• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you speak any other languages?

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    I can say "excuse me please" in French followed by "Thank you" in Spanish. Does that count?

Years
  • The only one I'm fluent in is English.

I can understand a small bit of French though, and for some unfathomable reason I decided I would (slowly) teach myself Esperanto because I can, so I can read/write a bit of that as well...someday I'll move on to learning a more practical language. I'm just not sure which one.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    I'm only fluent in english, but I'm studying spanish at school and I'm pretty good at that I guess. Not too confident i'll be able to hold an actual conversation though =/

Years
  • Did you use Keeleklikk? I tried learning it with that. It probably would have worked out better if I had actually stuck to it...

I can't speak any language other than English, though I did attempt French in my first year of high school for a semester and ended up coming last in my class. I would like to attempt to learn one, though, such as Italian.

What's keeleklikk? Is that an app? Did it exist back in 2010 when I made my attempt? xD

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Spaniard here, started studying English at school when I was 5 and did pretty well at it. I'm trying to learn some Catalan nowadays- I have been used to hearing and understanding it but never bothered to study the grammar.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I can only speak English fluently and I have a very basic understanding of French leftover from my A Levels. Overall the answer is no :D

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • My native language is Flemish (West-Flemish to be more specific). It's a Dutch dialect. My mom usually spoke formal Dutch to me as well when I was little cause she thought it was mandatory that we knew both so I can speak that.

I started learning English since I was 7 (well the basics like simple words and forming sentences).

I've also had French at school for 9 years since it's my country's 2nd language. Despite that I'm terrible at it for someone who had it for so long. I can usually understand what it's about when people are speaking French and I can speak it a little bit, but it's not like I ever mastered the language. I never put effort in it since it never interested me nor do I like the language itself.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • All I really know is Canadian French + a bit of Spanish. S: Can probably hold a discussion in French though. English is my main language! Really wanna study Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish more. All really intriguing languages, but Russian's probably the most fascinating to me hehe.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ibland talar jag svenska, för det är liksom det man snackar här, but most often I speak English. At work, with my international colleagues, in my spare time with my online buddies and at night with my boyfriend. I've even accidentally spoken English with Swedish people sometimes. Scary. PC, it's mostly your fault.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • What's keeleklikk? Is that an app? Did it exist back in 2010 when I made my attempt? xD
    I'm supposing she's talking about the e-course, not sure.

Languages known, well English & Hindi (the major Official Languages of India).

Apart from that, I was forced to learn French & Spanish, coz my first job required me to. Spanish, too tough, gave up. Did manage to learn some basic French though.

I've tried to speak more and more in French but I translate things too literally and I end up mangling what I want to say :c
    Same with me, I mean I can have a conversation in French, but don't expect me to be too precise :P. Also its been a while since I left that job, so not had a chance to speak in French with anyone ever since.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • I can only speak English tbh, when I was doing my GCSEs I had a pretty good understanding of French but that was over a year ago now and I've pretty much forgotten all of it.

I somehow had a conversation with a lady in Italy though by using the basics.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    According to Duolingo, I'm 5% fluent en Francais. Soooo.....no. I only speak English fluently, but know enough French to survive in a Francophone country. I took 2 years of it in high school and studied it on and off in college, then took a year of Spanish. Tbh, I should have just continued with French all through college, but what's done is done I suppose.

It's fun being able to pick out phrases and words, but I'd love to hold conversations one day in both Arabic and French. I had finally gotten down the Arabic alphabet and was getting better at pronouncing/reading, but then I got busy x__x I wish I had more time to dedicate to languages, I find them so interesting.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2016
    English is my native language but I took 2-3 years of french in school, but last year I had to drop it. I'm not that good at it despite getting high grades in french and part of my family being french-Canadian.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • My first language is Bangla, but I'm almost equally comfortable with English.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    i dont speak german but i can if u like

Sadly, I can only speak English fluently.

Growing up, I was surrounded with half the people in my family being able to communicate in Spanish, and the other half always watching Hindi based movies. So I can understand both languages to a certain extent, though I do wish I could be able to hold up a conversation myself. Plus both my stepmom's side of the family and my bf are Mexican and I WANNA UNDERSTAND THEM

Back