a portable charger if I know I'm going to be using it often.

As long as it keeps working the way it is now, I'm not going to replace my phone for a while.

Fleurdelis

Endless pain and suffering
Years
I get a new phone when my old one breaks down and no longer functions properly, ergo very slow reactions, battery that drains faster than I can say whatthehellisgoingonwithmyphone, etc.

I try to keep it at 7 years till I get a new one.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 15, 2019
I've been using Samsung S8 for years. No regrets. I just love Linux and ANdroid. Typing on Arch Linux on my laptop

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
Like a many people here, I also only switch out my phone when it's coming close to dying. I've had my OnePlus 5T for a over a year now, but the last phone I had was for 3 years, and I only got that because I broke the phone that was supposed to last me ages by tipping orange juice on it. Whoops. Safe to say I'm very happy with this phone, I've boot-looped it and soft-bricked it and it's still working like it was born yesterday. Great piece of hardware, I recommend OnePlus phones to everyone!

Years
I fight to the death for my phones. I will limp along a barely working phone (provided it still makes calls / texts) just so I don't have to get a new one. This has been as short as three years and as long as seven. I'm on year two of my newest phone and I expect to get a hell of a lot more out of it.

I'm poor, I can't afford this shit.

Get a Nokia itll last you a decade ;)))))

Years
Normally I cling on to my phones until they stop working, and only then do I upgrade to something else. The only exception to that was when I got my iPhone SE in mid-2016, and I upgraded to an 8 Plus shortly after those came out in September 2017. I was just tired of having a phone with such a small screen, and my sister was looking to get a new phone, so I used that as my excuse to give that one to her, and pick up my 8 Plus. I'm not a big fan of the new buttonless phones, so I'm probably going to run this thing into the ground too, and hopefully get at least 4 years out of it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Last year, I got a Xiamoi Redmi phone as a birthday present, now feeling that I damaged the phone severely and require much repair my dad thinks its time to get a new one, so last one currently is Samsung phone

Back