• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You haven't WHAT?

Years
    Maybe you've never seen a Star Wars film, or listened to a Beatles album, or read To Kill a Mockingbird. What media do people keep telling you is an absolute must that you haven't got round to yet, or simply have no interest in?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have not watched any sort of anime outside of Pokemon.

I'm always willing to try things, so I've watched an episode or two of stuff that's been recommended. I haven't found anything that's gripped me enough.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I feel so called out by this thread, where do I even begin :D

I'd never seen Star Wars until last month! My knowledge of Star Wars growing up was exclusively limited to understanding who the characters were (or at least I thought I knew until it turns out K9 wasn't a Star Wars character...) I would never have checked it out if Austin hadn't been so shocked that I'd never seen it and told me to go watch it. To me it's exciting as Star Wars is such a well-known series that has such detailed world-building and characters. Having never been exposed to major spoilers growing up, I think it's exciting to have the experience of going through such a well loved series for the first time and getting shocked at what happens even if its obvious to people who have seen it. I've been having fun with it!

Outside of Star Wars, it's interesting that you mention To Kill a Mockingbird. I would have never read it if it had not been a set school text when I was in high school. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird though. My mum is a strong reader and we own a lot of popular and classic texts at home. She loves To Kill a Mockingbird too so we ended up seeing the Broadway play in New York about a year and a half ago. To Kill a Mockingbird is also what made me have an initial interest in pursuing law even if I didn't act on it until 5 years later. It's incredible what can happen just by being made to check out a well-known text.

I think going from that, there are popular texts I know I haven't read or seen. I made it a goal one year to read a lot of classic texts that were popular as I was curious if they lived up to their reputation so I spent a while reading books such as Oliver Twist, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, Frankenstein... but I know there are still ones I haven't even read yet like 1984 that are well-known (or I guess just HS English texts). Perhaps I will get around to them in the reading challenge! I also am still working through the rest of the Narnia series, I will cross it off my bucket list one day.

For TV and films, I can tell you I have not watched a lot of popular series at all. I think the first two that come to mind is that I've never seen Game of Thrones or most of the Marvel franchise outside of the Spiderman movies. I've read the first book for ASOIAF though and the 800 page commitment means I'll try to get through the other ones soon as I own them! It never occurred to me growing up that I could use my free time to be watching TV or films so I'm trying to make up for it now these days. :'D

Years
    Game of Thrones is the only thing that comes to mind atm.

I have been refusing to watch it, after playing a game based on it that was such an utter snoozefest.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, people never recommend me anything, so I guess I didn't miss out?

Tbh, I don't subscribe to streaming services so basically every one of those exclusive shows that people keep talking about like The Witcher, Game of Thrones(?), Castlevania and whatever else there is. It's probably similar with other media like books and music.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Pretty much any modern show or game I don't watch or play. I'm very much controlled by my nostalgia and tend not to give newer things a try. And anything I didn't watch or play as a kid is typically a no-go as well. So Star Wars is something I've never actually watched (I saw about 20 minutes of the original and got bored and stopped). Never seen The Witcher, Game of Thrones, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black, or anything that people raved over. Never played Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, Among Us, or many of the popular games. And I don't listen to much new music, either.

I don't feel like I'm missing much, tbh.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Anything Kardashian-related. I just canNOT stand them. Yet all my irl friends love to keep up with them, apparently.

Oh and I'm one of the few that didn't bother to see a single Game of Thrones episode. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    I haven't watched Forest Gump and I never will. The hair on my pinky finger has more character than Tom Hanks

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    funny you mention to kill a mockingbird lol. i have actually never read it. it wasn't in the curriculum in my high school years. to attest to how quickly things change though, my sister who is 5 years younger did read it because it was in the curriculum by the time she reached...whatever grade that was. then again, it's also possible that it was on the reading list for standard english classes. i was in college prep which might have had a slightly different curriculum. but also i'm from alabama so like lmfao. who even knows.

the thing about movies and books, hell even playing games, if people are shocked i haven't watched/read/played them, it's just like. good luck trying to get me too bc watching movies and reading books just consumes too much of my time. listening to music is something i can do without having to focus on it too much. like yeah, there's some level of focus, but movies and books require much more, books and games especially. so i'll listen to albums and whatnot typically bc like...it's so easy to do, you know? and i enjoy music and if something is highly acclaimed, i'd like to listen and see why. and i can do that without having to sacrifice doing something else. much easier.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    people haven't read to kill a mockingbird?!??!? Isn't that book taught in school?!?

