• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Staff Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Can I just say that if this has anything to do with the UG, that's obviously not an issue now. I asked for a new partner (and got two!) the minute I realised I was alone with shaky health and h-staff got to it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

This is not the first time this has happened either.

I can't think of an instance where h-staff have stalled on finding a mod for a section when there was an obvious need for one. Even in cases where there is no suitable candidate, h-staff generally step in and mod the section themselves until someone shows up. So I honestly cannot see where your issue is coming from. :/

Years
I can't think of an instance where h-staff have stalled on finding a mod for a section when there was an obvious need for one. Even in cases where there is no suitable candidate, h-staff generally step in and mod the section themselves until someone shows up. So I honestly cannot see where your issue is coming from. :/

I know situations like this, where sections have been modless for a very long time and they had a higher-up step in until the new regular mod was appointed. I recall Third Gen and Fifth Gen had Syd temporarily acting as the mod there a while back when Duzzy quit and before they went through a revolving door of mods (especially Fifth Gen which has now gone modless again), and Klippy was temporarily looking over VG for a moment, and also Live caretaking Round Table for a long time before Nah and Gimme finally came in.

It's not been happening much lately, but I know it's happened in a few places before.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
i mean i am of the opinion that all sections should have at least one regular mod so they can be like, concentrated on but lbr tho sometimes what members consider an obvious need for a mod is not what staff considers so esp. when we got hstaff to keep an eye on stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ staff know whats up

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
hstaff feedback exists for reason -> yes but it's not like hstaff went "lmao wtf are you thinking we dont need mods there thats stupid" they had reasoning for why it was not necessary at the time

mods are stubborn -> yeah and that's why we have an entire staff team to keep each other grounded

Years
hstaff feedback exists for reason -> yes but it's not like hstaff went "lmao wtf are you thinking we dont need mods there thats stupid" they had reasoning for why it was not necessary at the time

mods are stubborn -> yeah and that's why we have an entire staff team to keep each other grounded

I actually think the staff are not as stubborn these days, but that might just be me. Usually they also tend to go to at least have a regular mod assigned to every section, though there may be some situations where they take a bit longer than they would.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Can we remember that while assigned mods usually are a wonderful mix of passion for their forum, authority to direct and decide things, and access to tools for nurturing and evolving it, any member who is interested in a section's wellbeing can help it out. Create threads, steer existing threads in good directions, report bad things, suggest changes to the residing mod (or hstaff if there is no mod), plan and host events... We call ourselves a community, and a while a community might need leaders in order to be stable, each and every member can contribute too. Mods are neither strictly janitors nor strictly police, or so we've been told. But I also hope we're not supposed to be the only ones allowed to care deeply for our assigned sections.

If anybody disagrees, I'd actually love to hear it o: especially from a Roleplay Theatre view d:

Years
You have a good point, because me and Eros have got plans to get activity going in Fifth Generation, which is as of present the only section that has no official mod after going through a huge revolving door of mods, so it'll mainly have to be up to us and others to get activity going. Part of it is us taking over the Character Spotlight and Pokemon of the Week, along with bringing the Weekly Polls back (because I always enjoyed them) and maybe planning more secret stuff.

I know the effort that will need to come into play given how dead the section has been, and that's why it's got to be a team effort. The fact that even the non-staff organize events shows just how much we focus on the community aspect.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I have been observing the staff for three months. And my impressions have not been favorable.

From what I have seen, a lot of the staff members seem extremely defensive about negative feedback. I have seen a lot of kneejerk reactions to perfectly legitimate criticism. Honestly, those who run these forums give me the impression that they cannot handle feedback at all. I have seen snipes and snark, and the April Fool's Joke only exacerbated this. In fact, that is what inspired me to make this post in the first place. Because I really have had enough of seeing this behavior go on. The atmosphere that some staff members present is not very welcoming and feels rather oppressive. It feels like they all know each other and are in this clique, and anyone who isn't in it is just some outsider who doesn't know what they're talking about. In fact, I'm half-expecting this post to either be deleted or responded to in a rather hostile manner. And if not out-right hostile, then a passive aggressive one full of snipes.

I would honestly, with no offense intended whatsoever, recommend that these staff members learn to think before they act. These reactions seem to happen within minutes of a post. The beautiful thing about a forum is that you can take the time to construct your responses.

Speaking of that though…

Sometimes, you really do need to act RIGHT now. Because a lot of forum drama is happening all at once. This staff does not seem to have a proper gauge of when an inappropriate situation is going on too long. I've seen this occur in certain debate threads and even a few feedback threads where things get out of control when they could've been dealt with much sooner. You can say that perhaps the staff haven't seen these situations yet, but considering some of them actually post and contribute to these situations, I don't think that's the case. They post more snark and unnecessary remarks that contribute nothing. Things don't get dealt with until they reach the maximum amount of drama and then it becomes ridiculously obvious that this shouldn't have to continue. Then somebody finally deals with it. But even the way the staff members lock threads here can be abrasive and off-putting. They seem to scold at people in that same snarky way I keep describing.

