• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I got my licence 12 years ago and... I haven't touched a car since. At the very least, if I ever need to, I can skip the paperwork and focus on a few retraining classes :x

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It took me forever to get my license to drive. Actually had a fully paid-off car sitting in my driveway for years before I learned to drive. I think it was my anxiety making it worse than the whole situation actually is. The written part of the test was easy for me.

The actual driving after getting the license is much easier.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I only got my license on the third try heh. Was way too nervous yeah.

Years
    What I'm worried about is my clumsiness and terrible memory. Like I could forget to put it in drive and back right into someone.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I got through the theoretical part of my drivers license tests with no issues whatsoever. No need for learning and no mistakes at all.

However, I had to take a ton of extra driving lessons because I just couldn't grasp the practical stuff at all. Somehow I managed to get through on my first attempt of a practise test, though. I still don't know how I pulled that one off. That was in 2008. I got a car in 2009 and used it up until ~2 years ago. From then on it just stood around for quite a while until recently when I finally decided to part ways with it.

I currently don't own a car and don't see a reason to get a new one.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    I got through the theoretical part of my drivers license tests with no issues whatsoever. No need for learning and no mistakes at all.

However, I had to take a ton of extra driving lessons because I just couldn't grasp the practical stuff at all. Somehow I managed to get through on my first attempt of a practise test, though. I still don't know how I pulled that one off.

This is very much me I swear ♥ my problem is that one, I still drive pretty much anywhere as I live in the countryside currently, and also, I am... a bit of a reckless driver 😑
    One of my goals for the future is to live without a car though! I think that would be better for everyone involved~

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    That relieves me a bit! I'm always like "how will know how much to turn the wheel?" and such.
    Yeah it's much more manageable once you've had a couple of lessons.

What I'm worried about is my clumsiness and terrible memory. Like I could forget to put it in drive and back right into someone.
    It's road positioning for me. Occasionally I drift towards the edge of the left hand lane instead of staying 1 metre from the kerb.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I haven't owned a car for many years now and I hope I can keep away from owning one for years to come still. It will probably get more difficult if we get kids, as we might want to be able to go places easily and quickly, and might want to purchase larger things more smoothly etc. But we'll try.

Years
    I haven't owned a car for many years now and I hope I can keep away from owning one for years to come still. It will probably get more difficult if we get kids, as we might want to be able to go places easily and quickly, and might want to purchase larger things more smoothly etc. But we'll try.

My uncle leases and says it's much easier than owning, it's always an option!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My uncle leases and says it's much easier than owning, it's always an option!
    Well yeah but also even pricier afaik, and then you'll still be a person who utilizes a car which isnt great for the environment.

Years
    Probably less costly in that you'd be using it when you need to rather than just paying either a large sum for a car and also the constant running of it.

There's also the consideration that most of Europe will be planning to move to electric cars in the next decade or so anyway, so the environmental factor won't be much of an issue then!

Years
    I only wished to offer a suggestion, though I misread the post a bit.

I live in the sticks so I need a car.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Probably less costly in that you'd be using it when you need to rather than just paying either a large sum for a car and also the constant running of it.

There's also the consideration that most of Europe will be planning to move to electric cars in the next decade or so anyway, so the environmental factor won't be much of an issue then!
    I think the production of large and many batteries required for such cars still have environmental issues, unfortunately.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Never really cared for the whole "electric cars will help save the planet" angle myself. Sure, the car itself isn't burning fossil fuels while in use, but what do you think is generating the electricity that powers the electric car?

It's fossil fuels.

The whole thing is just pushing responsibility off of the people and entities that could make the most impact (governments, corporations, the 1%) onto the people that make the lesser impact, tricking them into thinking that they're making a difference when they're really not, so the former can keep doing what it's doing while not giving a fuck about what happens.

Years
    Never really cared for the whole "electric cars will help save the planet" angle myself. Sure, the car itself isn't burning fossil fuels while in use, but what do you think is generating the electricity that powers the electric car?

It's fossil fuels.

The whole thing is just pushing responsibility off of the people and entities that could make the most impact (governments, corporations, the 1%) onto the people that make the lesser impact, tricking them into thinking that they're making a difference when they're really not, so the former can keep doing what it's doing while not giving a fuck about what happens.

Isn't the whole point literally to get to an infrastructure where fossil fuels aren't being used in the whole process?

Years
    Honestly if huge corps owned by multi billionaires weren't billowing toxic shit into the air, water, land, food, we wouldn't have this issue neatly as bad.

Back