• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Water vs. The Land

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Spr_RS_Team_Magma_Grunt_F.png
Spr_RS_Team_Aqua_Grunt_F.png

Basically polar opposites, Team Aqua and Magma are the villans from Gen III. Team Magma wants to use the power of Groudon to make Hoenn more of a landscape, resulting in less water. Team Aqua wants to use the power of Kyogre to make Hoenn to flood, resulting in less land. Respectively, Magma is led by Maxie, and Aqua is led by Archie.

Which Villain Team did you appreciate the most? Which one had the better outfits, and which one had the better Admins/Boss? Any other thoughts, you can share em' here!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Both teams had stupid plots--are the people going to become fish people after the sea expanded??? Nevertheless, I've always liked Maxie over Archie. As much as I'm a fan of the "bad boy" stereotype, Maxie's wits are obviously more superior.

Costume-wise, I think Team Aqua wins this hands down. Volcano hoods, seriously? It's all about bandannas you know! Arg matey and all that stuff :p

Sirfetch’d

Team Aqua definitely wins here haha. I don't like the look of Magma in all honesty and I felt their ambitions were a little dumber. I mean come on a land without water?? Also Archie had the much cooler name and assistant so another +1 for Aqua!

Years
I'm with Team Aqua as well. The pirate theme with their uniforms is really cool and they use Water-types which is my fave type. I know that Ruby was the version I played of the originals but it was long after finishing it that I discovered I loved Team Aqua much more than Team Magma, and that was what led to me to play Alpha Sapphire when the remakes came around.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I'm a little more fan of Team Magma, preferring Maxie over Archie. Maxie looks more like he really planned things out, while Archie seems more to just have formed a crew and acts without thinking. (Still, they're equally stupid as seen in comparison of Ruby and Sapphire.)
Team Aqua's costumes look better, making them look like wannabe pirates.
Team Magma also wins on their motive. I can't really see why you want to expand the sea as humans clearly aren't very good swimmers. I don't know what Team Aqua will do. They hardly have any water Pokémon themselves, the majority being Zubat and Poochyena. They even need a submarine to go to the bottom of the sea. And that calls itself Team Aqua!

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
i like maxie better than archie and team magma has pretty cute costumes so...team magma for me.
also, in terms of colors, red > blue :pink_tongue:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I may be a bit biased here, but I've always way preferred Team Magma. I definitely like their costumes a lot over Team Aqua's, simply because they just shine so much more of badass, whereas Team Aqua's has always come off as pirate costumes to me, and I've just felt like that was really unfitting for whatever reason. I think Team Aqua become a lot cooler in the remakes, but for the originals, Team Magma definitely takes the cake when it comes to the costumes. I also really like the mixture of red and black over blue and white, so there's also that.

There's not a huge difference when it comes to Pokemon. In general, I actually usually prefer Water types, but I feel like when it comes to evil teams, it's more about the coolest Pokemon, and the Fire types are definitely have more of those. Water types are usually more elegant in their designs, even though Sharpedo is one of the exceptions. But yeah, their Pokemon are mostly the same, apart from the Camerupt/Sharpedo. Between Groudon and Kyogre, I've always preferred Groudon as well. Kyogre is definitely the strongest of the two, but I've always heavily preferred the design of Groudon. Its name sounds so much more menacing as well. That's not to say I don't like Kyogre though, I've just always preferred Groudon between the two.

And lastly, I also prefer Team Magma's cause honestly. Looking from a real world perspective, I definitely wouldn't want either of them to go through, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think Hoenn could use less water. I've already mentioned in the Deoxys Challenge how much I dislike the amount of water, and especially in the third generation games where the repels are so incredibly expensive. So for Magma to create some more land to walk on wouldn't be the end of the world for me 8D

But yeah, that about sums it up. In general I feel like Magma outshines Aqua on so many levels, though a lot of this is leveled out in the remakes, especially since they also factor in the personalities of the two leaders (even though I still prefer Maxie there 8D). But again, like I said, I'm kinda biased due to Ruby being the version I first got and played through. My opinions might have been different if I'd gotten Sapphire, but that wasn't the case :D

Years
Although I implied that I don't care for either of them, if I had to choose i'd go with Team Magma. I just found their demeanor to be more menacing, and their costumes have a design that appeals to me more. There isn't much else for me to really say about them, so yeah, Magma gets my vote.

Years
I am on Aqua's side. Mostly cos I prefer Water Pokemon and their secret hideout.
Plus they have a submarine.
Realistically though, none of them were right. Expecting to be able to control a Pokemon to raise the amount of water/land is just dumb. It wouldnt work. I think.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
Years
Magma all the way. Dont like water as a type, hate large bodies of water, and even though I dislike both legendaries I think Kyogre looks much worse than Groudon. Magma has the better outfits too. Shame GF made a trainer that reminds me of myself in the remakes but she was on Aqua.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I started with Ruby so I'm supposed to stick with Team Magma! However, my love for Water-type is stronger than the power of nostalgia. Soooo.... Team Aqua here. ;)

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
Years
For me
Red>Blue
And also, I like Ground type more than water, so, I'll go with Team Magma.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I think that Team Magma had a more sensible goal, although both goals were ridiculous. Assuming that the Pokemon world also has more water than land, just like ours, it can solve things like overpopulation (I doubt that the Pokemon world faces that issue however lmao)... so based on their ambitions, I would have gone with Team Magma, but Team Aqua had better outfits, water type Pokemon rock, and I'm a swimmer myself.. so Team Aqua here. :P

Years
Magma!
I can understand expanding the land because as it is, there's more water on earth than land, and most of it is salty anyway, more land would mean more places to live and grow more food.
Plus I like Tabitha.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Magma had the outfits and ideals, but Aqua had the battles. Too much water and you want to add more? No thanks. Get out of my region and take your giant whale fish legendary thing with you.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Team Aqua all the way, omg. Sapphire was my favorite in Gen III and I'm currently playing my Alpha Sapphire, I just like the characters more overall as well. I live for the Team Magma female grunts' outfits, though.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
I love Kyogre more than Groudon but I'm on Team Magma's side. Because they have smarter and more logical leader than Team Aqua's (Seriously, wtf were you doing Archie?) Their pokemon were my favorites too. I didn't like the Crawdunt and Sharpedo.. Plus, I vote to Team Magma at costumes again because, I don't know why, I liked Team Magma Grunts's costumes (especially female ones) and they seemed a little sexy to me.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Team Aqua had some pretty great costumes and their goal kinda made sense...i mean besides wiping out anything that lives on land ex. Humans

Back