If something is starting to be a problem, then deal with it before it escalates. Do not contribute to the drama. You'll save everyone a lot of headaches if you deal with things appropriately. The drama can die down faster, and we all benefit from a more pleasant forum experience. Dealing with these situations is not easy, and it's not for everyone. You need someone who can keep a cool head in a quick situation.

Now, I'm going to be blunt here. This conduct is disrespectful and immature towards the members of these forums during these times. I'm sorry it sounds so harsh, but it's the most direct way of putting things. Maybe I expect too much from the internet, maybe I'm just tired of anonymity giving people the excuse to act so inappropriately, but I expect those who moderate this site to act more maturely and civilly than those they moderate. Anybody who cannot restrain themselves is not fit to be put in this position. I expect more from people my age and people who are even older than me, presuming that that's what the staff is. But it just feels like this high school clique of popular girls who scoff at people.

I'm not saying you have to be robots or perfect. Please don't take what I'm saying to extremes like people usually do. I'm saying that the attitude of some staff members could use an adjustment. Also, I'm not saying that everyone on staff is like this. Only the ones I've encountered. I've seen a scant few kind and reasonable staff members as well, and this is not directed at them. This is directed at those who do not think before they react, a sadly all-too-common reaction on the internet.

If there were any passive aggressive jabs or excessive anger in my post, I apologize for that. I just cannot take it anymore. It is really stressing me out to see people behave this way, and it is making me feel like I am not welcome here. Whether or not it's directed at me, I hate seeing this type of negativity. But if this continues, I don't think I can take a part in PokeCommunity anymore. It's not a threat, because as I said before, I don't expect you to really be affected by a newer member like myself. This just isn't something I can tolerate, regardless of whether you believe me or not.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Could you perhaps list specific examples of times you've felt staff members have handled something poorly, and/or name which specific staff members you're talking about (you must have at least a few in mind).

.....I know most people aren't very fond about people (publicly) naming specific persons in regards to negative feedback, but I feel that that is better than basically beating around the bush indefinitely. The problem people are more likely to consider the criticism and try to fix things if they know it's them. And if we let people name specific person in this thread for positive feedback, might as well let them do so for negative feedback as well. At the very least I'd personally prefer it if people explicitly stated if I was a problem.

Just wanna comment on this bit real quick as well:
From what I have seen, a lot of the staff members seem extremely defensive about negative feedback.
It's kind of natural for people to get defensive when they're being criticized, staff or no. It's not always even being defensive so much as it is them simply just offering their side/viewpoint on the matter.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you're referring to me in dealing with the AFD backlash, I'm not actually being serious in that feedback thread. :/ Like I'm not really gonna go cry about it, you're not all "damn millennials" etc. But I will say, it is disappointing to have people hate my idea (going retro was my suggestion so I'll take responsibility for it, everyone aim your eggs at me). Not only that, but Audy took the time to pull up all that old coding and get other things situated, so it's a bummer for him that his work get a bunch of flack. But I was just trying to have fun with it, is all. Shrug. I'm sorry if you felt I was out of hand. Things have been fixed at this point though, so I don't know what else to say on that.

Like Nah said though, since you've been observing so long, if you have specific posts that you want to talk about, you're always free to come in this thread to point it our or report it to a higher staff member so that things can be looked at and corrected.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I'd like to preface this post by saying that most of my time is spent in the ROM hacking section. I think SphericalIce and Christos are doing a great job in keeping it well moderated. So I'm thankful for their work there, and the things they end up putting up with. I also like some of the friendly staff members like Achromatic, Sopheria, Castform, and Mana uhhh those are the only ones I've had the pleasure of interacting with. I've yet to have any issues with staff decisions or conduct or anything for that matter. You guys have done a good job in general, at least around the sections which I visit.

I'd like to consider what I'm about to talk about next as an isolated event.

I'm agreeing with the whole April fools shenanigans. I really didn't enjoy the prank this year, that just me, I'm entitled to my opinions. Initially, I just wanted a way to disable it. After 5 mins of chuckling at the lazily drawn logo and simplistic forum display, I wanted to go back to my regular browsing activities. When I couldn't figure out how to do certain things, it became somewhat annoying and I made a thread inquiring about disabling it. You'd expect that sort of thread to have an informative reply like, "Sorry you can't disable it at this time, please check back in a few hours for a potential solution". I'd have said my thanks and been on my way. Or at least some form of discussion I see in other threads in that section.

