• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] is rp intimidating?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • this could apply to many aspects! is rp scary to jump into? why or why not? is tabletop rpg something difficult to get involved in? is it easier irl or online? are there particular rp communities that seem closed off? (are we that way?) what are the major barriers to getting involved with a new group?

Years
  • Personally it's more like "I don't trust myself to ever have the consistent discipline to write a lot" heh. I've never been a writer naturally, and rarely ever finish any stories that I begin. It's worse now when other people and accountability are thrown into the mix. I remember constantly slowing down that first RP I joined with Riki and others some months ago, because there were long stretches where I had zero drive :<

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Have to agree with Roni for sure - you really need to consider if you'll have the time or not, and as busy adults, that will likely hold us back since we'd hate to let other writers down, particularly in a new RP where drop-outs can hurt progress/motivation. It's why I prefer when the GM adds sandbox-y elements to RPs since you don't have to stress tooo much about that! I'm definitely terrible with commitments because my home life's pretty volatile, so yeah, it's tough when you have the enthusiasm but lack the time.

Probably the most intimidating aspect for me is jumping into something with strangers and having that initial awkwardness, especially when you're new to RP overall and everyone is far more comfortable RPing with people they know, people they have chemistry with! It's hard for me to get past that stage without massive anxiety. :x Which is more a me problem really, haha. I could never really take part in live RPing, like tabletop games - just the prospect makes my anxiety skyrocket - but they are super fun to spectate!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    is rp scary to jump into? why or why not?

Kinda? I mean, roleplay is fundamentally a cooperative medium so you have to not only consider the usual "problems" with writing (quality, making sure your point is getting across, the balance between description, character progression and plot progression, etc.) but adds some new extra problems because now you have to consider how your actions will affect other people, and you kinda have a bit of a forced deadline because not posting means you can kinda end up stalling things for everybody else too.

If we're talking about GMing, there's also the problem with making a setting, making it make sense, and trying to make things engaging to players without making it feel railroad-ey (or unfair, whenever the DM has to mediate things like combat or NPCs).

is tabletop rpg something difficult to get involved in? is it easier irl or online?
    I've tried a few times before, but it's a bit harder for me because it's being done in a more freeform format that's happening in real time and it can feel daunting at times to try and figure out how the character would act and react, while simultaneously progressing the plot and not coming across as a selfish jerk (the famous "the rogue is stealing from the party because it's what the character would do").

When I have time I can try to consider things from a more thorough standpoint (although I'll admit that even then I still struggle with this, just less because I can think things through more).

are there particular rp communities that seem closed off? (are we that way?) what are the major barriers to getting involved with a new group?
    As far as PC is concerned, I don't think there are any communities that are particularly closed off (besides the ones that are already, well, closed).

Although I do think that getting involved with a new group can be tricky for the same reasons nobody really likes to do a group project with strangers, it's just a bit awkward dealing with someone you don't really know, I don't think there's anything actionable per se to be done here.

Years
  • I mostly have trouble making characters and keeping them consistent. RP on PC wouldn't be intimidating to me. :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I can't say it's intimidating because I've been part of this for over a decade now. But it's exhausting as it needs attention and dedication and active effort if it's anything story based or interaction driven, and it's a constant overhanging "i should probably write something" as opposed to my DnD campaigns' "soon it is this time of week again when we sit down and DnD".

Maybe that's something worth trying? Having actual writing sessions for our forum RPs?? That the group either decides as a standing appointment on a weekly / biweekly basis at the start of a RP, or they schedule new ones every now and then whenever people can attend. And then they could even sit in a VC and talk/type together in docs or solo write and just have companionship and a dedicated hour or three to Actually Type Things Up. Just like DnD sessions are. Ish. :)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • As someone who has only really rped on Twitter and Tumblr and another Pokemon forum a few times, yes. I'd have to say it can be intimidating. Especially on the Twitter side of things. Twitter rp has evolved to a point where I feel OCs are just unwelcome. So, I have decided it's best to just write a fanfiction instead of what I had originally planned for my my oc.

I am a recluse irl and getting me to play a tabletop rpg would take a lot of convincing, tbh. I don't like talking to people all that much, so it's just not for me.

& Yes, tbh, the Genshin Twitter Rp world seems extremely closed off and like a cesspool of people who won't write with you unless your layout is super fancy on your page. Which is why I haven't joined, and won't.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I don't know if this is a thing for anyone else, but I always felt like it's more so the term "roleplayer" is kind of stigmatized and lends to an image of like, nerds in medieval costumes sitting around a table, talking like they are in a fantasy world or furries going *awoo! nuzzles* in text, stuff like that that might put people off. I've had a few conversations with people here on PC, even, that were like "ew, roleplaying" because of whatever preconceived notions they might have had of it until you explain it's essentially just creative writing with other people.

On a personal note (and I know YMMV), I also don't really feel like it even describes what we do in the RPT for the most part because I've never felt like I am playing the role of my characters, I am just writing a story about them. I don't like to imagine I am my characters, although I suppose it takes a certain level of thinking as your characters to write them, and I guess that's why it's called roleplaying.

