• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have a favorite status effect?

Years
    most used for me in trainer battles is definitely sleep. i like incapacitating opponents without harm to my own mons hehe. poison would be a close second, esp if i decide to teach someone toxic on my team. if it's wild battles, most definitely it's gonna be either sleep/paralysis, whichever one i readily have available to lower the catch rate.

least used? freeze. i don't think there's a move that can guarantee a freeze a la Thunder Wave, Will-o-wisp, Hypnosis, etc. and i almost never have a member on my team that can learn ice moves anyway so yeah.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    The status condition I use most in trainer battles is Paralysis, followed by "harsh" Poison (like with Toxic). Paralysis offers some nifty speed control and Poison is good for residual damage, and I don't use Burns often as Intimidate is a somewhat common ability. Most of the time, however, the status conditions I end up actually using are determined by what Pokemon I have on my team.

Years
    The status condition I use most in trainer battles is Paralysis, followed by "harsh" Poison (like with Toxic). Paralysis offers some nifty speed control and Poison is good for residual damage, and I don't use Burns often as Intimidate is a somewhat common ability. Most of the time, however, the status conditions I end up actually using are determined by what Pokemon I have on my team.

wait, i always thought that burn lowers your attack by like -3 or something, since everyone says it halves it, and the maximum amount a stat goes down in 6...

but anyways, i also wish there was a "harsh" burn, but it might make Toxic obsolete and tbh would be sorta overpowered.

btw @Sheep, are confusion and infatuation considered status effects?

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    I sometimes like to use Confuse Ray, even though it hardly ever does anything for me. A lot of times Status Effect moves are too inaccurate like Hypnosis, or are too risky like Swagger/Flatter

Years
    • Seen today
    I like to paralyze. Sometimes it nets lots of free turns and I like the massive speed drop.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I like status conditions that are reliable, stay, and rely on luck the least. So I'd say poison, and paralysis if used on faster opponents (so even if they never get fully paralyzed it's still worth it for the speed cut). Burn is also nice but the most reliable (non-legendary exclusive) burning move is Will-o-Wisp with 75 accuracy.

I hate depending on RNG much so I don't go for sleep or confusion unless I have no better alternatives.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    unless something new was introduced and i missed it, there are still no moves that just freeze the opponent. there are moves where it's a secondary effect, but none that are just for freezing. i mean it would probably be broken af but just an interesting thing i noticed.

Years
    Sleep for me I always have a pokemon on my squad with a move to put the opponent to sleep

I would say confusion would be the one I hate the most especially if one of my pokemon get confused

Years
    unless something new was introduced and i missed it, there are still no moves that just freeze the opponent. there are moves where it's a secondary effect, but none that are just for freezing. i mean it would probably be broken af but just an interesting thing i noticed.

they had the perfect chance to introduce something like this in Gen 5 via Kyurem. would've probably made him join Mega Rayquaza in the "too strong for Uber" tier, but still would've been fun to see such a broken move.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I love watching a confused opponent hit itself in confusion, it's great to see. Also, I love using Poison when applicable. It makes early battles in the game easier.

pkmin3033

I have been infuriated by status effects one too many times over the years to really get any pleasure out of using them myself...especially things like Sleep, which NEVER hit for me and ALWAYS hit for the opponent. Goddamned cheating AI...

Anyways. I use Paralysis for catching Legendaries precisely because Sleep is so unreliable, but otherwise that's about it.

Years
    Dawn pretty much said what I was about to post!

I do use paralysis a lot for catching wild pokemon and sleep too if I have something with spore available!

Years
    I have been infuriated by status effects one too many times over the years to really get any pleasure out of using them myself...especially things like Sleep, which NEVER hit for me and ALWAYS hit for the opponent. Goddamned cheating AI...

Anyways. I use Paralysis for catching Legendaries precisely because Sleep is so unreliable, but otherwise that's about it.

mmm yes don't u just love it when legendaries wake up after literally one turn. christ...

adding to the thread, ionno if Ghost type Curse is considered a status effect, but i remember using it as a tactic back a couple times in the day when the opponent was down to just one mon and i wanted to troll. imagine adding Toxic damage + weather damage + Fire Spin (or similar moves) damage + Ingrain damage to that...

... sorry my mind went wandering.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Call me the Yellow Wizard because I'm rocking that Yellow Magic. Thunder Wave and paralysis are just very convenient a lot of the time.

If not that, Toxic.

I almost never use Freeze though, it's very hard to pull off (with good reason) so it just falls off the wayside, I guess.

Years
    I like the burn effect a lot because you can use it to make your team stronger as well as weaken your opponent. Flame Orb, Guts, Switcheroo, Facade Obstagoon is freaking delicious! Switcheroo Flame Orb onto a physical attacker and get a Guts boosted Knock Off on the impending switch, that feels quite nice.

Back