• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: PokéCommunity Daily is hiring!

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
PokéCommunity Daily is hiring! We're looking for dedicated individuals to join the Daily writing teams. Note that you do not have to join the Daily team to write articles for Daily — but you do get a whole bunch of perks! See the frequently asked questions for more.

How the Daily team works

PokéCommunity Daily is managed by its editor-in-chief, Hiroshi Sotomura (Jake), and associate editor, bobandbill. The management oversees the quality, writing teams, and processes for Daily.

Lead writers and columnists are in charge of the articles that run in their columns and sections. Lead writers and columnists will approve ideas, make suggestions to and sign off article drafts to publish onto PokéCommunity Daily.

Writers will write articles for Daily at least once every two weeks (these requirements are flexible). They submit article ideas the same as any non-Daily staff or through the Daily staff forum. They can also directly submit articles into the editor workshop for editing and scrutiny. Once approved, they may directly publish their articles to Daily.

PokéCommunity Daily staff are responsible for writing and editing articles. All writers and lead writers may suggest edits to be made to articles submitted through the Daily writing process.

Application process

Applications are open from March 2, 2016 to March 31, 2016. We select applicants for positions based on a variety of metrics, including:

• Contributions to Daily
  • Professional qualifications
  • Article-writing experience on other websites

The Daily editors and the lead writers for the section being applied for will assess each application. While most applications will be considered after March 31, applicants may be considered prior to this date and given an offer prior.

To apply for a position, check out the positions below first — and then apply here.

Positions

The Daily team are looking for:

• Headline writers. Writers will keep track of Pokémon news and post these articles directly to Daily. These posts are exempted from the Writer's Workshop process. News posts must be overseen by an Editor or the relevant sectional editor.
  • Writer positions. These will be under direct supervision of lead editors. All writers are expected to write at least one to two articles every two weeks.
    • ROM Hacking column writer — as a ROM hacking writer, you collaborate with the ROM hacking column editor, Christos.
    • Pokémon Gaming writers — your focus is to write content surrounding the games — be it new games like Sun and Moon or old games. You may speculate on things like new features, talk about old features, write comparisons for the games, gather opinions, etc.
    • Pokémon Animé writers. You can't stop talking about the anime, can you? Write about the Pokémon anime. Writers in this team talk about the anime in general, character development, give your own opinions or gather those of others, make predictions, speculate, etc.
    • General Pokémon writers. You focus on the more general Pokemon content, towns and cities, "Blaine's facts," 'Martha's Musings," "Who's that Pokémon?" etc.
    • Competitive Battling writers. You work with others to talk about strategies. Get the goss. Talk about the big changes to the metagame. Talk about other, more interesting metagames. Prove Garchomp is an overpowered battler.
  • "From The Community" column writer. As a column writer, you provide the content by checking the web and negotiating with fanwork authors/artists for content to display on Daily. You interview well-known Pokémon fans or content contributors. You may choose to write about this content or provide it to the ROM Hacking, Gaming, Anime or General writing teams.
  • Press negotiators — America, Europe, Japan, Australia, and other relevant territories. These staff members are in charge with negotiating with Nintendo or The Pokémon Company, or other relevant entities, at press conferences (where accepted) or events (like tournaments), and provide reports on that information in which Daily staff may create articles for. This position is for expression of interest for now.
  • Artist. You'll design or draw the graphics for non-breaking news articles and longform articles. You'll be in partly of the overall design of an article (particularly longform articles) and work on feature images for most articles.

We are not currently taking applications for lead writers at this time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a position to write for Daily?
No; anyone is able to contribute articles for Daily. The positions for Daily provide you with a staff rank and access to our forum. It allows you to work with the Daily team at an official capacity, working directly with the editors to create articles.

What do I get with a position?
By joining the Daily team, you will be given a staff rank and access to our Daily staff forums, complete with username colour and rank image, as well as other PokéCommunity staff perks, including access to the VIP forums and a staff-exclusive chat forum.

Do I need a PokéCommunity Account to write for Daily?
Registration at The PokéCommunity is required for all Daily staff. If you don't have a PokéCommunity Account right now, you'll be required to create one if you get a position.

Will I be compensated for writing articles?
All contributors to PokéCommunity Daily do so on a voluntary basis. Daily Staff are not compensated for their positions. There are long-term plans to allow any article writers (not just Daily Staff) to get a share of revenues gained, but this is to be decided on at a later date.

How to apply

Fill in the application form here.

Any questions? Ask away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
Years
I would like to sign up... But I do not want to put in my real name. Is it okay if I use my real world known nickname as my "name"? Also, if I do get accepted, can I be backup to whatever position I am in? I'm always busy with my games and school. Being in High School is hard work so I can't do this daily.

Also, I can't be compensated yet until I get a credit card and a paypal. As a backup with no credit card, paypal or even a job, can my profits wait?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I would like to sign up... But I do not want to put in my real name. Is it okay if I use my real world known nickname as my "name"?
No worries there - you can supply your username/nickname in place of real name. At any rate we're not sharing details like that outside of staff.
Also, if I do get accepted, can I be backup to whatever position I am in? I'm always busy with my games and school. Being in High School is hard work so I can't do this daily.
We're rather people being able to commit - being Daily staff comes with the requirement of actively contributing. I'll remind you however that you can write articles without being part of Daily staff, you just don't get the staff perks and etc.

