• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I think my blood levels are dangerously low but there's a crisis in my country's hospitals...
    Wait.. low like.. in iron content or platelets or something? Or low as in your body is not producing enough blood??

Years
    Iron. My hemoglobin is normal but I go to the hospital monthly to get iron infusions but it seemingly won't budge.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The best types of dentist visits are the ones where you go to your appointment, don't need to wait for too long, get stuff checked out real quick and then get told that we'll see each other again in half a year.

pkmin3033

Can't argue with that, the cost of dental work is painful. I need to have a couple of fillings fixed - the price of not being able to go for over a year thanks to the pandemic - and I have no idea where I'm going to find the money. Glad to hear your appointment went well though!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The UK doesn't have public healthcare? I can never remember which country has and which hasn't. Except for the US because that country is just the prime example of "we don't need no health". xD

pkmin3033

It does, but NHS dental care is absolutely disgusting. When my wisdom teeth came through badly in my 20s, they wanted me to go to hospital for extractions! Knowing full well that I have a phobia of hospitals. Compare that to my private dentist who had them out within a 30 minute local appointment on the same day. Both times. Sure, I had to pay quite a bit for it, but you get what you pay for.

Outside of prescription costs, the quality of NHS healthcare matches what you would expect from a free service. I know I should be more grateful that it's there at all considering the astronomical costs of healthcare elsewhere, but...well, my experiences with the NHS in recent years haven't exactly been positive, and my private services have always treated me like an actual person. I will grumble about the cost - like I do about most things - but I'll pay it when the alternative is either to go without entirely or to engage with something that has been proven to make me feel worse.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Yeah, private insurances are kinda expected to put a little bit of effort into providing good services. I've never had private insurance but I've never had anything really serious. Although, I'm pretty sure that once the first serious matter arised things will come crashing down really badly. I'm not known for treating my body particularly well. xD

And yeah, hospitals kinda suck. There's something really isolating about them...and all the cables that are put into people. ^^"

pkmin3033

Yeah, if they don't provide a good service, then they don't get any business! I'm not insured or anything - although I think my work offers it, I've never looked into it - but generally speaking, I've always had a better service if I've paid for it. After my recent fiasco with my prescription I'd love to go private with that if I could, but buying it privately would cost me around £400 per month...compared to the £10.81 my prepayment certificates costs me on the NHS. Yeaaaah. Nope.

I've had more nightmares than I care to count about having tubes stuck into me...being confined to a bed, bored out of my mind...that horrible antiseptic smell...people around me being physically ill...yeah. I'd rather be dead. I don't care how irrational that is. There is nowhere worse than a hospital.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I was removing some of the pictures I had hanging on a wall. I had them glued up there with these removable gum things. But two of these places I ended up tearing part of the tapestry out. So now I have two small holes that I'll probably have to cover in some way so I don't need to stare at it.

Either the people who sold that stuff were lying or the people who renovated the place before I moved in did a poor job. :(

Years
    Canada is in a healthcare crisis. People are dying waiting for the ambulance or to see a doctor. Hospitals here are backed up for days and patients are being mishandled as a result but no one's doing anything.

We have neither dental nor prescription care here.

EDIT: I am so good at plastering up holes. We installed a lot of grab bars in our apartment for my step father but when we moved out, there was no sign they were there!

pkmin3033

Sometimes I wonder if the world is getting worse or if we're just more aware of it because of how easy it is for information to spread these days via social media and the internet etc.

I have never been particularly good at DIY...I can't even assemble IKEA furniture, haha. It's actually harder than some people make it out to be! Or maybe I'm just not very handy.

Years
    Build it yourself furniture is hard and not as hard bearing as desks/shelves that are whole.
    I'm using a desk that must be 40 years old, still good as new.

I think it's just that information spreads quicker. But our individualist western society doesn't help anyone.

pkmin3033

I'm trying very hard to just ignore the forecasts for this week. I went to pieces during the last heatwave and I don't think I can cope physically or mentally with a second.

Fuck summer.

Back