• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you open about your love of Pokemon?

Years
  • We know that we all love Pokemon, whether it'd be playing the games, watching the anime, collecting Pokemon merchandise and doing other Pokemon fan things, the question is are you open about your love of Pokemon?

Do you discuss Pokemon with others in real life? Do you feel you're too old for Pokemon? And if you are open about being a Pokemon fan, what makes you proud about it?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I haven't discussed it with people all that much. I did talk about playing Pokemon Go a few times during the summer with family members and made a couple of general Pokemon references here and there, but I haven't told anyone about going back and watching the episodes of the anime in my downtime since first playing the game. I haven't bought any Pokemon merchandise because most of what I've seen I felt was not worth the price, and I didn't like how the cheap t-shirt I saw felt on me. I don't think it's childish to like it because nostalgia is such a big thing and I would definitely be part of a conversation about it if one happens to go on.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I talk about everything I like! I don't really care if people think it childish- I love it and that's what matters. And I share my love with everyone! If they don't end up enjoying it that's fine but it's important to me and if they dismiss that point they will not be happy lmao. Just because the main audience is younger, doesn't mean I can't enjoy things. Besides, Pokémon is all ages, right?

I don't care at all haha. I'll be playing Pokémon in public and wearing Pokémon merch and watching PokéAni forever tbh! As long as I enjoy it, nothing else really matters.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I am sooooo open about it, all my friends knows, all my family knows, even all my Uni's teacher knows!

Amaris

Ghost Fanatic ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2019
    100% open. I don't usually initiate a conversation about it unless I know that the other is into it as well. If it's brought up in any way though, believe that EVERYONE will know how big of a fan I am of Pokemon, haha! ♥

Years
  • I'm often open about my love for Pokemon, and I have a friend who I often talk about it with. I don't seem to feel open as much around my mother since she thinks I'm too old for Pokemon.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • At times I wear my Pokemon shirts in public and when I'm going to pay I take out my Eeveelution wallet, so I will say that I'm open about it, I rarely start conversations about them. If someone asks me I will answer truthfully, had many great conversations and meeting other fans too.

Years
  • I agree with Angelica. Considering how big the 20th anniversary has been, it's nice hearing people actually talking about Pokemon more than ever, and sharing their favorite moments. It's a great time to be open about being a fan of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2016
    Like some of the others have said, I don't just scream it to the world unprovoked, but if someone asks me if I like Pokemon or what my hobbies are, I'll quickly tell them that I adore it. I'm a 21 year old male who works in a warehouse, so it's probably a little off the wallor against the norms for me to like it, but that doesn't bother me

Years
  • Yeah, exactly! I'm a huge Pokemon fan, and if anybody asks what do I like, I don't hesitate to tell them how much I like Pokemon. Pretty much all of my friends have PS4 and Xbox One, but they respect my opinions so it's all right.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • There haven't been many times where I've gotten into conversations out of the blue about Pokemon, but I suppose it's because it isn't obvious I am indeed a fan of Pokemon. I have this Pokemon image attached to the back of my school ID, and the people that have seen it do ask me about it, but I almost always keep my ID under my jacket so it isn't often seen.

That being the case, I'm always ready to tell someone that I like Pokemon, haha. If I only had T-shirts and what-have-you to wear of it, I'd be out in them all the time.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Nope, for a long time I wasn't. For some sick reason it's normal here to get shamed in high school if you like anything that isn't mainstream, be it music or anime. The pressure to not be weird is pretty intense. I never initiated a conversation about Pokémon and the times there was a convo about it, I either didn't join in or made sure I wouldn't betray my love for it. Only a few times I let shine through that I had played the games, but never more than that. None of my high school friends it, not even to this day, and I'm not planning to tell them.

I've only become more open about it once I got into uni and once Pokémon Go became popular. That normalized being a Pokémon fan again. Being able to talk about it openly and proclaim my love for it was so refreshening. During a pubquiz I actually bragged about being a passionate player, something I would've never done in high school.

Not only am I free from judgement at uni, it's also become more normal to like Pokémon. The peer pressure in high school was sickening, honestly.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I've never talked about playing pokemon despite talking about pokemon with others (with the exception of Go). No one knows i play the regular games except my mom and my sister.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I have a reserved personality, but I certainly don't try to hide it. I don't mind wearing Pokémon t-shirts in public or playing with friends around others. I'd even sometimes strap a Poké Ball to my backpack in high school and college. More than 75% of my posts on Facebook are Pokémon-related.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    I'm not afraid to talk about Pokémon to others if they are also a fan of Pokémon. But if someone knows nothing about Pokémon then there's no point in trying to talk to them about it. I'm not afraid or embarrassed to show my love for Pokémon, and if I can I sometimes try and get people to like it. So far I've only converted one person but I hope to work on that XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm not an outspoken fan, but these days I never hide it if anybody asks (: I admit that I play and know way too much about pokemon haha.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I used to, but not so much anymore. Thankfully though now that a new geneartion is around I hope to be be more open.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I don't mind talking about Pokemon and I'm not afraid to talk about it. Right now I work in an elementary school as a janitor and the kids think I'm the most awesome person ever when they saw me with my Jolteon shirt.

Years
  • Actually, yeah I proudly admit it in public if it comes into discussion or I'm with a group of people talking about games. I draw it a lot, it's one of my biggest influences and inspirations - and it's hard to keep quiet about a game series you love!​

Back