Had the RPT been called "Collaborative Creative Writing" or something like that, which, I know is a bit of a mouthful but I feel more accurately describes what the activity really is at a glance, I think I would have checked it out much sooner, because "Roleplay Theatre" does not really tell someone who is new to all this what the activity is actually about. I do understand it's kind of a old school forum staple, though - I remember almost any forum I've been a part of always had a roleplaying section, but for said reasons above I never checked them out.

And for those of you who remember the Worldbuilding forum we had here, in retrospect I think that was a good test to show that a simple rebranding did help draw in quite a few new members, or at least piqued their interest. A lot of people, like me, showed up exclusively to that to "worldbuild", and we even ended up "playing" in those worlds for a few of the threads. I had no idea what I was doing was what people would refer to as roleplaying, I just liked worldbuilding with my friends and creative writing. And there was even a lot of discourse at the time where the RP mods didn't like the overlap since it was essentially the same thing to them, but it was taking away potential interest from what was a very similar activity under a different name, though I don't think that interest was ever bridged between the two forums because once Worldbuilding shut down, a lot of regulars there didn't really transfer to RPT. Not immediately, at least.

And to be clear, I'm not calling for or suggesting a rebrand, but just some food for thought. :P I do know there are new members joining from time to time who are specifically looking to get into an RP here, and if PC is the only forum to call Roleplaying something completely different then that's also confusing, but from the perspective of someone who didn't consider themselves a "roleplayer" until more recently, I think this is a common take among people who have not done writing like this on forums before. I think "roleplaying" is just such a nebulous term that refers to so many different things outside of this kind of writing, that's kind of where the confusion comes in, and then coming in to our generally long form rps with pages and pages of heavy text, I can see how that can be intimidating. That's what I've gleaned from some of my non-rping friends on PC/our discord I've talked to recently who just really struggled to understand what RP is.

Years
  • i've always dreaded roleplaying because the same question always bothered me: how do i start?

i mean, you can shove guideline after guideline in my face, but i'd be too trapped in my own mind of "am i doing this right", "how do i even interact with other people's character's properly", etc. as stated before, roleplay is collaborative writing. so then, how do i word my roleplaying post so that it'd fit into the plot/narrative? what if the gm moves the plot along, how do i handle that?

i'll admit this is overthinking a tad, but this is also coming from someone who hasn't done serious roleplaying in like... forever. i basically worry that i'd be screwing up the flow of the roleplay with my mess of a post and then that'd make me want to leave, which causes me not to bother in the first place.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i've always dreaded roleplaying because the same question always bothered me: how do i start?

i mean, you can shove guideline after guideline in my face, but i'd be too trapped in my own mind of "am i doing this right", "how do i even interact with other people's character's properly", etc. as stated before, roleplay is collaborative writing. so then, how do i word my roleplaying post so that it'd fit into the plot/narrative? what if the gm moves the plot along, how do i handle that?

i'll admit this is overthinking a tad, but this is also coming from someone who hasn't done serious roleplaying in like... forever. i basically worry that i'd be screwing up the flow of the roleplay with my mess of a post and then that'd make me want to leave, which causes me not to bother in the first place.
    Learning by doing is the only way c: due to me being a shifty busy butt my recent RP got canceled but in it I had 3 newcomers who seemed to be doing really well when we started interacting. A good GM will help you and guide you and make sure you grasp how to write before too long~ it's also different from RP to RP, and how the plot is moved along etc. But essentially rule of thumb is: communicate and try, it's better than being silent and not trying <3 Everybody starts somewhere, not every post will be perfect, and posts can also always be edited if need be.

I don't know if this is a thing for anyone else, but I always felt like it's more so the term "roleplayer" is kind of stigmatized and lends to an image of like, nerds in medieval costumes sitting around a table, talking like they are in a fantasy world or furries going *awoo! nuzzles* in text, stuff like that that might put people off. I've had a few conversations with people here on PC, even, that were like "ew, roleplaying" because of whatever preconceived notions they might have had of it until you explain it's essentially just creative writing with other people.

On a personal note (and I know YMMV), I also don't really feel like it even describes what we do in the RPT for the most part because I've never felt like I am playing the role of my characters, I am just writing a story about them. I don't like to imagine I am my characters, although I suppose it takes a certain level of thinking as your characters to write them, and I guess that's why it's called roleplaying.

Had the RPT been called "Collaborative Creative Writing" or something like that, which, I know is a bit of a mouthful but I feel more accurately describes what the activity really is at a glance, I think I would have checked it out much sooner, because "Roleplay Theatre" does not really tell someone who is new to all this what the activity is actually about. I do understand it's kind of a old school forum staple, though - I remember almost any forum I've been a part of always had a roleplaying section, but for said reasons above I never checked them out.

And for those of you who remember the Worldbuilding forum we had here, in retrospect I think that was a good test to show that a simple rebranding did help draw in quite a few new members, or at least piqued their interest. A lot of people, like me, showed up exclusively to that to "worldbuild", and we even ended up "playing" in those worlds for a few of the threads. I had no idea what I was doing was what people would refer to as roleplaying, I just liked worldbuilding with my friends and creative writing. And there was even a lot of discourse at the time where the RP mods didn't like the overlap since it was essentially the same thing to them, but it was taking away potential interest from what was a very similar activity under a different name, though I don't think that interest was ever bridged between the two forums because once Worldbuilding shut down, a lot of regulars there didn't really transfer to RPT. Not immediately, at least.

