• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old were you when you first got into the series?

Years
  • We have a lot of fans in the community - some that first got into it at a young age, others that picked the series up in their teenage years, and people that didn't start being fans until they were adults.

When did you first get into it?

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I started watching the anime at 4 years of age!! I was in preschool. I didn't get into the games until I was 7, however, and my first game was Pokémon Pearl.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I was also about 7 years old when I first got into Pokemon, except I was 7 in the '90s and not the 21st century

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I was 11 and in 5th grade when we got Pokemon here in the States and EVERYONE was playing it.

Years
  • Started with the cards way back in elementary school.
    First game was Red then followed by Blue & Yellow. Pretty sure I played em not that long after release in 1999 at least. Which would make me either 7 or 8 years old at the time depending on when exactly (which is too hard to pin down by now xD)
    Given that I already did cards before then 7 is a safe number though.

Years
    • Seen today
    I would have grown up with Gen 4 since I was around 8 years old when those were big. For some reason I was more into Gen 3 so that's primarily the age and games that I had played.

I could have played Black/White growing up, but I fell out of the series for a bit. We couldn't afford new games either.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Around March 2007. I was 10 at the time. I feel like that's the normal age most people get into Pokemon, but who knows? Lol. But yeah, got into it during a time when "Pokemon is dead" or something.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I was 6 when I started watching the anime. Some of the first episodes I watched were about how Ash obtained Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. I thought Squirtle was the coolest of the bunch. I got Pokemon Blue for Christmas in 1998.

Years
  • ... good god i barely even remember. i think maybe five or six? i know i got into the anime and tcg before the games as i would keep up with both a lot back then. so i think around five or six seems appropriate.

Years
  • 11 I believe. My cousins had DS's with Diamond and Pearl in them. They got bored with the game after sometime, but I got hooked.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    4 or 5 (2001/2002) when I started playing the cards game and watching the anime.
    7 or 8 (2004/2005) when I finally received my first games (FireRed & Sapphire).

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I was 8 when a friend brought this weird game that was all the rage in the US about a fire lizard who burnt small pigeons to death. We didn't understand a word of English so we couldn't get past the coffee guy in Viridian City. One year later I got Blue in Spanish and now I'm 31.

Years
  • I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I first got into Pokémon with the anime. My twin brother and I had a bunch of the VHS tapes and we would watch them all the time. As for the games, I started with Crystal. I played RBY and GS a little bit, but I was annoyed that I couldn't play as a girl, so I didn't really pick up the games until Crystal came out.

Back