• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disorders

Years
  • Depression and anxiety, but I've been on medication for them for a long time now so it isn't too bad these days.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • I've been trying to fight it without meds...
    Do they really help?
    Or not much?

In my case, the meds are likely to only reason I'm still functional; I was headed for hospitalization the way things were going before. My symptoms escalated super quickly though, I latched onto something I couldn't just "check" away, and the more I couldn't "check" it, the more it was driving me crazy. Not being able to satisfy the compulsion also triggered panic attacks, making it even worse.

So, for me, the meds helped a lot. I did go to therapy, and working with a counselor that I trusted also made had a positive impact. I'm currently waiting to see someone that specializes in OCD/anxious disorders, so I'm hoping that will be beneficial as well. I think I'll be on meds for the long haul, but being able to bring my dose down would be nice.

I can't really give advice on meds, but if you're really struggling, I'd recommend talking to your doctor or a counselor.

It's surprising how many people see OCD as just an organizational disorder. I don't even bother trying to explain it to people because most already have that perception and I end up feeling worse.

In my own situation, my habits were only noticed by my school, and that wasn't until 7th grade.

IKR? It kinda reminds me of what people sometimes say when I tell them I have anxiety; "oh, everyone gets that sometimes". Yeah, that's true, but having the disorder is quite different from that...

Late diagnoses are hard...

Years
    • Online now
    Ouch
    Late diagnoses suck.

Unfortunately, that has caused long term effects. It was so controlling early on, I missed out on alot of normal interaction. While I feel that's overcome now, I still have trouble keeping friends.

And to think I've only suffered mildly. There's people who have OCD to a much more severe extent, and I can't even imagine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    On a serious note though, after a number of urgent trips to the hospital and countless unnecessary doctor visits, it's established that I have anxiety of the panic attack kind. I don't think I'm actually a hypochondriac, rather my anxiety just tends to express itself physically instead of worrying me mentally a lot of the time. When I feel mentally worried as well, well then you can be sure I'm having a really bad time (:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I used to have depression. I've had my fair share of panic attacks too, which are awful. I went to therapy for this and it really helped. I haven't had a panic attack in a very long time, nor do I have any of the thoughts or feelings associated with depression. It was controlling because I never wanted to leave my home or hang out with friends, which probably made my problems worse.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I have Manic-Depressive Bi-Polar. I'm on a couple of medications that work wonders for it, but I still can have ups and downs. I probably have other issues too, but it's mostly the Bi-Polar, I think. :P

User19sq

I'm pretty sure I have some kind of ADD. It'd explain so much.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • hey this is the thread for me.

i have. a lot of issues both mental and physical that impact me everyday, but i think i'll just talk about mental stuff for now. some of my disorders include autism, sensory processing disorder, bipolar disorder, anxiety, ocd, dyspraxia, schizoaffective disorder, ptsd and an eating disorder. fun!!

also, there's a lot of posts about this, but as someone with ocd too im SO tired of people thinking its only akin to being neat and tidy. while that is common, it's not the only thing that defines ocd. you have an obsessive tendency to do something, or follow certain repetitive rituals throughout your day, along with other things. ironically, i have a problem obsessively HOARDING things, not tidying things. my room is piled high with things from when i was a kid that i'm too attached to to let go of. my autism also has something to do with that, but i digress.

Last edited:

FlakyGuy

A super flaky person~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    On paper I have Autism (Aspergers)
    Personally I believe I also have social anxiety but that's not official yet.
    I've learned to live with it although I still notice that family and friends aren't quite used to it yet.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i have been officially diagnosed with depression (severe, though i think it's grown more moderate lately as i have got better coping methods), and both social anxiety/general anxiety. i also have a very mild case of scoliosis, but it used to be more noticeable when i was younger.

my mom and i and other family members also suspect i have autism, but since my dad and i myself (due to being uneducated and my dad being, well..my dad) were in denial for a while, i have not been diagnosed and probably will not be diagnosed anytime soon due to certain circumstances. i do hope that i can get diagnosed though, if i do end up having it.

other than that though, i can't think of anything else.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • It's surprising how many people see OCD as just an organizational disorder. I don't even bother trying to explain it to people because most already have that perception and I end up feeling worse.

In my own situation, my habits were only noticed by my school, and that wasn't until 7th grade.

I know someone who said his nail eating habit was a OCD problem... or many of my friends use an expression "I am such an OCD for that"... like no. It's called having a preference, or an habit... (I am not OCD myself and I do not use an expression of being "OCD" when I have an habit or something.)

I am double jointed and it cause me some troubles yeah. Also, Fibromyalgia.
    My best friend who is soon to be a doctor always tell me I have generalized anxiety but I shrug it off I don't like labels, I am how I am. Everyone that knows me know that I have hypocondriac tendencies, but probably linked with anxiety or wtv. My physical health always gave me more troubles than mental health. So fun when you hurt your wrist when you try to open a not-so-sealed water bottle and some people laugh at you or you know, dislocate something like my hips or ankles or knee when walking or taking the stairs.

