• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Covid 19

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    So far the 'rona has only brought me blessings. I'm working less and getting paid the same, I'm getting the freshest/fastest Chinese food of my life, and there's barely anyone on the road when I'm driving. The one flaw has been the amount of people when I'm grocery shopping/stores closing early so I have to go in the morning rather than at night BUT its barely a flaw in comparison

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I think that part of the good stuff that comes from living in the nowhere land of Chile is that when stuff like this happens, stuff isn't as horrible as in Santiago or other cities. I personally am doing perfectly fine without going outside much, what worries me is the economy drop Chile's gonna have after this because the pandemic came in the worst possible time for the country.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • My work opens back up this Friday and I'm quite terrified. I have a mask and everything so I'm prepared, but I work in retail at a thrift store and I just know the moment we open back up, regulars and other customers will start flocking here since they have nothing else to do and I'll be at a huge risk.

Years
  • My work opens back up this Friday and I'm quite terrified. I have a mask and everything so I'm prepared, but I work in retail at a thrift store and I just know the moment we open back up, regulars and other customers will start flocking here since they have nothing else to do and I'll be at a huge risk.
    Hopefully you don't get the virus, but I hope people will atleast try to practice social distancing at the thrift store you work at.

Social Distancing should be a thing to keep in mind for a good while.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Community quarantine here was supposed to be until the 30th, but then they extended it again. Seems some areas will be free soon, though, so I think it's a good sign.

Years
  • my friend's mom has been on a ventilator for over 3 weeks now, and her oxygen hasn't improved yet. it's gotten to the point where continuing use of the machine is a risk to her life and nurses are already telling her family to get ready for an arranged meeting to see her one last time. such a horrible feeling...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I was a little hush hush about it, but I can finally say that I recently recovered from corona.

It was a rough couple of weeks, but thankfully my case was mild. Out of all of us here in the household my dad did not do so well as he had to go through some therapy to bring his oxygen levels back to normal. He's okay now.

Corona can really trick you. One day you feel fine, the next day you're basically confined in bed because your muscles are paralyzed and have a 102* fever. I even lost my smell. It recently came back yesterday, so I can finally smell my own perfume. lol. Just recently all of my normal energy, including my craving for alcohol has returned. Man, I missed that feeling.

Take care of yourselves, y'all.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Is it the USA that people are going back to work? I hope you will all be alright!
    A lot of the states have started to re-open yeah. They probably shouldn't be, but that's the US for ya.

Years
  • I am worried about most people going back to work right now in the USA too. I know it's hard on a lot us financially and emotionally to stay at home like this for so long, but just looking at the numbers of Coronavirus cases I think it is better to err on the side of caution. We are nearing 75,000 deaths in the states. Over a million people have gotten Covid, and it's likely worse than even those statistics.

There was last month a test sampling for antibodies on customers in various groceries stores around New York. 3,000 random people were studied, and lots of them tested positive who didn't even know that they were sick. The thing that is so insidious about COVID19 is the long gestation period. The symptoms don't show immediately, so you carry on doing what you have to do each day without realizing you are infected, and by the time symptoms do surface you could have spread the disease to others. Some people are also asymptomatic, and carry it without ever knowing but are still able to pass it to others. The unnerving thing about that study is that the results suggested as much as 20% of the population of New York might actually be infected. It isn't all bad news in the study, because some of these people could be immune, so while the disease might be even more infectious than we thought it might also not have as high of a mortality rate than we thought. We just don't everything about this virus yet.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-antibody-test-results-new-york-test.html

New York in isn't one of the states that has ended the quarantine, and I think that is as it should be since it is so bad there right now, but the the vast majority of states have been at least partially re-opened by their governors or will re-open soon. The reason this is concerning is to me is that these states are aren't opening up because they are all low risk. The number of cases of covid are not going down throughout most of the country, the amount of cases are still about the same, and the cases in many states are actually rising according to the data available. Some of the states that have re-opened for business or are getting ready to re-open are Maryland, Oklahoma, Maine, New Hampshire, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska and my home state of North Carolina, and all of these states have seen growth in the amount of Coronavirus cases, not reduction.

Here are the states that are trying to run like they normally would.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

But here are the numbers of covid cases reported in each state.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The two are often not aligning.

We are just rushing the economy re-opened for the money whether things look better or not, and it could make many more people sick and set us backward on the road to recovery rather than moving us forward. I am praying for us all to make it through this terrible time.

Years
  • my mom's job will be working from home until at least may 31, fortunately. dad meanwhile goes back to work on sunday (he was on a two-week vacation), since he's an essential worker (city bus driver).

meanwhile my friend lost her mom today. she was on a ventilator for over a month and they couldn't keep her on it anymore due to excessive damage to her lungs. passed 20 minutes after she was taken off of it, and two days before mother's day too..it's heartbreaking...