That said, we don't expect an article a day from staff writers! As the first post states: 'Writer positions. These will be under direct supervision of lead editors. All writers are expected to write at least one to two articles every two weeks. So that's the sort of activity we want which should be manageable - but not less than that.
Also, I can't be compensated yet until I get a credit card and a paypal. As a backup with no credit card, paypal or even a job, can my profits wait?
This isn't something you'd have to worry about for a while anyway. Also within the OP:
Will I be compensated for writing articles?
At present, all contributors to PokéCommunity Daily do so on a voluntary basis. This will continue to be the case in the short term. There are long-term plans to allow all article writers to monetize and thus receive compensation for writing articles.
Note however that these long term plans don't involve becoming rich or something one is able to live off. Not to my knowledge, anyway. =p

Years
I'm a little concerned over the compensation you mentioned. Would it be ok to ask where the funding would come from? I wouldn't approve if funds were taken from the user donations. I even have reservations if ad revenue from the forum was used as I think it should go towards maintaining the forum. I haven't noticed any ads on the Daily site yet. Hope this has come across ok! :3c

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
i am positive a lot of people will want to help you guys out! (considering all the moderator topics i seen lately haha)
go pokemon cuties!
tumblr_inline_nt09eirCVi1szb7tg_500.gif

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I am contemplating applying as an artist. But I would like to ask two questions before I decide.

1. How often will we be expected to create pictures?

2. What sort of images will we be expected to create? Can you provide some examples?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience writing for anything else. The few other sites I've applied for have all preferred experience somewhere.
Regardless, writing is my desired career field and I need to get experience in the industry somehow so I'll definitely get an application filled out.
I'll most likely start submitting articles even if I don't get a position, though~

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I am contemplating applying as an artist. But I would like to ask two questions before I decide.

1. How often will we be expected to create pictures?

2. What sort of images will we be expected to create? Can you provide some examples?
Well, the OP says that writers should make an article once every two weeks (flexible); I suppose that applies to artists as wells, since the design would most likely be for the articles. And the kind of images would be different for every article as well.
Those are pretty good questions actually and something we'll have to think on/maybe discuss further in future with successful applicants (and the workload could perhaps vary with how many we hire as well, idk).

A key point is that not every article will need art; e.g. news articles or features on things with existing images to draw on. That said, some sort of contribution similar to article writers seems sensible.

As for examples, these can vary from created-from-scratch images, to manipluating stock images, to just overlaying an image over another (e.g. cover image for this article). They can be both article cover images and images used within the article. You'll have a say on that too - coming up with ideas for what the article should use for images, how it'll be presented, and so forth.
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience writing for anything else. The few other sites I've applied for have all preferred experience somewhere.
Regardless, writing is my desired career field and I need to get experience in the industry somehow so I'll definitely get an application filled out.
I'll most likely start submitting articles even if I don't get a position, though~
Cool. I'll add that submitting article ideas and articles following approval is a good thing (not necessary, but helpful!) to do to make you stand out with your application! hint

I'm so HM02

Banned
Years
I have a fantastic writing ability, so maybe this would prove my use to the community. I love stating fun facts about anything so I would probably go for General Pokemon writers. Going to give it a shot right now.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Very well. I have submitted my application for an artist position. We will see what happens.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I'm really interested be in the spot for Pokemon Gaming Writer, but do I have concern about grammar and spelling to be in the position and I'm quite good to compare features like how differential from Gates to Super Mystery, but still I have question about no so naive in english when comes to writing.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'm really interested be in the spot for Pokemon Gaming Writer, but do I have concern about grammar and spelling to be in the position and I'm quite good to compare features like how differential from Gates to Super Mystery, but still I have question about no so naive in english when comes to writing.
All articles go through a rigorous review and editing process so don't worry if your English isn't perfect! Creating content for PC Daily is a collaborative process so you will never be on your own nor will you be harshly criticized for spelling/grammar errors. Everyone makes mistakes. Plus, you'll become a better writer out of it I'm sure! :)

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Well. that's the case. I be more glad on applying the spot.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Ok so I have submitted my application. Where can I get the response back for if I made it or not?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Ok so I have submitted my application. Where can I get the response back for if I made it or not?
We'll likely PM people individually. But we'll see how we go with it (only other feasible option is a thread just for announcing, and my personal preference is the former).

I'll note that it may be a while (we got a good number already!), and as stated in the OP: "While most applications will be considered after March 31, applicants may be considered prior to this date and given an offer prior." We'll try to be reasonably prompt with getting back to everyone following the end of the month. We may ask for more info or clarification from a couple of you beforehand as well.

Again, probably a good idea to contribute to the Daily section to further stand out too, as we'll also be considering your existing contributions! Same goes for say if you are applying for a specific writer position, e.g. rom hacking writer if you're not active in the rom hacking section.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Well I am more active in the Pokemon Fangame community maybe you should make a section for that? I used to be very into the rom hacking community but now I am into the fangame community.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I am not a writer by any means (I hate it tbh), but I do need an excuse to go to some more tournaments...

Not applying formally (don't like time restrictions), but I will continue to write when I get inspiration. And I do plan on looking at the results of any future tourneys I go to and have no issues writing about them.

BTW Artists: I will probably be needing a cover image for the "How to Battle with Ludicolo" article I have in the works. Sounds like a good peice to submit with your application y/y?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I am not a writer by any means (I hate it tbh), but I do need an excuse to go to some more tournaments...

Not applying formally (don't like time restrictions), but I will continue to write when I get inspiration. And I do plan on looking at the results of any future tourneys I go to and have no issues writing about them.

BTW Artists: I will probably be needing a cover image for the "How to Battle with Ludicolo" article I have in the works. Sounds like a good peice to submit with your application y/y?
Fair enough! Working on articles for Daily - staff writer or not - certainly is a good opportunity to improve on writing at any rate.

One week left for applications, guys! We may take more at a later time, but for now we'll close the process at the end of the month. We've got a healthy number of them already. =)

Back