• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When do you usually update your computer?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • My computer randomly did updates in what I consider my "working hours" of the day. I much prefer my computer updating after 3am, which is when I'm usually getting ready to sleep if I'm not doing something else.

So, I wondered: when do you usually like to update your computers? Or do you just let the updates go randomly when asked. I don't like it when my computer does updates when I'm awake without being prompted (because i wasn't prompted about it at all). I like it best when it asks when I'm about to shut down or when I start my computer up, it's easier than when I'm working on something.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I always get unpleasantly surprised when my computer updates because I put it off for as long as possible. I know I could just get it over with but I will often have a lot of tabs/word documents that I want to keep open for reference the next day and then I just never get around to it. Luckily it hasn't updated whilst working but sometimes I'll wake up and realise its given up on me and forced my computer to update in the middle of the night :p

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    One of the benefits of running a Linux machine is that I can decide when I install updates. I could automate it similar to how Windows does it, but don't feel the need. I usually update everything manually on Friday evenings.

Years
  • i've resigned myself to just accept the updates as they happen. i frequently shut down my pc whenever i'm out for work reasons or generally not around the house, and windows likes to do the whole "shut down/restart & update" thing, so i figured there's no real point fighting it. :c

pkmin3033

Depends. If it's a general Windows Update, usually I'll do it immediately just to get it over with. If it's a version upgrade, I wait until I'm working and won't want to use my laptop, because the wait for those to install is maddeningly long at times. I will generally wait a week or two for those as well, because it's not uncommon for bugs to be picked up in new releases like that and my laptop is my life, haha.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    That depends on how much does this UPDATE really do; If it's just critical system update, I'll let it update when I feel like it and some updates that I so regretting and REALLY want to avoid (Windows 10 H121) it's those dreaded unavoidable feature updates I'll let it update few months ago and the performance dropping drastically and yes people kinda complain about this update might be troublesome before they can release a update for it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the PATCH update for that version alone

Years
  • I just have the computer set to notify me when one is available. That way I can stay up-to-date, but also put it off until I've finished what I'm doing :)

Years
  • Mine gets updated whenever I turn it off at night. I've had too many updates in the past that totally break something random and it's taken the rest of my day (and some of the next sometimes) to fix.

One time I installed an update and firefox and chrome wouldn't launch, but edge would 🤔 Took a rollback and a partial hard drive wipe to fix the problem and I'm still not sure what could break so dramatically that every non-microsoft browser would crash on launch.

Years
  • I'll let my computer update on its own, which is usually a week after updates come out. Usually this gives me enough time to read up on if an update can break my system, and also if Microsoft decided to pull it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • If the icon on my taskbar pops up, I'll go ahead and update it when convenient, because I don't want to have to go through what happened last time...automatically restarting for updates while working on a final exam >_<

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • my laptop since i dont have it auto update on linux, it can range from once a month to once a week
    my desktop its on auto update (but not auto restart thank gosh)
    my phone, only thing updating there is apps, i dont get much OS updates there

Years
  • Conveniently it gives the option to Update and Shut Down, so what works for me is to let it do that when I'm done using my PC for the day (Around 2AM or so).

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • I update whenever I feel like it. Usually I update weekly / bi-weekly, otherwise I update when I install a new package.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Updates while awake. Prefers not to close the laptop during the process. (Automatically rammed through an update while closed after taking too long, though, so probably not a big deal.) Usually waits for a 20+ minute period when it is not in use. Forgets sometimes.

Years
  • I do run Linux as well and I do manually update once every two weeks or so. Updates are quite painful because they're very long and they tend to send the computer to overheat. On the other hand, using the computer for some light tasks in the meanwhile is pretty good as well.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I tend to update within a day or two of seeing there's an update, at least for operating systems. I hold off on graphics card drivers because they update those like twice a week and I heard FFXIV doesn't always play nice with the latest drivers. u_u So now I update that once every month or so. I don't play new games almost ever and most of the updates seem to be about optimizing whatever's come out most recently so it doesn't seem as big a deal.

Back