And to be clear, I'm not calling for or suggesting a rebrand, but just some food for thought. :P I do know there are new members joining from time to time who are specifically looking to get into an RP here, and if PC is the only forum to call Roleplaying something completely different then that's also confusing, but from the perspective of someone who didn't consider themselves a "roleplayer" until more recently, I think this is a common take among people who have not done writing like this on forums before. I think "roleplaying" is just such a nebulous term that refers to so many different things outside of this kind of writing, that's kind of where the confusion comes in, and then coming in to our generally long form rps with pages and pages of heavy text, I can see how that can be intimidating. That's what I've gleaned from some of my non-rping friends on PC/our discord I've talked to recently who just really struggled to understand what RP is.
    Thing is, other kinds of RPing are welcome here as well, and tabletop stuff like DnD etc. Roleplaying seems a p good collective term for it all~

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • wheeeooo thank you all for the thoughtful responses! lemme dive in now that ive got a minute~ i've tried to group similar thoughts together so it may be a little messy haha

Personally it's more like "I don't trust myself to ever have the consistent discipline to write a lot" heh. I've never been a writer naturally, and rarely ever finish any stories that I begin. It's worse now when other people and accountability are thrown into the mix. I remember constantly slowing down that first RP I joined with Riki and others some months ago, because there were long stretches where I had zero drive :<
    Have to agree with Roni for sure - you really need to consider if you'll have the time or not, and as busy adults, that will likely hold us back since we'd hate to let other writers down, particularly in a new RP where drop-outs can hurt progress/motivation. It's why I prefer when the GM adds sandbox-y elements to RPs since you don't have to stress tooo much about that! I'm definitely terrible with commitments because my home life's pretty volatile, so yeah, it's tough when you have the enthusiasm but lack the time.
    Kinda? I mean, roleplay is fundamentally a cooperative medium so you have to not only consider the usual "problems" with writing (quality, making sure your point is getting across, the balance between description, character progression and plot progression, etc.) but adds some new extra problems because now you have to consider how your actions will affect other people, and you kinda have a bit of a forced deadline because not posting means you can kinda end up stalling things for everybody else too.
    Consistency and participation definitely matter a lot in this activity! It is very dependent on the individual what each are motivated by and do well with. Some people do well with chipping away at their work, and others prefer to just bang it all out and not pay attention for a while after that. Some people like to have the GM hold their hand and take a super active role in driving the story, and others prefer to be left to their own devices. Knowing yourself and evaluating the games that appear based on that is important. I feel like Roni, you might benefit from styles that lean more towards a game with elements of characterization, if the struggle is that you're not much of a writer. Things that hinge on character statistics and choices between limited options, you know? Annie- I wonder how you do with deadlines? You'd probably have a lot of fun in a true sandbox RP, with no plot you have to chase and no time limit on what you want to do. But even the most sandboxy of roleplays we have tend to have an overarching idea of either plot or sticking together to facilitate interaction. So I wonder if consistent and clear deadlines or expectations might be beneficial to you when playing. And Shooting Star, you have a great handle on the interconnected aspects- I would say you're not wrong to view it all as a bit of a balancing act, but I can also say that these things often click into place as you go, to the point where I could pull multiple examples of shocking serendipity created from choices made without perhaps enough thought behind them. We create problems for ourselves, sure, but time spent talking it through always finds a solution. The interconnectivity of the players allows for all of us to help figure it out together, rather than struggling alone. :)

I can't say it's intimidating because I've been part of this for over a decade now. But it's exhausting as it needs attention and dedication and active effort if it's anything story based or interaction driven, and it's a constant overhanging "i should probably write something" as opposed to my DnD campaigns' "soon it is this time of week again when we sit down and DnD".

Maybe that's something worth trying? Having actual writing sessions for our forum RPs?? That the group either decides as a standing appointment on a weekly / biweekly basis at the start of a RP, or they schedule new ones every now and then whenever people can attend. And then they could even sit in a VC and talk/type together in docs or solo write and just have companionship and a dedicated hour or three to Actually Type Things Up. Just like DnD sessions are. Ish. :)
    I think that's just a struggle of the written roleplay format. It it's something you enjoy and have the energy to keep up with, it's amazing, right? But if you're not the type of person to want to check in on people or the chat or keep track of what everyone is working on all the time, it can get very overwhelming- especially in a group of more active contributors.

I don't know how helpful it would be to have a scheduled writing session. Perhaps in some groups it would work! I find I run into so many scheduling conflicts across the board already that I can't help but think people would end up excluded, especially ones who aren't comfortable on VC. Myself included- I live in a household where I rarely am able to have space to myself for calls. Also I have to assume that there are others like me who could not write a damn thing if their attention was split, though certainly there are also people like you who that would benefit. But getting a whole group to vibe like that is daunting. I've made a point to often ask my JP partners to schedule a time with me where we can bang the whole thing (or at least a good chunk of it) out- it does flow more naturally and gets done more quickly! I love it! But I don't think I could bear the distraction of VC or many people chatting together while doing so.