Long behold, within the first 20 minutes we had two groups of people. One group, whom like me, was not happy about the April fools prank and a second group (mostly consisting of staff) which were telling us that we were no fun, and that it was just a joke, relax, go outside, ect, ect. People were even putting up meme signs like, "No fun zone" and essentially making sport of people who were frustrated. Both groups weren't being respectful to each other and there was a lot of spam/shit posts in that thread (from staff & others - myself included...). I feel like people just got a free pass to just post whatever they wanted to honestly, discipline was at an all time zero.

I feel like the goal of this prank was to bring back a nostalgic view of the forums for some with it's retro view. I get that, I appreciate a little bit of that. Just not for 24 hours please. Maybe like 10 minutes after you log in or something.

Well, seeing as it was requested we pull up some sources instead of beating around the bush, I think I'll do that.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9186297&postcount=73
How does that make any criticism less valid? Do you want everyone to be regulars inorder to offer criticism? I don't understand the point of this post and why it's got so many likes.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9186238&postcount=64
I'm still trying to piece together this user's rebuttal to my post. It seems like it can be summarized to, "Not a majority of the population has posted yet" - Sure because a majority of the visitors are guests and they're busy checking out the hacks showcase. I also dislike the first sentence this user said. We're salty because we want back forum functionality? Because we don't want to deal with it for the next 24 hours?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9186180&postcount=50
This post is trying to contribute other than intentionally irritate people.

There's a lot more "throwing fuel into the fire" posts around there. I'm not saying the staff were the only ones doing it, but rolling in the mud with the rest doesn't really seem like a good idea. I'm not saying these people mentioned need to be disciplined or something, as it was a group mentality going on in that thread. These posts were just really ignorant. I'm not the perfect user, sometimes I post things which I regret later on. I can empathize with those "In the moment" posts, but sometimes I just wish some of these posts are just not made to be honest.
--

TL;DR please handle the feedback forum more professionally. I don't mind loosening up and not being strict around the clock, but not at the expense of some of your userbase's feelings/opinions. Also, I'd rather not be labeled salty, unfun, unappreciative when I offer a different perspective. Hopefully this will be an isolated event. To those who posted pictures of doors/memes/random comments, stay classy.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
When I couldn't figure out how to do certain things, it became somewhat annoying and I made a thread inquiring about disabling it. You'd expect that sort of thread to have an informative reply like, "Sorry you can't disable it at this time, please check back in a few hours for a potential solution". I'd have said my thanks and been on my way. Or at least some form of discussion I see in other threads in that section.
Post number 8 in the thread, also a mere 8 minutes after you posted the thread http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9186048&postcount=8
There'll probably be a workaround... sometime.
I couldn't say in a few hours or whatnot because a) I didn't know when it could happen realistically, or if at all, b) I couldn't ask the one person who would be able to do this. But there was an answer there shortly after the thread.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9186238&postcount=64
I'm still trying to piece together this user's rebuttal to my post. It seems like it can be summarized to, "Not a majority of the population has posted yet" - Sure because a majority of the visitors are guests and they're busy checking out the hacks showcase. I also dislike the first sentence this user said. We're salty because we want back forum functionality? Because we don't want to deal with it for the next 24 hours?
Seeing this was my post, I'm somewhat confused as to why this is that problematic. You stated that you felt a majority disliked it, and I disagreed by reasoning that there were still a lot of members who hadn't complained (even if you consider those who were only online by then and logged in!), and that I've seen positive comments about it from other people as well around the place. Is that a bad thing for myself to have said...? I merely decided to give my opinion on your statement. You don't have to agree with it of course (like how I didn't agree with yours =p), but I don't see how there is anything wrong in my doing that.

The salt comment was in reference to some posts in that thread that were frankly over the top, and I don't say I disagree with my thoughts that there was a lot of salt. I don't recall any other April Fools joke here that got people to say they are contemplating suicide, and if you have people saying that... I feel people are exaggerating things way too far. To bring up suicide because the forum has gone to an old-school theme on April Fools - seriously? Other posts exclaiming how "anyone could think it's a good idea" (uh... all staff pretty much agreed on it, so that would be disheartening to some people) were somewhat "salty" too, especially after other members had posted in the same thread that they liked it.

To clarify, the salt comment wasn't directed at you if that's where you're taking offence, which I thought it clear by it coming before any quote. I said people are salty not because they want forum features back, but more because of the way some people expressed their dislike for the event.

