• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious To mask or not to mask...

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    That is the question?

It seems like it's a hot topic mostly here in America. People feel like it's an infringement of their rights and others just go along with it.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • It's a piece of cloth that your put on your face for the possibility that you won't kill someone. Anyone who doesn't just immediately do it is a horrible person.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Acting as though it's an infringement of your rights is the most privileged thing I've ever heard. Oh boo hoo hoo, woe is you. Try real oppression for a change - discrimination based on race, class, education or orientation to name a few.

Masks are a good thing right now. They'll help us get through this as painlessly as possible. They're not 100% effective, to claim that would be naive. But they help. Everybody wins when everybody chips in and does their part. It's not hard, and it can prevent the spread. We all live in OUR society, we don't all live in YOUR society. It's not about you and your rights, it's about our collective handling of this unforeseen pandemic.

Years
  • It's a piece of cloth that your put on your face for the possibility that you won't kill someone. Anyone who doesn't just immediately do it is a horrible person.

Yep. My GF and I are both vaccinated but we still choose to wear them when we are out. I agree 100% that if you put your "right" to risk spreading disease over the public's safety, you're pretty much a piece of trash. I don't see the debate here, right wing lemmings (who think they are individualists, lmfao) get so caught up in their consipracies and freedoms that they have a total disregard for people's safety, disgusting.

To be fair, I think the left is equally awful just in other ways so I am not being biased against the right. Ya both suck.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    A lot of people act like it's the end of the world if they have to wear a mask. When I worked at Round 1 (Japanese bowling and arcade) we have to wear a mask for 8 hours. You get customers who complain about how they can't wear one because it's to hard to breath in. Then we point to the people playing DDR while wearing a mask. It's like if they can wear one playing DDR then you can wear one for the hour or so that you're here.

I've had both of my shots and I will still wear a mask any time I go to the store.

Years
  • I have a bad gag reflex such that anything near my lower face will make me sick, but I still wear a mask because I don't trust people and it's mandatory here.

A lot of people are super immature about it. Like anti mask rallies? Seriously? You'd think the government was charging them to breathe air.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I know the county I live in just made it mandatory for all schools no matter what grade level to wear a mask while in school. There have been fights at school board meetings over this and I just think it's ridiculous. With all the things you can fight and argue about and you do it over a piece of cloth.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Nobody here wears a mask and it was never mandated by the authorities. At most, they said "maybe pls wear mask during rush hours in the buses etc maybe if you wanna".

I wear a mask to the store, on buses/trains (but preferably I avoid those alltogether) and at all times when I'm at my workplace. I sadly see many coworkers ignore it even though it is our rule, and out in public there's hardly anyone caring. People don't even give each other social distance downtown anymore, if they ever did. The idiots are really lucky that 81% of adult population has started to get vaccinated now (65% with two doses so far).

pkmin3033

I don't understand the reluctance behind this, it's such a simple and easy way to protect both yourself and other people. If you have a genuine medical reason to not wear a mask that's another matter entirely of course, but simple discomfort is not really a valid reason as far as I'm concerned.

If I have to go into a shop or a crowded area - even if it's an open area - then I'll wear a mask. I think I see more people wearing masks than not still which is great, and most people do seem to pay attention to the requests to wear masks that shops still put up, but a lot of people have stopped wearing them and that's...depressing. But oh well. They have nobody but themselves to blame if they wind up catching COVID and I have absolutely no sympathy for them if they don't take even the most basic of precautions. Just because you're fed up with it and restrictions have lifted doesn't mean it's gone away and you can throw caution to the wind.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Meh, I don't, and I don't really care if other people do or don't. I'll social distance but I don't mask. It's maybe half and half where I live. Those things give me nasty panic attacks anyway since I can't breathe well with them on.

And now I wait to be told I'm a terrible person. Ah well.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Meh, I don't, and I don't really care if other people do or don't. I'll social distance but I don't mask. It's maybe half and half where I live. Those things give me nasty panic attacks anyway since I can't breathe well with them on.

And now I wait to be told I'm a terrible person. Ah well.
    I won't say that, but I do wonder about how you reason when you choose to go out into public during a global pandemic without a mask, when masks have been shown to help prevent spreading of the virus and thus be a way for you to help protecting weaker people from dying as well as help giving the virus less chance to keep mutating, thus risking becoming more dangerous even to yourself in the future. Care to share your line of thought? :3 Unless it simply is that it's bothersome to breathe in them.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    On public transport and stores, as well as medical appointments (dentist, etc.) yes. Otherwise no. I rarely go outside when I'm home and when I go outside it's mostly me going to work. Early in the morning nobody is around and in the afternoon I always try to avoid other people, anyway.

Work is kind of weird. There was this instance were our bossed asked per email if we should make daily test. I kinda went ahead and suggested that it might be a good idea. Shortly after my boss asked me to his office and told me straight up that I was the only one who said that and if I stick with it I will be responsible for everyone having to do tests. I'm basically following along what the others do and hope things are over soon. At least next week will be my second appointment for the vaccine... <_<

Years
  • If you're in a place where a mask is still necessary and you don't wear one, you're a problem. If you live somewhere where COVID is mostly not present, fine go without if it's really that unpleasant, but still at least consider wearing a mask.

I generally don't where a mask when I'm out, but that's because there is 0 community spread in Western Australia. Any time we get told we need to go back to masks, I'll do it. I also don't go out that much anyway, to be fair.

The people having childish tantrums, refusing to wear masks and holding (often violent) protest rallies are, frankly, despicable and should be being charged with reckless endangerment on top of the standard fines for refusing to do things like socially distance, quarantine or wear masks when mandated.