I greatly encourage people to evaluate their own schedules and find maybe two blocks per week that work for them, where they can set aside an hour or so to read up or write. Having that knowledge that in those times you will be participating, and that you don't have to worry about writing when you are not in those times, it frees people up from that "I should really be doing something" thought. Because then you know you did something, and will do something again, at your scheduled time. Making "rules" for yourself works with a lot of brains. :) also honing our time management skills lets us become less overwhelmed across the board

Probably the most intimidating aspect for me is jumping into something with strangers and having that initial awkwardness, especially when you're new to RP overall and everyone is far more comfortable RPing with people they know, people they have chemistry with! It's hard for me to get past that stage without massive anxiety. :x Which is more a me problem really, haha.
    As far as PC is concerned, I don't think there are any communities that are particularly closed off (besides the ones that are already, well, closed).

Although I do think that getting involved with a new group can be tricky for the same reasons nobody really likes to do a group project with strangers, it's just a bit awkward dealing with someone you don't really know, I don't think there's anything actionable per se to be done here.
    I appreciate Shooting Star's note earlier that RP is a "fundamentally cooperative medium". I think that's an incredibly important thing to remember, especially considering that the majority of what we do here is more like fully collaborative writing- closer to fanfiction than any other roleplaying experience I can really think of. But because it is fundamentally cooperative, it's important to bridge what social gaps there are in order to play together. I don't want to say "everyone has anxiety about getting to know people" but like, putting yourself out there is hard! I get that, I really do. Definitely part of the GM's job is to help people connect, but players must also curb their own anxieties to reach out as well. We must all remember that we get involved with the same goals: to play whatever game the GM has dreamed up, and if nothing else, we have that connection. Let's then make it a good game, right? There's a lot of communication that happens and needs to happen, and we have to accept that to be able to participate wholly. I find success in connecting simply by constantly talking about game-related things: tell me about your characters! What if they did this? How can this fit well into the world we are building? What does that mean for the future? Should we write together soon? What scenario would be a good interaction point for our characters? The more we talk, the more we bond, the better we flow together when we write! That's my take, anyway~

As someone who has only really rped on Twitter and Tumblr and another Pokemon forum a few times, yes. I'd have to say it can be intimidating. Especially on the Twitter side of things. Twitter rp has evolved to a point where I feel OCs are just unwelcome. So, I have decided it's best to just write a fanfiction instead of what I had originally planned for my my oc.
    [...]
    & Yes, tbh, the Genshin Twitter Rp world seems extremely closed off and like a cesspool of people who won't write with you unless your layout is super fancy on your page. Which is why I haven't joined, and won't.
    I've heard before that Twitter RP is really difficult to get into and find the kind of people you really vibe with. It's a big place, and the search and filter is difficult to manage, and you often have people whose ideas just completely clash with yours trying to get involved in your world. While PC suffers from lack of roleplayers all around, Twitter seems to suffer from an inability to find or connect with the people who would work well with you. From what little knowledge I have, I'm rather unsurprised to hear that a Twitter RP community would reject OCs, but it's still a sting. There are often big names and big faces in a community that set the rules and power the opinions and actions of the people in it, and splinter groups are often harassed and cowed. But once you find a good community, things can blossom readily. I hope you keep looking, Kory, because there've gotta be people out there who vibe with you better than what you've seen so far. But fanfiction certainly isn't a bad outlet at all- just a different medium that gives different benefits.

If we're talking about GMing, there's also the problem with making a setting, making it make sense, and trying to make things engaging to players without making it feel railroad-ey (or unfair, whenever the DM has to mediate things like combat or NPCs).
    GMing is also a difficult balance, I don't deny that. An unfair GM can ruin an experience, and that's just unfortunate for everyone involved. It usually, in my experience, results from a GM that has not quite prepared enough worldbuilding, or is responding too extremely to a situation they were blindsided by. GMs must be gracious, and accept when this problem is pointed out. But also, a GM has to have confidence in their ideas and mechanics, and present the world as clearly to the players as possible. Communication, as always, is the key! Engagement depends on it, because engagement means knowing what your players would like to do or try. I also personally like to put together a rulebook, or something else I can point to in order to mediate. If everyone knows the rules, the few breaks in them are easily resolved. I think people are too afraid of railroading, though, because it's a valuable tool. If there is no railroading of any sort- no deadlines, no slightly contrived plot points, no GM intervention- it often becomes unlikely that things move forward at all, and the game stagnates and dies an unfulfilling death. A GM's role is to facilitate, and while they should strive to say "yes, and" to their players, it becomes and issue if they keep saying "yes" to one who would like three months to complete a post while four more are waiting. We all must give our respect to each others' ideas, time, and effort, but our respect does not mean our full lenience.

I could never really take part in live RPing, like tabletop games - just the prospect makes my anxiety skyrocket - but they are super fun to spectate!
    I've tried a few times before, but it's a bit harder for me because it's being done in a more freeform format that's happening in real time and it can feel daunting at times to try and figure out how the character would act and react, while simultaneously progressing the plot and not coming across as a selfish jerk (the famous "the rogue is stealing from the party because it's what the character would do").

When I have time I can try to consider things from a more thorough standpoint (although I'll admit that even then I still struggle with this, just less because I can think things through more).
    I am a recluse irl and getting me to play a tabletop rpg would take a lot of convincing, tbh. I don't like talking to people all that much, so it's just not for me.
    That's a mood, y'all. I'm fully in camp "it's too fast-paced", though I know many people thrive in it. How would you feel about a text-based adventure with more TTRPG-style mechanics? Is that something that would appeal?

