• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your favorite gyms/gym puzzles?

Years
  • Out of all the available gyms in the game, which are your favorites? This can be based on anything - liking the puzzle, thinking the design of the gym is good, or just liking the gym leader and their team. What's yours? <3

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Design wise I love Olympia's gym - such pretty and interesting visuals.

Puzzle wise, I do like most of the Galar gyms, they're were different than expected for the most part (Milo and Kabu). I do think some of these could have been harder or maybe having a bit more but in general I think the gyms are going in a positive direction.

Technically not gyms but special mention to the Alolan trial system. That was very creative and I low key loved them.

Years
  • This is kinda difficult now that there are 50+ options to choose from.

I think visually I like Tate and Liza's (in Ruby/Sapphire) the most. Something about the bright colours and how they popped, and zooming around the gym. In the GBA days it felt super cool to pass over/under areas like that. Emerald's version wasn't quite the same, and the fact that I can't remember ORAS' version at all worries me. I think they totally changed it to something more boring.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I have to say LGPE did spice up all the Kanto Gyms' designs but my favourite by far is the Fuchsia Gym. Going through the invisible walls was a treat for sure, but having that take place inside a traditional Japanese house/dojo with wood carvings of Poison-type Pokémon was priceless. Plus... I just really like Koga himself, as you very well know already. I do hope the potential Johto reremake retains or builds upon this design so we can also see Janine and all her lil' lookalikes in action. :D

Honorable mentions: Cinnabar Gym (LGPE) for being a laugh riot, Saffron Gym (LGPE) and Anistar Gym (X/Y) for being graphically impressive, and Stow-on-Side Gym (Sw/Sh) for being fun and cute no matter who the leader is!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Actually liked several gym challenges in Sword/Shield, upon reflection. Deviated from puzzles more than past generations. Enjoyed Stow-on-Side's pachinko-like machine. (Questions where they fit that.) Found Motostoke's catching challenge interesting with the "partner". Definitely froze during Ballonlea's "What was the trainer's name?" question (in a good way).

Remembers Raihan's battle fondly. Is a sucker for double battles. Preferred that team's cohesion to Tate and Liza's.

Years
  • Coumarine Gym is my favorite. I liked the design in there with it mostly being green, climbing up a tree, and having to swing from one vine to the next which looked like an obstacle course.

Years
  • Coumarine Gym is my favorite. I liked the design in there with it mostly being green, climbing up a tree, and having to swing from one vine to the next which looked like an obstacle course.

How could I forget this… ❤️ Lovely!

I am a huge fan of Fantina's gym in BDSP. Not for the puzzle (it's just simple math, after all), but for the gorgeous stained glass battle background. Am a sucker for pretty environments and find myself drawn to anything elegant like that.

Years
  • It changes constantly. For now Gym puzzles I remember I really like are Crasher Wake's and Norman's. For the former, it was a nice little water puzzle that wasn't too hard + I got plenty of exp. for Grotle & an Electric type on my team lol. For the latter, it was just nice to have all those trainers to grind from~ The battle styles they showed off were also pretty cool :D

Years
    • Seen today
    My favorite is Wallace/Juan. I like the ice tile puzzles and how it rewards you with letting you skip all trainers.

Sabrina's is my least favorite. I don't like warp puzzles in these games, and I wish they would just go away forever. Flannery's gym is another least favorite. It's the same idea.

I dread Byron's gym too. It's just a giant gauntlet of trainers.

My favorite aesthetically is Clair's Gym.

Years
  • Sootopolis' Gym is the first that comes to mind so I guess it's probably that.
    I'd usually just beat the puzzle in gen 3 and then let myself drop down so I can fight all the Gym trainers below in a row xD
    In the gen 6 remakes you can just walk up to all of the trainers below as the staircases below aren't iced over anymore.

It's one of the better Ice puzzles (if not the best) imo as the regular Ice sliding puzzles got kinda stale fast =p

The gen 8 Gyms for the most part are nice and different too though.

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • Gym wise - Anistar. Beautiful nighttime background where you can see constellations of Psychic Pokemon, and you walk on cosmic webs to traverse to the center of the gym. Laverre, Icirrus, and Hearthome also had great designs.

Puzzle wise - Either Veilstone, because its a gym based on an actual gym, or Icirrus, because its actually relatively difficult to traverse, unlike almost every other gym.

Team wise - Brycen. What can I say, I love Beartic and Cryo.

So taking all of this into account, I suppose the Icirrus Gym is my favorite.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I never cared for gym puzzles. I always preferred only to battle the trainers in the gym and simply just approach the gym leader afterwards. As for my favorite gym, I always enjoyed whenever I could battle Blue, mainly because he was actually challenging and not limited to using one single type.

Years
  • I like alotta of the stupider/silly gyms. Stuff like being able to just walk around the only trainers in brocks gym or not being able to battle roxie because she is jammin WAY to loudly. Aside from that i find most gym puzzles annoying or too simple. Not much a middle ground

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • I find gyms to be another thing on the checklist to complete. A checkpoint of progress, if you will. But, i will say, i LOVE Marlon's gym design in B2W2. I love the chill remix of the Gym theme that fits beautifully with the environment. Said environment is absolutely gorgeous, with the flowing water and rideable lily pads. No other Gym will be able to top that design.

As for a gimmick, i guess the invisible wall and copy Janines in Janine's Kanto gym is a nice idea. Oh, and it's absolutely hilarious during Roxie's Gym crusade when you have to shut up the other band members because they're playing too loudly. Then at the end it's just Roxie's vocals with no backup, and it's funny to hear just her voice with nothing else playing.

Back