If you want to get to a point where masks aren't being foisted on you by the government, then use them for a short while and obey other restrictions/regulations so the COVID situation gets to a point where it's no longer necessarily instead of behaving like a toddler... I say despite having seen actual toddlers with their masks on as they should have been during the time when it was mandated. That's what my state did and it's working out pretty damn well.

Last edited:

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I won't say that, but I do wonder about how you reason when you choose to go out into public during a global pandemic without a mask, when masks have been shown to help prevent spreading of the virus and thus be a way for you to help protecting weaker people from dying as well as help giving the virus less chance to keep mutating, thus risking becoming more dangerous even to yourself in the future. Care to share your line of thought? :3 Unless it simply is that it's bothersome to breathe in them.

You could cite several studies that say they're effective. You can cite several that say they are not. You can cite several studies that say vaccines cause the variants, and you can cite several that dispute that as well. Simply put: we don't know. Empirical data is all over the place, and anecdotal data even more so. What I do know is the states in the US with the most mask mandates tend to have the highest rates of Covid, whereas the ones that are lax have lower rates (in general. Like comparing California to Florida; obviously there will be outliers, as there is with literally everything). You have places in the Middle East that have mandated masks and have higher rates of death. You have places next door to these other places that have both mandated masks and have not, that both have higher rates of death and lower ones.

I did a little research about 2 months back, looking at the rates of mask mandates and no mandates vs deaths that I thought was interesting. Pulled some random places and looked their rate of death in percentages. You can see the ones I documented myself here, and draw your own conclusions. All in all, I find the percentage differences so completely inconclusive and insignificant. And they're all very low either way.
    Spoiler:

The fact that the evidence is shaky at best really has me completely unafraid of this virus, mask or otherwise. Besides, I do things much more dangerous every day. I'm currently pregnant and that has a very good chance of giving me a boat-load of health problems, even killing me or my baby in the end (postpartum hemorrhage could kill me very fast; eclampsia/HELLP syndrome; heart attack; blood clot in my brain or my lungs; baby could have the cord wrapped around his/her neck; could just be born dead from fetal distress; SIDS). I could get into a car accident on the highway to either my OB appointments or my midwife appointments and be seriously maimed or killed.

People bring up the whole "what about other people?" thing constantly. If there are people at risk of Covid, they are typically older and usually hold up in their homes all the time anyway. I've seen numerous elderly people walking around without masks. I've seen plenty with them, too. I know plenty that don't go out, and plenty that do. It becomes their choice. Some of these people have access to ways to mitigate their chances of Covid, and some do not. Some care, some don't. I don't choose to base anything else in my life over what is best for other people - just myself and those closest to me. Some say that's selfish. I say it's a completely normal state of being, and what people have done ever since people have existed.

I think this whole Covid thing is silly as it is anyway. Shit happens, things kill you. You can take every measure against Covid that you want and then still die from it (despite what the media likes to push, both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can die from Covid). You can take every measure, then get hit by a car while walking across the road, or drop dead from a heart attack. I don't go around slapping unhealthy, fatty, greasy foods out of peoples' hands so they can avoid all the diseases known to come from them. I don't advocate for people to never cross the street. And I don't go around telling people what they should and shouldn't do.

I do find it fascinating, and really biased, that people often want you to explain your position for NOT masking and NOT getting the jab, but then never seem to want people to explain why they do want those things. And I don't cave to peer pressure, so all the screaming at unmasked and unvaxxed people to mask up and vax up does nothing to convince me. Not saying that's what you did here, but I remember simply stating that I'm not vaxxed and won't be in another thread, and suddenly 3 people were shoving shoddy statistics in my face and questioning my personal choices, and plenty more places outside of this forum where I've been even more "in hot water" (as hot of water as a stupid Internet argument can be, at least) over my views. As if this world needs yet another thing to divide us.

So wear a mask. Or don't. I don't care.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I see. I disagree, as you've probably guessed, and I realize that no good will come from us debating things here. Thank you for sharing your line of reasoning, CiCi, as that's what I was curious about.

Years
  • The reason people don't ask reasoning for getting vaccinated or wearing a mask is because the reasoning is obvious.

1. You don't want to get sick and potentially die.
    2. You don't want to cause other people to get sick and potentially die.

It's a combination of self-preservation and empathy. It's not complicated. People ask why people don't do those things because they want to know what reasoning you could possibly have that outweighs either of those two things.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Covid is an illness that, even if it doesn't kill you, can cause extremely serious long-term side-effects, including brain damage, loss of smell and taste, constant coughing and exhaustion. I don't want to risk it. Masks sharply cut down the risk of catching and spreading the virus, at the cost of a minuscule annoyance to 99% of the population. Vaccines, meanwhile, drastically cut down the risk of catching the virus, and if you do, they also dramatically slash the risk of the illness becoming serious, at the cost of a few days of mild aches. Wearing a mask and getting jabbed, therefore, are two very easy ways of cutting down the risks of getting sick, perhaps for a lifetime, and/or dying from it from "roll a dice, if you roll 1 you die, 2 you get long-term ill" to "get a lottery ticket out of 100,000, two of them have a prize". It's the equivalent of wearing a seat belt when you ride a car or a helmet when you ride a bike- they won't save you 100% of the time but you're extremely more likely to suffer serious consequences if you happen to have an accident without those.

With these facts in mind, I'm jabbed and I wear a mask any time I'm in a closed space or in an open, very crowded area. And I just feel pity for people who think the virus isn't serious, or who think wearing a mask or getting a jab are anything more than a very minor inconvenience.

Years
  • I only wear it when in crowded places.
    So basically my once a week grocery run lol

I work outside so I don't need one while working as I can just keep distance. Work + groceries = why I leave my house pretty much xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    To me it seems like the US makes the biggest deal over having to wear a mask. Those of you in other countries did it seem like people made a huge fuss over mask-wearing like we do in the States?

Back