I mostly have trouble making characters and keeping them consistent. RP on PC wouldn't be intimidating to me. :)
    I have kind of a method for this tbh! RP does tend to throw you into situations that you haven't necessarily thought of, or figured out how a character would react. I try to write down some really solid but very limited core qualities for my character to determine if their responses are consistent. For example, my boy Casey: He will help himself first, and others if it costs nothing to him. He will take every opportunity to be moving, learning, and experiencing. He talks constantly, and listens well, but keeps personal matters close to his chest. He is a champion of directing conversation; he is evasive, but rarely outright lies. He is very bad at committing to things he doesn't actually want to do. I can think about these qualities, write something down, and then think about them again. If they match up, great! If not, something needs to be shifted.

i've always dreaded roleplaying because the same question always bothered me: how do i start?

communication baybeeee
    Seriously, communication. Talking to your collaborators, chatting here in the talk threads, hitting up your GM for every little question until you ease into the flow if it. It's okay! Everyone deserves the help they need to stand on their own two feet, don't they?
    Another method, for the quieter, is observation. You don't have to be part of an RP to read it- it's good fun to stand on the sidelines sometimes, and cheer people on too! But even while doing so, it's good to think about: how did they come up with that? What would I have thought to do? How did they get that JP to flow so well? I can see they are setting up something here- can I figure out what it is? Should I be able to? How much of this is GM-inspired, and how much is not? Where can I see the influence of others? It can't be just me that enjoys doing that stuff haha. And quite honestly if you choose to read something I have also read/am participating in, I would love to hear commentary DM'd to me as you go. THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE TBH!! I love that shit!!

-> getting to karen's post on its own bc holy shit girl u really popped off

Years
  • I want to say yes, but seeing as how I'm probably one of the biggest contributors to both PC RPs I'm in, it's probably not as intimidating as I might think. I have a tendency to get overwhelmed by things easily, and even if I have gotten better at managing that, it still makes RP seem intimidating at times. Hell, even in both Trainers and HS1 I might have entire months where writing for those feels overwhelming and it's entirely a matter of just getting myself to do it. I'm just bad at doing tasks is my biggest issue really, and sometimes being in RPs can add to that already long list of things I should do but haven't.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • That's a mood, y'all. I'm fully in camp "it's too fast-paced", though I know many people thrive in it. How would you feel about a text-based adventure with more TTRPG-style mechanics? Is that something that would appeal?

Sort of like Lycan's Fire Type Emblem? I think something like that would be a lot of fun, and I miss it! It had a few problems of its own though, most notably, only one or two people would carry the whole thing and the others would dwindle off feeling like it's not really collaborative anymore, they're just following orders lol. But then, without those people leading and pinging all the time, activity took a nosedive since it became too passive!

I think something like that would require multiple GMs to keep it fed, since Lycan had a lot on his hands doing it all alone. I'd love to see TTRPG mechanics though!

---

I'm really at a conflict with myself when it comes to RPing. Every now and then I get super enthused about it, and I really want to jump into one. But I have to be realistic and reign that in. I mean it when I say my household is volatile haha, like, I might have a couple good days of free time and then something will happen and I'll ghost for weeks because I can't keep on top of it, let alone pursue hobbies as well! It's... really not conducive to social activities. I already learned this the hard way with Eleanor's Together Forever RP - I really struggled to get any writing done, but couldn't explain why. And the worst thing is being the player who has to say "sorry everyone, won't be joining in on that/don't expect a post from me, life is hassling me again". All the time!

So while I can't explain exactly what type of RP would suit someone like that, I'll probably have to watch from afar until I either have the dedication to create my own, or join one that looks comfortable enough for me. ^^;

Years
  • When you're first jumping into something with new people, it can be a little "intimidating" based purely on the lack of familiarity. What do these people want out of the experience? That sort of thing. All in all though, I don't find RP particularly intimidating beyond that first little speed bump. I'm confident in my ability to create compelling characters and narratives and I have enough experience with both text rp and ttrpg's now that it's pretty easy for me to slide into an RP and just start doing it. GMing is even easier for me and is arguably where my strengths really lie since that puts me in a place where I have a lot more control.

I think TTRPGs are a little bit more intimidating by nature because of the real-time aspect and the voice communication. But, an important word of advice to people who are curious about TTRPGs, nobody reasonable expects you to have a 100% grasp on your character in session 1 beyond their core characteristics and the general gist of their important backstory elements. This is a whole ass person you're getting into the mind of, you can't be expected to know everything minute detail about them. You've only just met them! You'll learn more about them as you play them and they will naturally grow and change from the events they experience - just like text RP... and, you know, people.

Ultimately, the best way to get passed feeling intimidated by RP is to experience it and get used to it.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • is rp scary to jump into? why or why not? is tabletop rpg something difficult to get involved in? is it easier irl or online? are there particular rp communities that seem closed off? (are we that way?) what are the major barriers to getting involved with a new group?

Ayyyyy where do I start. Roleplaying is a kind of scary activity in that it's largely cooperative rather than competitive, and the way we are geared (nature, nurture, you pick your poison) makes it idfficult sometimes to not step on other people's toes.

