• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blind

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Have you ever played a new generation of Pokemon besides your first "blind" - that is, starting the game without knowing (or knowing very little) information about the game itself? Such as the storyline, new Pokemon, mechanics, etc.

Years
    Yes, I did it with X. I didn't know anything much about this game. Discovering things myself was so exciting.

Years
    I had looked at walkthroughs in my opening plays of Pearl, White, and White 2. As for X, part of the adventure I did on my own, I already knew about the Gym Leaders and the Champion, as well as some of the wild Pokémon that were available in later areas, but I did try to make the trainers a surprise (not that's really anything).

I'm not one to seriously care about playing these games blind.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I think the last time I went into a Pokemon game totally blind was my first time playing Ruby (which was like 10 years ago). It doesn't really bother me going into a game not blind though; I like to have some idea of what I'm getting myself into, just so long as I don't spoil it too much.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I still don't know much about BW2 so if I played one of those games I would be... well, not blind but I wouldn't know what would happen. Not even story-wise or route-wise.

Years
    Diamond & Pearl for me, because I didn't get a chance to see pics of all the 4th Gen-introduced Pokemon beforehand, only a small portion of them (the starters were obvious though) as far as looking at pics goes. The rest I discovered while playing the game, except for some cross-gen evos that I saw when I got a Diamond & Pearl Pokedex book.

It was pretty interesting discovering things in Sinnoh myself without any knowledge via the internet or a guidebook beforehand.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    As we speak, I'm trying to keep information from OR/AS out of my mind. It's a difficult task. x.x

I'm actually playing White currently with a lack of information on it. I barely know anything about the Gen 5 games, besides a few mechanics from having a little bit of play time with Black/Black 2 in the past. I also only knew about the mechanics of X/Y, like Mega Evolution and the OP Exp. Share, but I didn't know anything about the story besides Xerneas/Yveltal being an important part of it, but then again it's like that for every game. I'm not someone to play any game blind - but it's nice to be able to dive into waters you aren't familiar with yet. It's the adventure aspect.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've only gone in completely blind for gsc and rse. I was really unaware when playing through rby, but I at least knew all the Pokemon.

For X and Y I only followed along to see whatever new Pokemon they were willing to show us. I didn't look up any info on the gym leaders, e4, champion, towns/cities.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
    The only game I've not played somewhat blind was X. The others were played blind to some extent :) IMO, Pokemon isn't exactly a game that makes too much of a difference whether or not it's played blind, though it does take some of the excitement out of it.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, yeah. I started with Emerald. 4th generation, all I knew was there was a penguin pokémon. I also knew very little about Platinum - I forgot to get it when it first came out, got it two months later. Buying LeafGreen midway through Gen IV, I knew very little about what to expect apart from the original 151 too. HeartGold/SoulSilver I knew way too much, Black I knew a bit but less because of the whole HgSs thing. I don't know that much about Black 2, but I'll be going into XY as blind as is possible whilst being an internet user, if I decide to get them.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
    I try to gather information about the pokemon available for capture before I start a game, but I don't mind playing blind with regards to other information. Most of the time though, it feels as though my first time playing is "blind", and I usually replay the game for a second time anyway, just because I already know about the additional surprises.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    For me, my first blind run other than that of the first installments which I played was that of Ruby and Sapphire back in 2004. It was hard making a team at first but when I got further ahead in the game, my efforts paid off.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For generation one and two--I didn't look up any information at all, as I was too young back then and parents didn't allow me to use computer much. Only time I was allowed is when homework required me, and aside from that, I was also given a couple of hours every weekend to play some game--nothing else. Third gen games--I did try searching for some things, but that was after I'd gotten a hold of them and not prior, so it doesn't exactly count. Thing I was searching for was some guide to encountering those Regi. It worked, but took me a while. A decent while.

As for fourth generation, I haven't looked up any news or spoilers on it at all, and tried avoiding them as much as I possibly could. Did run into a thing or two accidentally, but those weren't too extraordinary; didn't ruin much things for me. When playing, I've had a lot of fun, and felt like as if I were experiencing something completely new, just as they wanted most fans to. For gens five and six, I wasn't able to dodge anything, sadly (I was extremely involved, rather), but still had fun playing.

Avoiding things like this could be pretty tough for me, but I still try every once in a while.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I think with the exceptions of X and Black, I've played every Pokemon game blind. For games in general, I usually do my research and look stuff up about the game if I'm unsure about it or don't know if I'll enjoy it, but I'm pretty familiar with the formula of Pokemon games and I always know I will like it, so I usually don't need to do any research on it.

Years
    Almost every game.

Pokemon Emerald - fully blindly played. I didnt know the story, Pokemon, I didntz even know what graphics looked like. It was awesome.

Pokemon Crystal, Yellow, Firered I didnt know much about the story, I knew most stuff about Pokemon though. Good thing is I already forgot some stuff about those game, which is great cos I am planning to play Soulsilver for the first time and I'm really looking forward to it :D

Pokemon Platinum I knew nothing about the story, knew little about Pokemon.

I know nothing about the story in White/Black /1/2, and X/Y, and I know very little about Gen 5 Pokemon, so I am sure Pokemon White I have will be awesome! :D

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Other than my first Pokemon game, I haven't played a game without knowing everything about it. Whenever new games are announced, I like to know exactly what's going to appear and all of the new Pokemon. I try to stay away, but it never works. I just like knowing!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I think I played Red and Gold blind. I got Red later than most of my friends, and I guess I had seen their games in passing, but I essentially knew nothing about Pokemon aside from what was in the instruction manual. I recall getting stuck in Mt. Moon, the Seafoam Islands, and Victory Road, though I eventually triumphed over the Elite Four. I got Gold pretty much at release, and was the first person I knew who owned it, and I don't recall knowing a whole lot about it other than that it was another Pokemon game. I was really surprised to discover that I could return to Kanto and eventually challenge Red.

Since then, I've generally known about games before playing them. I heard a fair amount about R/S going into the games, since then, I've followed new material fairly closely. Given how much I rely on the Internet these days, I think I would have a hard time recreating the feeling of unknown that used to surround new games, as I would have to stay away from all Pokemon sites for extensive periods in order to do so. Pokemon isn't really about the unknown for me anymore; it's about nostalgia, and reliving my old adventures in new regions.

Years
    Back in my early days of Pokemon I played Emerald and Crystal blind. That was when I didn't really know about walkthroughs on the internet and stuff like that. It was really awesome exploring new regions without knowing anything about it. But then I discovered Marriland and started watching all of his playthroughs and after that I pretty much knew most of the stuff in the games from Gen 4 onwards although i never finished watching the playthrough before I brought the game.

Back