• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think we'll ever get a game with all regions?

Years
  • A lot of people think something like this could be really exciting, and would undoubtedly result in a lot of sales for TPC. Others say it's not a smart decision since it'll make future main series games, which only have one region, less desirable. Where do you stand? Do you think we'll get a game like this at some point?

Years
  • mmmm, i'm never sure where i stand on an "all regions" game. i feel like it might be one of those things that's good on paper, absolutely terrible in execution sorta things. i suppose the first thing that comes to mind is the level scaling.... what's gonna happen after johto? is everyone from hoenn onwards starting from the first gym leader going to scale to your team's level (which is likely going to be very high by the time you're done with johto)? it... i dunno. something about it just doesn't sit right with me. it's a fun idea, don't get me wrong, but i'm having issues wrapping my head on whether or not the actual experience would be enjoyable.

do you just get on a boat as soon as you're done with one region's e4 and travel to the next region? how would plotlines intertwine, since there's so many legendary pokemon out there? there's a lot to take into consideration when going with an all regions game which is why i have my doubts if Game Freak is ever going to go this route. :c

i'm not one to say never, especially since we don't know what the future may hold. but i see it as incredibly unlikely. perhaps (and this is a BIG maybe) we'll get a new game with multiple regions, but they'll all be intertwined into one overarching story and that's the most i can see happening.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Agrees with colours. Worries about region detail too. Might remove a lot of features that made regions unique (such as the bug catching contest, gambling, sales, secret bases, underground, contests).

Also, how many Pokemon will there be? Failed to deliver a full Pokedex on a normal game. Did not mind that, personally. Becomes very noticeable in a game with all regions, though.

Calls for a different Elite Four structure, additionally. Views the Elite Four as a pinnacle moment towards the game's goal. Loses its impact by the story's third round.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I suppose it could work in a very anime - you gotta start from scratch whenever you beat a region - way but if you mean the normal sense a la HGSS on steroids, I don't think it'd work.

Maybe if instead of the gym leaders of all towns you had a World League which would have you travel all around the world to get the badges? (Like the Galar anime season, I suppose).

Still, I think it's bound to not be a thing due to technical details alone.

Years
    • Seen today
    It will never happen. Probably just cannot happen because it would be something way too big for any company to handle.

Not only there's the problem that the game would need to be ridiculously gigantic to hold 8 (and eventually more) full regions, with all their Pokémon and characters, but it would also require a different structure in regards to how level progression works, because they'd have to either force team/level resets upon reaching every new region or do something about the trainer levels because by the time you clear a region you're usually around the levels 50-60 (and even more if we count post game) so by the second region you'd likely have a level 100 team.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • No, we never will. I highly doubt Game Freak will ever do that. I can maybe see a Pokemon game with all of the Japanese regions, but not all of the regions we have currently. I fear that if they did, they'd scale everything down immensely to fit everything. I also wouldn't want a game like that because there's honestly no way no way a game like that would be balancable.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i doubted we would back when there were only three regions, now with 8 main regions, i think it's incredibly unlikely. that's way too much lol

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    If they ever decided to do something like I'm afraid they'd do the most obvious way that is still somewhat possible: include all regions, but severely limit accessibility to only a few places per region.

In that sense every regional part you encounter is kinda similarly designed like towns are designed in current game iterations. You would probably do a small piece of the story in that one area of one region, maybe get a badge and then immediately move on to the next region where the next story piece happens and the next badge is collected; rince and repeat until you're done.

Thinking about it, that doesn't sound like a fun idea. There's just way too much jumping between different "settings". Players can't really settle into one region when they're constantly on the run to the next.

As for a game with entire region: think of the largest video game you have heard of. Chances are, it took forever to make. GF isn't going to get as much time for a mainline Pokemon game, even for one region; let alone 8+ regions. After all: if you make a game with multiple regions it only makes sense if every one of them gets enough content. Otherwise it just runs stale very very fast.

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
  • It would be nice, but likely to large for the switch to handle. Also if they did that then there would not be a remake for quite a while, due to all the regions being in a recent game.

Cid

Years
  • I can only see it in an MMO type of game, and I feel like Pokemon GO is the closest thing that The Pokemon Company will ever allow the franchise to get to that all-regional-Pokedexes-in-one-game feel.

If they did create an MMO, they could do it so that you can only use Pokemon below a certain level based on the amount of Gym Badges (or in Alola, the amount of Stamps) you currently have, giving you a reason to use some lower-level Pokemon you caught in a previous region that you never got the chance to use in your party. There could also be the option of having some of your strongest Pokemon reset to level 5 at a new region if it can normally be obtained at that level, with its level being dependent on the region it's in currently. That way, your Pokemon's level represents the experience it has with a particular region, being understandably inexperienced in a new one, and highly familiar with an old one that it presumably already won the championship in.