Years
    • Online now
    I know someone who said his nail eating habit was a OCD problem... or many of my friends use an expression "I am such an OCD for that"... like no. It's called having a preference, or an habit... (I am not OCD myself and I do not use an expression of being "OCD" when I have an habit or something.).

I knew a girl last year in my math class who did this, she would arrange her books a certain way on her desk and tell the teacher about how it was an OCD thing. It annoyed me a little, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to get into that argument.

I would have to do things such as pray 50+ times a night, or the next day I would have bad luck. At school I had to get up from my chair and sit back down until my brain was satisfied. I would do these types of things rapidly, and sometimes my day would revolve around it. The school took notice when I nearly failed that year, because of my inability to focus. Sometimes I would completely miss instruction because I was trying to fight a thought out of my head.

Years
  • I've got anxiety, but it's selective and depends on the situation. I have rosacea and anxiety induced redness so the fear of turning red and people commenting on it is what triggers my anxiety/redness to begin with. Unfortunately I'm also very prone to stress and afraid of taking risks so that can and has lead to anxiety which was never fun. Overthinking is so tough to control. =( But I'm so happy that it's mostly manageable lately. Often you can't tell when I'm anxious but once it seriously triggers it is hella obvious. Having meds for those situations has changed my life!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2019
    How comparable do you think human things (emotions, social things, personality things, etc.) are with things in the physical sciences, lol? Like, per this thread, do human disorders equate with entropy (thermodynamics)? :)

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • I've never been formally diagnosed with anything, but I have had a few depressive episodes in the past. My dad has a degenerative genetic disorder (cerebellar ataxia) that affects balance and vision, so I might have to deal with that later in life :/

I know a ton of people with disorders, though, including: depression, autism/Asperger's, dyslexia, dyspraxia, anxiety, BPD, and probably more that I've missed.

I know someone who said his nail eating habit was a OCD problem... or many of my friends use an expression "I am such an OCD for that"... like no. It's called having a preference, or an habit... (I am not OCD myself and I do not use an expression of being "OCD" when I have an habit or something.)

As a psychology student, I hate it when people do this. It's not just OCD either - one time someone from my gaming society said they were going to make a schizophrenic character, but then they proceed to confuse schizophrenia with dissociative identity disorder (split personalities). like, no, schizophrenia is not split personalities, not even close. go educate yourself smh.

To try and answer the question above me, disorders such as the ones in this thread are caused by abnormalities in the biology and/or neurochemistry of the brain. e.g. depression is caused by an imbalance of serotonin. A lot of them also have genetic risk factors too - certain variations of a gene may make you more likely to develop certain disorders.

Years
  • I was diagnosed with ADD when I was a teenager. I took medication to keep it under control, but by the time I was 18, the doctor figured that I didn't need the medication any longer and I haven't been on medicine since.

%

percent
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2018
    anxiety & depression - both of which popped up only about 6 months ago. starting medication for it now

my friends are actually really bad at talking about it. i think it's just a teenage guy thing to not want to listen to your friends about this stuff.

fun edit: i got diagnosed with both at the same time, but was in denial about the anxiety until i had a panic attack for no reason and had to go to hospital the night before mothers day (sorry mum x)

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'm autistic. I also have very severe anxiety and ADHD. I suspect that I might be bipolar, but I can't get diagnosed. It's hard to explain. My anxiety is under some control, though there are times when it still causes me issues. It really depends tbh. I'm also pretty sure I have depression somewhere in there as well... but I haven't had that for a while as of recently. Oh, and I also breakout in hives when stressed out. I suspect that the weather might play apart in it too.

Last edited:

MaӾiej

Huge Kida Fan
    Years
  • I highly doubt I'll add anything that hasn't been said on here. In fact, the most recent poster has the same exact disorder in their first sentence. Yep, I'm ADHD with a case of mild autism/ Aspergers. Funny, how I've met so many people on the internet with the same disorder as I have. Most of them are pretty good people from what I've seen. I just wish the more negative ones would stop using the disability as an excuse for their uncalled for behavior and giving the rest of us a bad name.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have anxiety. I'm having trouble holding down jobs because I can't even go outside. In my apt building if I'm going up the stairway and hear people talking in the hallway sometimes I'm the the point where I won't even want to enter the hall. I will turn around and go the other way to avoid people.

Right now I've been having awful nightmares, a string of them all week getting more and more violent each time, dreams of murders, funerals, people breaking into my home, insanity, fires, dismemberment, being poisoned.

I don't even want to go to sleep because who knows what I will see. I wish I could make it stop. Professional help is a joke. These are not the days of Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud analyzing your dream on a couch. Doctors mostly know how to prescribe pills. The average doctor today has no idea what to do in a situation like this-- your guess is as good as theirs. If anyone knows any life hacks to help with bad dreams let me know. I will try anything.

Back