This was also on top of other posts I made that explained other things more 'professionally', and given it's an april fools joke I disagree that staff should always be professional and refrain from joking on such a day. We're human too after all (and our work on this site is purely voluntary as well), and the whole intention of our april fool events is to have a joke and laugh. I'm sorry if it didn't work out for some members; this happens every year though and I'd still much rather continue with april fool jokes and that relaxed vibe for the members who do enjoy it, which I don't feel is a minority. Hence some of us trying to play along and get others to see the lighter side. I trust that this happens far less outside of April Fools events.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Post number 8 in the thread, also a mere 8 minutes after you posted the thread http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9186048&postcount=8
I couldn't say in a few hours or whatnot because a) I didn't know when it could happen realistically, or if at all, b) I couldn't ask the one person who would be able to do this. But there was an answer there shortly after the thread.

That's not exactly a reliable answer. This is equivalent to someone saying, "I don't know". You've essentially added nothing insightful here? I realize that you really didn't know, but if you're trying to say my thread is solved by that post, then I'm inclined to disagree.

Seeing this was my post, I'm somewhat confused as to why this is that problematic. You stated that you felt a majority disliked it, and I disagreed by reasoning that there were still a lot of members who hadn't complained (even if you consider those who were only online by then and logged in!), and that I've seen positive comments about it from other people as well around the place. Is that a bad thing for myself to have said...? I merely decided to give my opinion on your statement. You don't have to agree with it of course (like how I didn't agree with yours =p), but I don't see how there is anything wrong in my doing that.
Your post was probably a little less annoying to me than the other posts. But you pretty much nitpicked one sentence in the entire post, and used that to rebuttle the whole post. If you reread the post, I'm stating that it should be encouraged to be given feedback on the topic. You say my post is disagreeable since most of the user base hasn't inputted their opinions. While I can see that most people haven't, from the people who did post, I think there are more unique posters agreeing with me than disagreeing. While we can't have the entire population in the sample space, you can't really feasibly expect to. If you wish to continue this discussion on this topic, I'm available via VMs. I don't think we should be debating about this stuff here however, as it has nothing to do with the thread anymore.

The salt comment was in reference to some posts in that thread that were frankly over the top, and I don't say I disagree with my thoughts that there was a lot of salt. I don't recall any other April Fools joke here that got people to say they are contemplating suicide, and if you have people saying that... I feel people are exaggerating things way too far. To bring up suicide because the forum has gone to an old-school theme on April Fools - seriously? Other posts exclaiming how "anyone could think it's a good idea" (uh... all staff pretty much agreed on it, so that would be disheartening to some people) were somewhat "salty" too, especially after other members had posted in the same thread that they liked it.

To clarify, the salt comment wasn't directed at you if that's where you're taking offence, which I thought it clear by it coming before any quote. I said people are salty not because they want forum features back, but more because of the way some people expressed their dislike for the event.
OK, it seemed directed at me. Your comment seemed to generalized to me. I understand the staff thought it'd be cool. It is a cool idea, but not as something that would last the entire day. Is anyone still using the AFD skin now that other skins are available? I don't think so. Again, we're sort of derailing here. To me, your post gave off the, "these guys don't like it, it's just a joke they need to relax and stop being salty" impression. Hence why I put it on the small list I compiled.

This was also on top of other posts I made that explained other things more 'professionally', and given it's an april fools joke I disagree that staff should always be professional and refrain from joking on such a day. We're human too after all (and our work on this site is purely voluntary as well), and the whole intention of our april fool events is to have a joke and laugh. I'm sorry if it didn't work out for some members; this happens every year though and I'd still much rather continue with april fool jokes and that relaxed vibe for the members who do enjoy it, which I don't feel is a minority. Hence some of us trying to play along and get others to see the lighter side. I trust that this happens far less outside of April Fools events.

Do you have any stats to back this up, "that relaxed vibe for the members who do enjoy it, which I don't feel is a minority" ? I really am doubting that it's a majority who liked to have had the skin default enabled for 24 hours. Again going off topic here, we could continue this somewhere more appropriate if you'd wish.