One of the important barriers to staying in an RP is the changes of pace, IMO. In particular for RPs that manage to last long enough, let's say more than one year, as people get older and acquire responsibilities, the spare time that could be assigned to RP competes against other spare time activities or even against time of resting itself. Sure, you don't want to leave anyone of the other players hanging, but it *will* happen if you have to tend to a family member or go to an extra meeting and the next chance of coordinating something online is ~24 hours ahead depending on timezones.

Have to agree with Roni for sure - you really need to consider if you'll have the time or not, and as busy adults, that will likely hold us back since we'd hate to let other writers down, particularly in a new RP where drop-outs can hurt progress/motivation. It's why I prefer when the GM adds sandbox-y elements to RPs since you don't have to stress tooo much about that! I'm definitely terrible with commitments because my home life's pretty volatile, so yeah, it's tough when you have the enthusiasm but lack the time.

I can understand that. Like, I know I'd like to participate in more RPs, but not only first I'd have to find an RP I like, it'd also have an RP where I don't need to commit to write more than one post a week. At that pace, the RP would have to last months to get anywhere useful. It was ultimately the reason why I left the RP I was in, that was already 5 years old at the time (now 10): as more people joined and activity picked up, it simply was no longer possible for me to keep up in a way that allowed my characters to retain any sense of relevance.

I don't know if this is a thing for anyone else, but I always felt like it's more so the term "roleplayer" is kind of stigmatized and lends to an image of like, nerds in medieval costumes sitting around a table, talking like they are in a fantasy world or furries going *awoo! nuzzles* in text, stuff like that that might put people off.
    Wait, you don't howl in roleplays? /s

And for those of you who remember the Worldbuilding forum we had here, in retrospect I think that was a good test to show that a simple rebranding did help draw in quite a few new members, or at least piqued their interest. A lot of people, like me, showed up exclusively to that to "worldbuild", and we even ended up "playing" in those worlds for a few of the threads.
    Hey, a worldbuilding thing? If y'all ever lift something like that back up, lemme know!

Consistency and participation definitely matter a lot in this activity! It is very dependent on the individual what each are motivated by and do well with. Some people do well with chipping away at their work, and others prefer to just bang it all out and not pay attention for a while after that.
    That's one of the reasons why it's difficult for me to engage at all to be honest: while I try to be consistent with my things, I do have to still pay more consistency to the things I'm being paid to. The day fanwork becomes well accepted enough and recognized that it is still, ultimately, work just like any other writing or actoring work, and we can be compensated for it, I'll be able to offer lots more consistency.

I greatly encourage people to evaluate their own schedules and find maybe two blocks per week that work for them, where they can set aside an hour or so to read up or write.
    I'm doing that, unfortunately it's reserved for fic writing and not for roleplaying, but if something comes up that makes it worth a shot, that'd be nice.

Making "rules" for yourself works with a lot of brains. :) also honing our time management skills lets us become less overwhelmed across the board
    Joke's on you, my proven-to-work time management strategy is "wait until 72 hours before deadline to ramp up writing prowess lol (someone pls help me)

And that's about my feedback on the issue. Like, RP in and of itself is not too intimidating, it's not too much unlike theatre back at school. It's just that it's not the kind of activity that, even in *our* circles, is properly promoted and eased into.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I don't know if this is a thing for anyone else, but I always felt like it's more so the term "roleplayer" is kind of stigmatized and lends to an image of like, nerds in medieval costumes sitting around a table, talking like they are in a fantasy world or furries going *awoo! nuzzles* in text, stuff like that that might put people off. I've had a few conversations with people here on PC, even, that were like "ew, roleplaying" because of whatever preconceived notions they might have had of it until you explain it's essentially just creative writing with other people.
    I don't think you're wrong in this; even amongst the type of nerds that frequent Pokémon forums well into their adulthood the idea of "roleplaying" definitely still... is the "wrong" type of nerdy. TTRPGS have gained footholds as more acceptable in casual nerd spaces recently but I really think the "strategy game" aspect of them lends themselves to legitimacy. Pokémon itself, being something that lends itself to, uh, what is generally viewed as "cringe content" or straight up weird porn, probably doesn't really help this view.

I vibe with that. Like, every other type of roleplaying I've ever seen, twitter and tumblr and other forums and everything- I've seen few examples approached with the same intensity and focus on the length and quality of writing. And PC sees this as the norm. It's a very different approach imo, which is not at all a bad approach, but I don't think it resonates with people who are used to less writing-intensive roleplay experience. But nor does it always resonate with those who fall more on the creative writing side- the interactive aspects may seem appealing, but as we've said they also can become limiting and take control out of a writers' hands.

The idea of WoPC as a rebranding of Roleplaying is a fascinating one, for real. I'd never thought of it that way! But it certainly was- come build your regions. Come control your them on the global stage. Participate in the world's story and prompts. Allow people to play as citizens of your region. It was roleplaying, on a grand scale. It was quite contentious that is was RP under a different name but you're right, like- we can't discount its success and its draw at all. Not only you- I came to RP from there! That was my pull into this roleplaying community! Though as you said- it took a while. I didn't make the association that I could come here and do similar things as I was doing there. Why didn't we? Why did the fight from RPT against WoPC result in people dispersing rather than moving over? I mean, I can speculate. I can speculate that harsh restrictions and harsh words led to resentment, and to walls being thrown up. I can speculate that RPT still refused to allow posts under 100 words, or games that were heavily mechanics-based. But however it happened- we didn't bring the joy and community we built in WoPC into RPT. And that was a loss on both ends.

