• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has a Pokémon game ever made you cry?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
  • Was there any moment in a Pokémon game that made you put down your console to dry off some tears? If so, which? Was it a moment embedded into the game's storyline, a piece of dialogue or music, or something particular to a playthrough like a frustrating battle, a Nuzlocke death or (Arceus forbid) the loss of a save file?

Some examples:
    -That time where I believed I had softlocked myself in the Distortion World in Platinum. It was silly looking back, but I really was looking forward to meeting Giratina. Fortunately, this one had a happy ending - I solved the puzzle, caught Giratina, and as a bonus caught a shiny Psyduck not two minutes out of the Distortion World. (Nowadays, it makes me cry for a different reason - Giratina itself brings back some memories that turned sour.)
    -The tail-end of the credits sequences from G/S/C, B2/W2 and S/M due to the emotional music involved. To this day I skip over that part in the G/S/C credits in particular because the knowledge that it was going to be end of the series makes me want to cry. It also brings to mind Satoru Iwata and his involvement being what made these games so great. God bless his soul, wherever he is now.
    -The entire post-final boss sequence from X/Y. I didn't like the game itself much but oh god, anything involving AZ was an absolute gut-punch and I'm glad he at least got peace. Honorable mention to the ending theme, which actually had me bawling more than the aforementioned themes.
    -The ending of LGPE in which your partner Pokémon gives you a bouquet of flowers. That was part happy tears because Pikachu was cute, but also part sad tears because I kinda wished it had been Mimikyu. (And don't lie - you too wish it had been your favourite Pokémon!)
    -Two words: CIRCHESTER GYM. I didn't outright bawl, but I was tearing up quietly in frustration trying to figure out that goddamn puzzle. It didn't help that in the Spanish version, Melony is somewhat passive aggressive towards you as you go along. Needless to say, I have hated her and her ice puzzle since then.
    -Fangame-related moment: the first time rematching Lt. Surge in LGPE after playing Xenoverse. No further spoilers, but seeing him back to his old self again felt so good that I shed some tears of happiness. I'm now fully expecting this to happen again if I ever get to face Ingo and/or Emmet in the Unova games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    While I haven't cried, the mystery dungeon games can make me feel quite sentimental.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Gates to infinity music especially the menu.. It kind have feels and relook about your happy and sad memories all together. Remind you that you have a good time with people you loved and friends, then suddenly the world revolve over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ZvmPTiSvo

Years
  • Gates to Infinity ending, and that wasn't even a very well-regarded Mystery Dungeon game. Goodness knows how I'd have reacted if I played the rest. That might be it, definitely not a perfect story but I really liked it ❤️

Years
  • not counting any of the pmd games, because i feel like they're very easy answers here....

look, swsh as a whole has issues, but this scene and this OST really did it for me. it had me cry out of excitement (that's a thing???). in fact, my hot take is that this climactic battle was handled way better and was way more memorable than any previous pokemon games' climax was, and i think more people should give credit to that. swsh has a lot of faults for sure but if game freak did one thing right, it's this.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Ending credits to GSC. It just hits me right in the feels and I cannot help but remember everything Mr. Iwata did to contribute to Pokémon and.. hnnng.. 。゚(。ノωヽ。)゚。

Years
  • - Pokemon Diamond, not being able to defeat Lucian lol
    - PMD Explorers of Sky, the ending. It was the music, the whole setting. Cried all day lol. Wonderful game, no doubt.
    - I think I cried at PMD Red Rescue too, in the middle of the story, but also at the end.
    - Platinum, ending credits
    - AS, ending credits. The music and the final scenes, mixed with nostalgia and having actually enjoyed the whole game, made it really emotional and unique for me.
    - Also yeah me too at the SWSH final battle vs Eternatus. That part was great. I liked it story wise as well. It was also the story setting that made me more emotional. Leon doesn't manage to catch Eternatus, while us and Hop manage to call the two Legendaries and after the battle we easily manage to catch Eternatus, which is already a victory over Leon, who might have already understood that he was about to loose his title as champion. Very nice moment, loved it.

PMD is just something else, because of the music and the characters, there's an incredible immersion in the story. Some of the most emotional games I have ever played

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Pretty sure I teared up when I lost a Shiny Graveler to Explosion in Gen. IV. I'd never missed out on a Shiny before.

Fortunately, I found a Shiny Machoke minutes later.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Oh, absolutely. Pokemon has made me break out into tears. Mystery dungeon had me crying as a kid. Physically.

Some Pokemon stuff makes me extremely sad, too, and I'll fake cry, say "waah" if I can't physically when a scene does make me feel intense sadness. The stuff with Bianca was really sad, by the way.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Not in memory. Never played any of the Mystery Dungeon games, however.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I've definitely cried my eyes out when playing Pokémon Black and Pokémon White 2 because of the storyline. Pretty much any part of a sad story makes me cry.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i think its an easy answer but the ending of Explorers of Sky comes at the top of my mind when it comes to crying, its an outstanding ending.
    i could say that when i finished FRLG for this first time i was close to crying, it was the first Pokemon game i beat and it was a pretty big deal for me as a kid that i made it that far lol

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • I cried in the original Sun/Moon when Lillie left so she could go to Kanto. I tried to keep it in but i liked her so much back then that i couldn't do it. Especially when she gives you her Poke Doll. I couldn't even bring myself to listen during the credits music because i knew that would make it worse. The fact that you never see her again after that hurts even more. That's the one and only time that Pokemon has ever made me cry. However, Ultra S/M swooped in like a superhero and removed that entirely, and she stays in Alola for that game. Thank goodness for that, since now i can say the Ultra storyline is canon. I see it as an absolute win!

Am i ashamed to admit that? A little, yeah.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever cried per say, but there were few moments, when I teared up. I remember I teared up, when I found out old guy in Anistar City died.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I cried the first time after I beat Explorers of Sky, may have also cried after beating it again a few times after. I don't think I've ever cried after beating any of the main series games, though.

Back