I didn't say that we shouldn't have april fools jokes, nor that staff should always retain professional responses. But on a feedback forum in which someone is trying to express a legitimate concern? I'd like to be taken seriously, and my thread to be taken seriously. There's a time and place. If it was in the tree house, go nuts. But I felt like my opinions were dismissed in that thread, not until many others complained did it become apparent that the skin should be disabled.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That's not exactly a reliable answer. This is equivalent to someone saying, "I don't know". You've essentially added nothing insightful here? I realize that you really didn't know, but if you're trying to say my thread is solved by that post, then I'm inclined to disagree.
It was still an honest and serious answer. It states that they'll likely be some way around it, but I couldn't say when. I don't feel saying "There'll probably be a workaround..." is me saying I don't know - I was fairly confident there would be, but couldn't offer any more details than that and so didn't make up anything on top of that. If that wasn't enough detail, then I'm afraid there's nothing I could have done about it. From my intentions it was an honest and serious answer to that request.
Your post was probably a little less annoying to me than the other posts. But you pretty much nitpicked one sentence in the entire post, and used that to rebuttle the whole post.
I disagree I did that, as I bolded the part I was talking about to indicate that what I said was in relation to that. Apologies if it wasn't as clear as I thought it had been/as clear as I intended it to be that I was only rebutting that part. Following paragraphs I made were a tangent as well.
If you reread the post, I'm stating that it should be encouraged to be given feedback on the topic. You say my post is disagreeable since most of the user base hasn't inputted their opinions.
I was saying I disagreed that it is a majority of people that hated it, and cited that a lot of people haven't made complaints. Maybe I should have pointed out specific examples of people liking it, but there were some within the same thread already.
I didn't say that we shouldn't have april fools jokes, nor that staff should always retain professional responses. But on a feedback forum in which someone is trying to express a legitimate concern? I'd like to be taken seriously, and my thread to be taken seriously. There's a time and place. If it was in the tree house, go nuts. But I felt like my opinions were dismissed in that thread, not until many others complained did it become apparent that the skin should be disabled.
Agree to disagree I suppose. Any other day, sure, seriousness ought to be the general trend for this section, and I feel this is usually the case. For a thread about the april fool joke on april fools however, I feel that even staff ought to be afforded a bit of joking (especially for what is a Pokemon forum we spend free time on for no rewards sans our enjoyment from it; or see flight's post). Some people were asking for the AF joke to be put back in (so no, there's no "should" in it being disabled or not tbqh), and others joked as well (not just staff members! and not just today's AF event as well!), so I guess this is something that not everyone will agree on. =/

Other points I will take to VM on request - the above seems relevant enough to complaints about the AF event/thread.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I think the ultimate solution for these kind of forum wide "event changes" such as the Cowrie coding a month ago or the April Fool's coding is to always incude the revert back option to whatever normal skin/style you've been using. It's a shame that we need to reach that point of inclusion, but I think that would solve a lot of the consistent negative feedback that seems to be centered around these kind of events.

It would appease the people who are still interested in these events and appease the people who don't want to be involved in these events.

In terms of staff personal getting defensive, I think that's a given. Hell, when I used to be on staff I would get defensive about people questioning my decision making. That's just normal human nature in my opinion. However, just like what I would do and for the most part what the rest of staff does, we would heavily take into consideration what people are offering and come up with either a compromise or decision. It might not always go into one's favor - on both sides of the coin - but staff do take feedback seriously.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I see most people are directing the discussion to the April fools joke. That wasn't really the point of my post. I was just attempting voicing my displeasure about how the thread was handled in general. I'm not particularly looking to debate with people about whether they liked the joke or not - that'd be subjective and very opinionated. Of course if that's what you want to talk about, then perhaps we should talk in VMs. But I really don't understand why you think you can convince someone that their opinions are wrong because your opinion is that the joke was good.

I will address this part in Archy's post, however because it is related:

It's actually a really solid point, if you ask me. Specially when you read at the response below that post. I mean, if you don't care, you just don't ****ing care. If we're going to care when we just don't like something, it's kinda mean, if you ask me. It got so many likes because it's a true situation, when you ask for feedback, is really hard to get any. But when this happens, ****storm incoming. What can you expect? at least, myself. I want to expect that people understands situations. If you want to give feedback, try to give positive or negative feedback, not start ****storms when you don't like something, only thing that you get with them is arguments, as you can see. It doesn't fix anything at all.

I rarely use the feedback forum. I have no issues with most of the things going on around here, and I'd be more interested in using my time to browse forums I actually care about while voicing concerns to the moderators of specific sections. I approach SphericalIce and Christos a lot for giving feedback and suggestions about various things. I just don't see the point in making a feedback post for these kinds of things, unless it was something forum wide.

I think he/she was just not happy with how the joke was being taken, and posted that out of frustration. You need to take the negative feedback with a stride, you can't expect everyone to sugarcoat it for you with a mixture of positive and negative feedback. I want to make it clear that I dislike it, I don't want to add in anything positive that would otherwise distract from how I feel about the subject. I'd risk potentially making it seem like it wasn't THAT bad, while for me it was unlikable. If you want feedback equally when you're looking for feedback make it more accessible and obvious that you're looking for feedback. Frankly I didn't even know this section existed until I saw hashtag posting there. But this is an entirely different can of worms. Since we're talking about staff feedback in general, I still believe this post was made out of pure frustration. Later the same user called us all "grumpies". OK, sorry for being a grumpy. Don't be upset when not everyone likes your joke; no one likes my jokes half the time either. But posting out of frustration and trying to generalize us all as the hate squad that only posts when something goes wrong is pretty poor. I realize they worked on this for a long time...but how could we have convinced anyone to make a toggle off option without hurting feelings? I feel like if we were too soft it'd be taken as some minor inconvenience, so I'm glad those who did dislike it were clear about it.