We're definitely still stuck in hosting a single format of roleplaying. There are so many ideas that can sit under the "Roleplaying" umbrella- TTRPG, shared-world storytelling, back-and-forth one-liner improv. You can play OCs or you can play your take on canon characters. Play a mechanics-heavy game or focus entirely on story. I think if we had rebranded to "Collaborative Writing" years ago, it might have stirred some interest. But as we're now trying to broaden our horizons- Roleplaying fits well, but we have to get the word out to people that it's bigger than they think. There are more ways to play, more things to enjoy. I don't really know how to reconcile that. At the very least, I think changing our forum tagline on the index from "Discuss, Create, & Join Roleplays" to something like "Collaborative Writing & TTRPGs" is something. Making sure to write, in every corner people look at, that we are all-encompassing. But the biggest part is getting people to pay attention at all :')

I want to say yes, but seeing as how I'm probably one of the biggest contributors to both PC RPs I'm in, it's probably not as intimidating as I might think. I have a tendency to get overwhelmed by things easily, and even if I have gotten better at managing that, it still makes RP seem intimidating at times. Hell, even in both Trainers and HS1 I might have entire months where writing for those feels overwhelming and it's entirely a matter of just getting myself to do it. I'm just bad at doing tasks is my biggest issue really, and sometimes being in RPs can add to that already long list of things I should do but haven't.
    Definitely a task management issue ahaha. You're one of those people that doesn't have much issue starting new things, but can overextend herself easily. And that's a mood. Knowing your own limits is so important to be able to keep active and contributing!

Sort of like Lycan's Fire Type Emblem? I think something like that would be a lot of fun, and I miss it! It had a few problems of its own though, most notably, only one or two people would carry the whole thing and the others would dwindle off feeling like it's not really collaborative anymore, they're just following orders lol. But then, without those people leading and pinging all the time, activity took a nosedive since it became too passive!

I think something like that would require multiple GMs to keep it fed, since Lycan had a lot on his hands doing it all alone. I'd love to see TTRPG mechanics though!
    Yes, things like that! Perhaps with further story elements- things that stuck with me are Managrimm's Ceriah and Bac's sequel to it Sanctuare (sample 1 / sample 2. Excuse that the latter samples are my own posts, I just want to illustrate the concept and the OP is gone. It was interesting that people could still play the game aspect without contributing so much time to the story aspect when they didn't have time or felt the need. Riki's Beyond implemented similar concepts, though fell much more heavily on the story aspect. It can definitely be GM-intensive- but also potentially not. All about the implementation! Multiple GMs would be something I'd love to see more of, though- with how busy a lot of us are, having a good partner or two to keep things running can be such a huge help and make things a far better experience!

I'm really at a conflict with myself when it comes to RPing. Every now and then I get super enthused about it, and I really want to jump into one. But I have to be realistic and reign that in. I mean it when I say my household is volatile haha, like, I might have a couple good days of free time and then something will happen and I'll ghost for weeks because I can't keep on top of it, let alone pursue hobbies as well! It's... really not conducive to social activities. I already learned this the hard way with Eleanor's Together Forever RP - I really struggled to get any writing done, but couldn't explain why. And the worst thing is being the player who has to say "sorry everyone, won't be joining in on that/don't expect a post from me, life is hassling me again". All the time!

So while I can't explain exactly what type of RP would suit someone like that, I'll probably have to watch from afar until I either have the dedication to create my own, or join one that looks comfortable enough for me. ^^;
    I appreciate you knowing your limitations. Like I said before, I think that's really important! But also again I think if a true sandbox RP came up that'd be a perfect fit, and the gentle time commitments of our events might work for you too. :) I'm glad to see you here when you can be, Annie~

When you're first jumping into something with new people, it can be a little "intimidating" based purely on the lack of familiarity. What do these people want out of the experience? That sort of thing. All in all though, I don't find RP particularly intimidating beyond that first little speed bump. I'm confident in my ability to create compelling characters and narratives and I have enough experience with both text rp and ttrpg's now that it's pretty easy for me to slide into an RP and just start doing it. GMing is even easier for me and is arguably where my strengths really lie since that puts me in a place where I have a lot more control.

I think TTRPGs are a little bit more intimidating by nature because of the real-time aspect and the voice communication. But, an important word of advice to people who are curious about TTRPGs, nobody reasonable expects you to have a 100% grasp on your character in session 1 beyond their core characteristics and the general gist of their important backstory elements. This is a whole ass person you're getting into the mind of, you can't be expected to know everything minute detail about them. You've only just met them! You'll learn more about them as you play them and they will naturally grow and change from the events they experience - just like text RP... and, you know, people.

Ultimately, the best way to get passed feeling intimidated by RP is to experience it and get used to it.
    now we just have to make opportunities for people to have that experience

Ayyyyy where do I start. Roleplaying is a kind of scary activity in that it's largely cooperative rather than competitive, and the way we are geared (nature, nurture, you pick your poison) makes it idfficult sometimes to not step on other people's toes.