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    Been having coughing fits since March, and I haven't actually seen a doctor yet. Most of the time in my case it's because of spring allergies or sinus but I really am not certain about anything anymore. None of my family is sick sick at this time, but I still have a bit to fear. I at least socially distance myself from others on a daily basis but I have folks who don't do this and I'm worried about them and the people they interact with.

Years
  • Well, every cloud has a silver lining. Carbon emissions have dramatically fallen since the lockdown, so that's a touch of good news for the environment at least. So far this year our greenhouse gas output across the word was reduced by 17% according to recent studies. Whereas over the last decade we had seen an increase in Co2 emissions by 1% each year by comparison. That's amazing.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/study-covid-19-shutdowns-cut-greenhouse-gas-emissions-17

Maybe this challenging time could become an opportunity for us as a people to re-evaluate what we truly need to get by on everyday, and where there is more room to conserve than we may have guessed. Do we have to drive daily? If so do we have to make as many different stops as we may have casually done before? Some weekends we can stay at home, and find sources of entertainment right under our nose rather than heading out to the beauty salon, movie theater, mall or a restaurant every Friday or Saturday night. I am gardening, trying out new cooking recipes, and reading more than I did before the economy shut down. School and jobs online could also become better assimilated into the society. I have a glimmer of hope at least.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    As nice as it would be for some positive change to come from this pandemic, all I really expect right now is that for the most part things are pretty much going to go back to exactly how they were before covid.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I really hope that, at the very least, that after this pandemic is over, we don't go back to using greenhouse gasses and raising carbon emission again. Co2 emission being down 17% is truly one of the very few good things that's come out of this pandemic.

Years
  • i know this has been going on for months but it's kinda sad scrolling through posts from march, april, may and here we still are locked inside our homes.
    i'm working from home so fortunately i can busy my mind with other things.
    my biggest challenge right now is looking like a disheveled caveman. yesterday i gave up on the barbers and walked about the city in search for a pair of hair buzzers.... all... sold... out!!

but i understand that's a small problem to have, and i hope the people around the globe can go back to normal soon<33
    stay safe my pokepeople

Years
  • my main inconvenience about not being able to go outside and do my usual things is not being able to go to the cosmetologist :( i have a little bit of acne i want cleaned, and she also works on my eyebrows which i don't want to do myself at home in fear of messing up. i'll trim around ever so slightly but not too much haha. hopefully i'll be able to go see her one more time before i fly off to travel for another half year.

Years
  • Two months in and I think we can finally see the start of return to normal life in here the UK next month - hopefully! We have the second highest death toll in the world and have been badly hit by it, but I'm fortunate to say after moving back to my home town for lockdown (a small town in the countryside) I've not really been affected by it too much. I've walked our dog everyday and kept exercising, and with video games and assignments due there's always something to keep me occupied for now.

The hardest thing has definitely not being able to see my girlfriend or family for like 10 weeks, that's been pretty tough for sure :( just hoping there's some light at the end of the tunnel next month! Hope everyone is safe and well :)

Years
  • Covid has turned so many lives upside down. My dad is a college professor. Because of the pandemic he had to finish teaching the semester online after the campus was evacuated. My dad is a really extraverted and animated fellow person. He talks a mile a minute and can't resist a joke. The more people the merrier. Being in a classroom is like an actor being on stage for him. He is coping with the technical aspects of holding class exclusively online, but really misses the social interaction.

This fall the college campus will open back up. He is cynical about it. He knows how the game goes, and that schools make more money when people are physically in attendance then they do online. Students pay for room for room and board, meals, and use facilities there like the laundry, vending machine, book stores. He is worried about everyone going back to normal next school year. He is a senior citizen, and is considered to be a high risk individual, he has a series of other chronic medical conditions he is dealing with. He still likes teaching, but he is legitimately concerned about his health if he is exposed to the virus in the classroom.

He is seriously considering retiring because teaching always online isn't the same to him, he doesn't feel inspired, and he also doesn't want to increase his chances of exposure by teaching on campus. It could be life-threatening. He texted me, asking what I thought of the situation, asking for my opinion. I honestly just want him to be happy and safe.

If he retires he will be in a financially comfortable situation, so he doesn't have to keep working just to pay the bills. He has years worth of savings he put aside for the day of his retirement, he owns his house, he has no debts, he has a nice-sized pension awaiting him and will collect social security. So he's okay if he retires. He teaches not because he has to, but because he likes it.

I'm worried about him teaching on campus too, and don't want him to get sick. I would prefer he stay home, but I do have some reservations about him retiring permanently because I know how he loves what he does. I don't want the fire to go out of him, and think he might get bored or depressed if he stops working. He is a passionate, high energy man.

I'll support him no matter what he decides, but this is what I texted him back. I hope it makes sense.

Spoiler:

Back