Years
Could you perhaps list specific examples of times you've felt staff members have handled something poorly, and/or name which specific staff members you're talking about.

Like Nah said though, since you've been observing so long, if you have specific posts that you want to talk about, you're always free to come in this thread to point it our or report it to a higher staff member so that things can be looked at and corrected.

I'll provide you with a few examples, and a quick description of why these reactions are immature and unprofessional.

First off, there was some moderator misconduct in the homosexuality thread a while back. I even reported the mods, but heard not a word regarding it.

Example 1 - Here, Livewire is just flat out being a jerk. Not only that, but he is publicly threatening a member with infractions. Whether the person was a troll or not, you should only give people warnings in private, unless it's a general warning meant for everyone. He does the same thing again shortly after. Acting like Livewire did is the exact opposite of how a mod should be.

Example 2 - While it's not as rude as Livewire, this post is still demeaning to other members. It was basically stating, in a roundabout way, that those fighting fire with fire were stupid. Not only that, but this post has literally nothing to do with the topic. Off topic posts should be removed, and that's just a fact that I'm sure we can all agree on. If you want to educate members on proper etiquette, do it in a PM, or elsewhere that isn't in a thread unrelated to member education.

Example 3 - Speaking of off topic posts, another one that I reported for that reason was ignored. Not only that, but it's just unnecessary snarkiness just because he's not able to to handle negative feedback. This is the only post I will show an example of in the April fool's day thread. The entire thread itself is an example of the staff not responding appropriately to negative feedback.

Example 4 - This isn't a mod's post, but it explains what happened pretty well. Klippy had deleted this guys post, which was exactly the same as the admin above him, saying it was unnecessary. To be honest, I think a more appropriate response would have been to delete Ausaudriel's post, since both of them really were unnecessary. That is what the like button is for, after all.

Example 5 - The point of this thread is just to have fun showing how you would arrange the forum. It's not really a good idea to be so abrasive just because you don't agree with someone else's ideas. You should think before you type, or, as Arylett posted in response to Universe, you might come across as being rude.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Basically, Lunaris went and found the examples for me. So... uh. What he said. Anyway though...

I feel like everyone is concentrating a bit too much on the April Fool's thread. Whilst it was the trigger for this post and is a fine example of what I'm talking about, it isn't all about this. If it was, I wouldn't be posting in the staff feedback. I will clarify for those who are misinterpreting my intent.

I feel this is a rather radical and, quite fairly unfair way of putting things. In a way, I'm rather confused by this particular statement. You say you expect moderators to be mature and have a sense of professionalism (which they do in my eyes, but that's just me), and also expect more from mods that are around your age group. This, to me, implies that you believe the staff to act as they would in a real life job but....I think you're forgetting a crucial fact: This is a Pokemon forum, this isn't working in your average office. The staff are allowed to have fun, they are allowed to act silly, they are allowed to act child-like, because that's what this forum is for. You can have a degree of professionalism and humor while incorporating all of these elements, which is something that I'd argue a large majority of staff members already do. But this is a difference of opinion.
Just because I am a serious person, doesn't mean I hold everyone to that exact standard. It's difficult to communicate my tone in text, I understand that. But I don't mean that they need to act like it's a real life job. That's not it at all. I saw a place where that happened and it was just silly. But in the examples found by Lunaris, the behavior I have seen is honestly uncivil and inexcusable. These are things that should be done behind closed doors, things that cause more drama and more unpleasantness when aired out. Yes, at the end of the day, I am aware that this is just a Pokemon forum, but as you said, the people here work hard. Are you going to disregard their hard work by saying that it's "just a Pokemon forum?" That's contradictory. You say we should appreciate them, but why should we when it's "just a Pokemon forum?" Why should I have any expectations at all?

It's about having tact. It isn't about being serious or being silly. I'm not bolding that to be passive aggressive or snarky. I'm bolding it to emphasize it. Please take in this part, because it is the main crux of my point. Maturity doesn't mean you sit down and you decide not to have fun for the rest of your life. Silliness is not childish. What is childish is expressing your anger without thinking about the words you are saying or how others are going to react to it. I feel sorry I mentioned the April Fool's joke because people are fixating on that. I don't care if you're silly, all I care about is the way you moderate and address people. And the examples that Lunaris should be enough to prove that those aren't appropriate responses. They aren't motivated by humor - but by anger. They are jabs, slights at members. It's about controlling your emotions. Not because this is a job, but because it's a community. and a community should be as pleasant an atmosphere as possible. Sure, people will make mistakes, they will say the wrong things and get angry sometimes. But I don't expect to see this so frequently from moderators. There may only be five examples listed, but that and an entire thread's worth of inappropriate responses... I think that is enough to signify that there is an issue here. It can only get worse. And there might even be examples that Lunaris and I missed. If there are, I invite anyone to come forward and provide them.