One of the important barriers to staying in an RP is the changes of pace, IMO. In particular for RPs that manage to last long enough, let's say more than one year, as people get older and acquire responsibilities, the spare time that could be assigned to RP competes against other spare time activities or even against time of resting itself. Sure, you don't want to leave anyone of the other players hanging, but it *will* happen if you have to tend to a family member or go to an extra meeting and the next chance of coordinating something online is ~24 hours ahead depending on timezones.
    Absolutely. I've been trying to pare down some ideas for roleplays that run for a much shorter length of time- imagine if we had stuff that people could pick up over summer holidays, or could know they'd only need to commit to it for half a year rather than a rather indefinite amount of time. Or more pick-up-and-play games, even! The best I can do right now is to make the most open and lenient world possible and work with any players that need time, even months of time, but even when I work with people to catch them up and keep them in the story- opportunities are missed, and things are skipped, and it's hard.

I can understand that. Like, I know I'd like to participate in more RPs, but not only first I'd have to find an RP I like, it'd also have an RP where I don't need to commit to write more than one post a week. At that pace, the RP would have to last months to get anywhere useful. It was ultimately the reason why I left the RP I was in, that was already 5 years old at the time (now 10): as more people joined and activity picked up, it simply was no longer possible for me to keep up in a way that allowed my characters to retain any sense of relevance.
    To be fair- these days, in this format, once a week is (somewhat unfortunately) the desperately begged for goal. So many you're suited to this era more than you think. ;P

Hey, a worldbuilding thing? If y'all ever lift something like that back up, lemme know!
    I wish I could recapture that tbh but I... am not sure I am able haha. I have ideas about worldbuilding and how to incorporate it into the RP spectrum, but it's a hard thing to pin down.

That's one of the reasons why it's difficult for me to engage at all to be honest: while I try to be consistent with my things, I do have to still pay more consistency to the things I'm being paid to. The day fanwork becomes well accepted enough and recognized that it is still, ultimately, work just like any other writing or actoring work, and we can be compensated for it, I'll be able to offer lots more consistency.
    I think that's important to recognize, yeah. The style of roleplaying we host here is, in fact, a lot of work. Joyful work, entertaining work, but work. Even under the umbrella of fanwork, it holds an odd place- who outside of your fellow cast members is reading your RP content? What recognition are you getting for your work, if you are the type to aim for such? How much time and effort is "worth it" to each individual, and how do you find a collection of people that overlap with you in terms of interest, commitment level, content ideas, etc? If you are already writing tens of thousands of words, especially in a fanfiction space, what does RP do for you that you do not already have covered?

And that's about my feedback on the issue. Like, RP in and of itself is not too intimidating, it's not too much unlike theatre back at school. It's just that it's not the kind of activity that, even in *our* circles, is properly promoted and eased into.
    And this is it, isn't it? Such a huge, huge thing. How do we bring people into this space? How do we call people to pay attention, when they see the word "roleplay" and dismiss it immediately? How to we make it known that our umbrella is broader than people think it is? How do we provide an experience and space that people unfamiliar with these concepts can ease into? We keep trying, don't we, with these talk threads and this revamp and events- but breaking out of this little corner is proving difficult. I am honestly surprised and very grateful for the engagement in this thread! It's amazing to be able to talk like this with people I don't tend to see! But how do we keep making this happen?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It can seem intimidating from afar, but with a little bit of interacting you'll find that everyone is more easy going and accommodating when it comes to post frequency and skill level than you'd figure based on just reading their posts. Shoot, I still suck at it and probably don't post often enough yet I found a RP that works for me. If you're reading this thread and wondering if you could make RP'ing work for you, if I can do it so can you.

Years
  • I know the thread's a bit old but I think it's still recent enough to post in...

Roleyplaying in general isn't very intimidating or hard to get into for me, but the way that it's done here does make me reluctant to commit to any RPs on this site. I think it's because roleplaying as it's done here feels a lot more like writing a proper story, and if I wanted to do that I could just do it on my own without the structure or limitations that roleplays tend to have. I already have, actually. The concept of Joint Posts in particular really reinforce these feelings for me. Instead of just interacting with other players as I please I need to coordinate with them way more than what should be necessary. I think it boils down to it being way higher commitment than the type of RPs I'm more comfortable with, and the community here is way too used to this kind of roleplay to try other, simpler, forms (I believe I've tried a couple of times to start short-form RPs on this site and failed), so I just never really have the motivation to try out RPing on this site.

Edit: To clarify, I'm more used to RP as a shortform, lighter activity without moderation by a GM or really long posts. Script format is also commonly done in the roleplays I've done before. Perhaps my initial experience was out of the norm, leading to a misconception of what RPing really is, but I still feel like if I wanted to write it would be easier to do so on my own, with roleplaying being a much lower commitment activity.

Last edited:

Saniccle

Professional Idiot
    Years
  • It really depends on the ✰fanciness✰ (especially if i don't know anyone)

I'm honestly gonna try and wait to find a simple one with a neat premise because I'm not used to long form stuff but I really want to get back into forum roleplaying. It just hits different compared to looking for some random discord server

Years
  • It really depends on the ✰fanciness✰ (especially if i don't know anyone)

I'm honestly gonna try and wait to find a simple one with a neat premise because I'm not used to long form stuff but I really want to get back into forum roleplaying. It just hits different compared to looking for some random discord server

You could try my new RP, Hisui Legends. It is longform but it's pretty simple and chill.

Back