Anyway, The Avengers movies. I've only seen one of them.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
    I watch very little TV or movies (I find movies particularly attention-demanding, and I need to pause them frequently if I watch them), and tend to prefer less mainstream music styles so there's a lot of shows/movies/music from pop culture that I have never watched or listened. For example I've never watched anything from Game of Thrones, to name one, nor seen any Marvel superhero movie. And as a kid I used to be a Star Wars fan, but that died out quickly and by the time the latest trilogy was filmed I had no interest in it - I eventually watched Episode 7 on TV a few years ago, but found it incredibly uninteresting and haven't had any intention to watch the newer films. About video games, I don't really play that much and typically only a few series or games that I really enjoy (the last few months it's been mostly Civilization and OpenTTD), so for example I never played any Assassin's Creed game (to name a big franchise), nor Fortnite, PUBG, League of Legends, or other multiplayer titles.

Recently I started forcing myself to watch some more culturally significant movies, in particular keeping up with the classics of Italian cinema from the 40s to the 60s, but I've only watched a few of them so far, even if I'd like to continue. The same goes for music, where I try to listen to classics from genres I don't usually listen to a lot - blues, early rock'n'roll, also some jazz even if, not being used to it, I usually take some time and a few listens to appreciate a record.

About To Kill a Mockingbird, I have read it out of personal interest, but I think that outside of the USA it's just another foreign classic, so it's not uncommon to find people who haven't read it. But here in Italy the equivalent "mandatory high school book" is The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni, which in fact I have not read (outside of some excerpts), as our teacher that year had us read Il Gattopardo by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa instead. Which, by the way, 15-year-old me didn't like at all, but after reading more critics and viewpoints I plan to read it again someday. The problem is that, even if I read a lot, I keep buying books faster than I read them...

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Rarely receives non-game recommendations. Bases this off of what others talk about.

Television: Star Trek, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, and Tiger King.
    Movies: Any Avengers movie.
    Books: Dune and Discworld.
    Music: A lot. Disregarded music until high school. Stuck to game music then. Heard bits of popular stuff through commercials, movies, and maybe a sibling sometimes.
    Anime: Probably Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and One Piece? Tried most of the popular ones.

Last edited:
    Years
    Haven't seen a single Star Wars movies.
    Haven't seen a single Harry Potter movie.
    Haven't seen a single Star Trek episode/movie.
    Haven't seen a single Game of Thrones episode.
    Haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird once.
    Almost didn't see a single MCU movie until 2018 when my family made me watch Infinity War with them, thus making me and my gf wanna binge watch the whole saga lol.

I've been a pro at avoiding the mainstream in my youth, but I suppose I regret it now since it's harder to relate to people my age. Huh.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Hmmm, well here's a few:

Never watched any Star Wars movies - although I'm pretty sure I can recite most of the plot points due to sheer cultural osmosis.
    Never read To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, anything from Chris Vonnegut (although that author is in my general to read list).
    Never heard Beatle albums, never watched West Side Story (both stage and movie), never watched Jaws.

I'm not the most mainstream of dudes out there, lol.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    people: spiderman into the spiderverse was soo good
    me: haven't seen it
    people: omg
    You know something... I haven't got round to it yet either 😅
    Omg do it, it's actually really funny and sweet :3

Haven't seen a single Star Wars movies.
    Haven't seen a single Harry Potter movie.
    Haven't seen a single Star Trek episode/movie.
    Haven't seen a single Game of Thrones episode.
    Haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird once.
    Almost didn't see a single MCU movie until 2018 when my family made me watch Infinity War with them, thus making me and my gf wanna binge watch the whole saga lol.

I've been a pro at avoiding the mainstream in my youth, but I suppose I regret it now since it's harder to relate to people my age. Huh.
    Who even are you if you haven't seen these things, like, these things are my personality??

Except mockingbird. Never heard of it aside from people online talking about it.

Back