I can understand why people become defensive and angry. It's not as if I don't have feelings. The post I made in here was motivated by them. But the difference is that when I am expressing my anger, I try not to attack anyone, I try not to make anyone feel bad. It's okay to express it, but you have to word it carefully. You have to think before you post, and that's what I'm getting at. If you're a moderator, then this especially applies to you, since your job is essentially to defuse drama, not cause it. There's also the fact that we're communicating via text, and this makes it much easier to misinterpret things, meaning you have to be even MORE careful. Something that you might not have been so angry about might come off as rude anyway.

If you can't see those examples as inappropriate, then we'll simply never be capable of understanding each other. In which case, you can disregard my feedback and continue with your ways. And I will go my own way. I am pleased though that at the very least, I was able to get a civil response.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll provide you with a few examples, and a quick description of why these reactions are immature and unprofessional.

First off, there was some moderator misconduct in the homosexuality thread a while back. I even reported the mods, but heard not a word regarding it.
We usually don't respond back to people who make reports telling them so-and-so happened or was dealt with. Any warnings or infractions usually stays between the people concerned, and unless the reporter was involved and it's necessary to inform them, we won't. That's just how we've generally opted to do things in that regard, and while there are pros and cons to either way, I don't feel there is a strong reason or need to change this.

Example 1 - Here, Livewire is just flat out being a jerk. Not only that, but he is publicly threatening a member with infractions. Whether the person was a troll or not, you should only give people warnings in private, unless it's a general warning meant for everyone. He does the same thing again shortly after. Acting like Livewire did is the exact opposite of how a mod should be.
Like flight, I am going to have to disagree with that being the opposite of how a mod should be. Thing is, there is no one way a mod should act, and I feel this case is one that applies here.

In this case, the member was a troll (and shortly after that event was banned as such). He had multiple private communications between different staff members and did not improve. Sometimes a public post needs to be made. If Livewire did this to someone else who had no prior multiple infringements, or did it all the time, etc then I'd agree that it's too much, but sometimes you have to put the foot down, so to speak, and when private communication fails there's not much harm in trying a different approach in the rare case [speaking from experience] someone consistently acting like a troll isn't one. (This turned out to be one of the usual cases). [That was also why I said 'usually' in the above quote-response; there isn't one way to always act, just a usual way for standard cases.]
Example 2 - While it's not as rude as Livewire, this post is still demeaning to other members. It was basically stating, in a roundabout way, that those fighting fire with fire were stupid. Not only that, but this post has literally nothing to do with the topic. Off topic posts should be removed, and that's just a fact that I'm sure we can all agree on. If you want to educate members on proper etiquette, do it in a PM, or elsewhere that isn't in a thread unrelated to member education.
Really got to disagree here. Back when I was a regular mod I was in charge of HGSS, and that got hectic pre-release (speculation and false leaks leading to arguments, etc). Many times I had to post in the thread and ask multiple members to please calm down. This was
a) far more time efficient then asking each one privately to calm down or whatnot, which is key because sometimes I didn't have time to do the second option and hence would have to let the argument continue until I next got online (not ideal!),
b) effective in stopping the argument (again going by experience here), and
c) required also to let everyone else - that is, those that haven't posted yet - know to stop the argument.

Again, speaking from experience here, and I have experienced cases were talking to someone privately leads to other people breaking the rules soon after. Over time one just gets a feeling on when doing that will help more than hinder in the long run. This isn't something that should always be done, mind; but it most certainly has a time and place, and its uses. Again, there's more than one way to mod or enforce the rules, and what Nah did is from my viewpoint and certainly something done PC-wide for years (and other forums) not new, and furthermore acceptable.

If you want to split hairs then yes, it is 'off topic', but frankly moderators should make such posts when required. I suppose you and I have different ideas on how to mod, but frankly I rarely see the opinion that a mod making public announcements like that is being off-topic when it is part of their role as moderator to do things like that. (This isn't a new thing, nor something restricted to PC mods either on that note!). [Furthermore, some off-topicness can be allowed from time to time in posts even outside such cases like above, but that's another matter].

