• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Spending a day with 36°C at work and that multiple times and never getting anything done is a good summary of what I think of this Summer. Doesn't help that Europe is trapped in a drought since at least 2018 so rain is very scarce.

Years
    Hot, but I feel like the last couple years were worse, here at least.
    It's been cloudy and/or windy regularly last several weeks, which helps tremendously.

Years
    Some fuckhead lit a fire near my house in 28 degree weather, this was on Saturday.
    Never been so nervous.

pkmin3033

Today is, I hope, the last day we'll have temperatures like this. The short, sharp heatwave we had in July made me extremely ill, but I recovered from it quickly, it was mostly just an extremely bad migraine that wore off after a good night sleep and a 10 degree drop in temperature. This time its affected my IBS, has persisted for the whole week, and honestly I don't think I could endure much more of it. I don't want to rush this month since I'm on holiday for the rest of it, but...well, the sooner summer is gone, the better. Its been horrific this year.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    We're right in the middle of yet another heat wave. I already hated Summer before heatwaves started to be a regular thing. We haven't had a proper Winter in years. It's always been way to mild. I also still prefer snow over sweating at work for days while still being forced to be productive.

Trying to sleep is so awfully unpleasant, as well. <_<

pkmin3033

tbh if I had my way it would rain all year round and the temperature would never go above 15C.

Too bad I can't afford to move to Scotland where this is a reality xD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The US has been doing a fun thing here lately where some places are experiencing historic drought while other parts get hit with historic flooding. Meanwhile in my part of the country it's seemed pretty normal I guess. Though it's probably only a matter of time before extreme weather becomes the usual here too.

Years
    I think it's actually too late at this point? I remember reading it somewhere.
    This is going to sound lame but this planet gives us everything, yet we're destroying it. ("We" here being humans in general but we all know it's multi-billion dollar companies/people.)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I read today that the artic is heating up nearly four times faster than the rest of the planet.
    Not just that. The faster the Arctic and Antarctic heat up the more ice vanishes which means that the albedo effect (heat from the outside being reflected back into space) also decreases meaning the planet heats up even quicker.

And corporations are actually aware. And they use that knowledge to figure out how they can make profit off of the Antarctic, already. <_<

pkmin3033

I suppose the attitude people have is that we'll all be long dead before things become "serious" - in the sense that it affects us on a level where it becomes personally inconvenient in how we want to live - so we don't have to care about it. Out of sight, out of mind, etc.

This is a recurring trend in human behaviour, because it also applies to the housing market, transportation, and the economy in general, amongst other things.

Years
    Too late or not, I see no point in speeding it up even if it was!

Also nature has a wonderful way of bouncing back when left alone <3

All our governments and peoples need to try harder tbh.

Years
    Not just that. The faster the Arctic and Antarctic heat up the more ice vanishes which means that the albedo effect (heat from the outside being reflected back into space) also decreases meaning the planet heats up even quicker.

And corporations are actually aware. And they use that knowledge to figure out how they can make profit off of the Antarctic, already. <_<

Absolutely, the white sea ice would reflect the sun's energy back into the atmosphere, but as it melts it becomes water, and instead the dark ocean soaks up the heat, feeding the cycle forward. I saw I think a PBS documentary once explaining how If co2 emissions continue along current trends earth is on course to be 2 1/2 to 5 degrees warmer, and oceans could be a could be a meter higher by end of century.

Yes, the oil and gasindustry knows the damage that they are doing, just like the tobacco industry knew that the cigarettes they were making gave people cancer, but tried to suppress the information and mislead people about the scientific data, so they could keep making money. In the case of the oil and gas industry Exxon Mobil's own scientists knew since at least 1970s how burning fossil fuels was affecting climate change, but poured tens of millions of dollars into groups to promote psuedo science and climate change denial, and fight regulations.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Yes, the oil and gasindustry knows the damage that they are doing, just like the tobacco industry knew that the cigarettes they were making gave people cancer, but tried to suppress the information and mislead people about the scientific data, so they could keep making money. In the case of the oil and gas industry Exxon Mobil's own scientists knew since at least 1970s how burning fossil fuels was affecting climate change, but poured tens of millions of dollars into groups to promote psuedo science and climate change denial, and fight regulations.
    Back then they just denied it but now that they can't deny climate change they instead their strategy towards blaming the consumers. Example is BP which is one of the largest petrol companies out there. During the 00s they pushed out this gigantic ad campaign where they promoted an idea they came up with known as "carbon footprint". This was supposed to divert their own guilt by basically saying "yeah, we do that. But you are the cause of it".

It's a tactic meant to demotivate people until they give up. It's at that point that people need to be reminded that while keeping a low profile is good, most of the problem is still systemic.

Years
    They care so much about money, but will money help them when the consequences show?
    You can't buy a healthy planet.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The sad part is: their money will most likely help them. As long as money gets you resources, having a lot of money will get you a lot of resources. They'll just build more convenient stuff that keeps the consequences out for long enough so they can enjoy their life. It's the others who'll have to live with the consequences. And the time when the consequences catch up to them is so far away; they'll just be dead at that point, anyway. <_<

Back