Years
    • Seen today
    The scale of what games can pull off is becoming massive, so I do think it's feasible. It sounds like a cool concept, but I don't know how well it would be executed.

Not sure if the switch is strong enough for such a thing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It would be really fun, but I could never see Game Freak doing that and honestly if they did it would be bare bones. A four region game between Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh flows better in my mind and seems workable. Even so, that happening would be shocking to me.

Years
  • Based on a company's view - why make money on essentially one "remake" starring all regions/gens when you can draw it out in individual ones?

That aside, it would be super cool to see, but I feel it would have the same issue as all these fangames you see trying to do the same thing. In order to make it immersive, there's going to be a LOT of content needed and I think for a Pokémon game, there's only so much Catching a Pokémon, Training a Pokémon, Beating the Region League that you can do. If they incorporated different elements from different spin-off games (Stadium-style battling, Orre mechanics, etc.) then I think it could work.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I would definitely love an all regions game. But I feel they wouldn't have the patience to make a game with all 8 gen Pokemon in it. Unless maybe as a spinoff title that didn't have a short deadline.

That being said I'd prefer if it was just Kanto to Kalos.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    I don't think this will happen or should happen for some of the reasons mentioned(ex. Quality might be impaired) but also due to the fact that it actually doesn't make a lot of sense if we consider that these regions are based off of places that are literally scattered around the world. This means if we actually traveled from l, say, Japan to the US, then to France....that would be incredibly challenging for a full grown adult, let alone a 10 year old(though, admittedly, the games are not designed to be realistic, but I digress).

What is more realistic, and I would like to see is a bigger Pokémon game based off of games in regions that are close together in real life. For example, it'd be very cool to travel between Galar and Kalos or Unova and Orre(from Colliseum on the GC) and maybe even Alola, though it may be better to wait until an additional island region game is made to pair that with Alola and make it more of a Legend of Zelda Windwaker kind of experience.

More so, what I would really love to see would be a game that combines all the regions based off of Japanese regions in real life(Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh). I've seen real world comparisons to the regions of Japan that these regions are based on, and I think their comparisons make a lot of sense and could realistically be included all in one game in a way that makes logical sense in the game and in real life(ex. Start in Hoenn, train east to Kanto/Johto, travel between those two regions in the same way as before, then fly to Sinnoh). It would still be a HUGE game, but it would be incredibly fun, and if done right I'm sure it'd be appreciated by seasoned fans.

Long winded response, but just my two cents. lol think this idea is personally a ton of fun and would love to see it. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    A lot of people think something like this could be really exciting, and would undoubtedly result in a lot of sales for TPC. Others say it's not a smart decision since it'll make future main series games, which only have one region, less desirable. Where do you stand? Do you think we'll get a game like this at some point?

No. Think about the gameplay issues making a game like that, how would they even mange to level curve everything properly.

Years
  • No. Think about the gameplay issues making a game like that, how would they even mange to level curve everything properly.

There are many ways to go about it though, I think. One suggestion I've seen thrown around in the community is making you have to box your entire team each generation, and only being allowed to use Pokémon caught in that specific region.

Also would be cool to have automatic level scaling - if you're team is past a certain point, they'd be scaled down to fit. So for Misty for example, maybe everything you own would get scaled to no higher than 25.

Wishful thinking but I like to dream! haha

Years
  • Technologically, it seems tough atm, i think? (im no programmer/computer person so idk)
    I think it'll be possible on other platforms, though, such as PC. I do agree that it'll make the future titles less desirable. Once a great feature is shown in a game, it'll always be in-demand.
    If they do it, though, this all-regions kind of game, it'd be great marketing if they could do release it on Pokemon's 100th or 50th anniversary. Long ways away, lots of improvement could be done.

Honestly, even just a game of Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova in one game would be already awesome. (Kanto and Johto would be great too but there's already HGSS & Gen 2 for that)

Years
    • Seen today
    There are many ways to go about it though, I think. One suggestion I've seen thrown around in the community is making you have to box your entire team each generation, and only being allowed to use Pokémon caught in that specific region.

But that would probably defeat the purpose of being one game with all regions. If nothing carries over and you have to restart your team from scratch in every new region anyway, it would be basically the same as beating, let's say, Pokémon X, then switching cartridges and start a new game in Pokémon Sun, except you'd just have a more consistent experience because Pokémon, moves, abilities, etc. won't have changes between different playthroughs.

Level scaling is also tricky and hard to implement in a smart way. Even if your level 70 team gets scaled down to level 20 to fight a level 20 gym leader in another region, you'd still have the advantage of having an all fully evolved team, most likely with definitive move sets.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Also from a development and marketing perspective, it would not at all be worth it to make 8x the game content and sell it for the same price as the regular game.

Back