Re: "basically stating, in a roundabout way, that those fighting fire with fire were stupid" - the way I read it, it is purely about the concept being stupid, not any person. I don't have any personal qualm with what Nah said there.
Example 3 - Speaking of off topic posts, another one that I reported for that reason was ignored. Not only that, but it's just unnecessary snarkiness just because he's not able to to handle negative feedback. This is the only post I will show an example of in the April fool's day thread. The entire thread itself is an example of the staff not responding appropriately to negative feedback.
I think some context - that he spent time between his busy work schedule - to recode the forums for the joke, only for people to express things like contemplating suicide and the idea being the worst, etc (no exaggeration on my part there!) - should be noted and afforded. I agree, it's not a good response. In future we'll try to avoid that. But I feel it's a very understandable one given the whole event (only human, only a volunteer thing for a pokemon forum into which a lot of effort went into, etc). Audy most certainly is able to handle negative feedback, of that I assure you as well - one instance doesn't discount that.
Example 4 - This isn't a mod's post, but it explains what happened pretty well. Klippy had deleted this guys post, which was exactly the same as the admin above him, saying it was unnecessary. To be honest, I think a more appropriate response would have been to delete Ausaudriel's post, since both of them really were unnecessary. That is what the like button is for, after all.
I'll leave this for someone else to comment on in case it did go to private communication afterwards - don't want to explain something I don't know the full story for. Granted, this is the one example I feel of yours that has the most weight, but the others I disagree with being problematic.
Example 5 - The point of this thread is just to have fun showing how you would arrange the forum. It's not really a good idea to be so abrasive just because you don't agree with someone else's ideas. You should think before you type, or, as Arylett posted in response to Universe, you might come across as being rude.
I don't feel that this is 'so abrasive' - if any member did that I may roll my eyes at the number of no's used, sure, but I wouldn't delete such a post, let alone warn or infract for it. Maybe a matter of interpretation. Again, I can understand Universe's opinion - when someone suggests your forum's purposes changes to be 'wacky joke forum where people post gifs and about dinosaur butts'... well, I think that does warrant a few 'no's. And then what flight said:
And Larry/Universe later clarified their reasoning and apologized for any miscommunication, which I'm honestly surprised you fixated on this post in particular and not the fact that Universe's intention was never to be demeaning or insulting. Mods can have strong opinions towards a particular subject, too.
So sounds to me like a different interpretation of that post was made and was later cleared up. Those things happen, so I don't really see an issue to be made of this case.

----------

General comment - if you do have a complaint, it does help to bring it up when it happens, btw. It was a bit tricky to go back in time myself for some cases I didn't even know about (PC is a big forum!). I realise examples are being provided now as the AF thing seems to have been some sort of 'trigger' to give staff feedback (and made on request of us!) but it's easier to address things when they happen rather than later. And now I'm going to try and enjoy some of my weekend for a while rather than keep explaining each decision others made so long ago, at the risk of being somewhat blunt. =p

Reactions: Nah

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
hello,

i haven't paid attention to these forums until recently and thusly don't really remember or care how your moderation culture is, but i would like to say that holy nutters some of you dudes are way too sensitive about what you're expecting from a bunch of regular people that probably spend too much of their time upholding rules on a pokemon forum. i could see myself making every one of the posts or decisions that have recently been brought up as a complaint (save maybe some of the snarky ones, since i'm not really that way myself) and i cannot fathom a genuine moderation problem with just about all of them. mods and admins should stay within the rules and not flex on plain ol members with their position, but they aren't and shouldn't be expected to be flawless upstanding policemen who tirelessly solve every little problem a citizen has with perfectly unobtrusive word choice + making sure nobody is insulted by everything they say ever.

maybe it's because i hail from an administrative position on smogon where i can freely drop a "fuck this dude" and nobody will get set off by it, but a complaint about a post that just says "no" a bunch of times is absolutely mind-blowing to me. i mean, geez, it's not like we all haven't been rude (intentionally or unintentionally) at some point in our lives. it happens. it's OK to be disgruntled at some responses you receive in your complaint thread, but i think it's also OK for staff members to be disgruntled at an overwhelmingly sour response for something they spent a buttload of time on. were it a perfect world, we'd just say "hey dude i don't really like this can you guys change it back? thanks fam" then they go "ah i got your back dude, don't fret" then we all hold hands and sing kumbaya until i can check my VMs again.

regarding AFD itself, i think it would have gone over swell if the ability to opt-out were enabled from the get-go (and i can't blame you guys for not thinking of it / wanting to do it, nobody's psychic). i was not a fan myself and probably would've just stayed away for the day, but everything blowing up looked mostly like a bunch of miscommunication + frustration about not having the accessibility that we've become accustomed to. i hope that the staff who led the charge on this particular AFD prank aren't too miffed over the complaints or the road they seem to have gone down, and i hope that the people who have complained can get over the issue since it pretty much doesn't exist haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back