• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Does legends of Arceus have terrible graphics?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I heard that legends of Arceus have terrible
    Graphics/ gameplay. Is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Well, all things considered, my answer is not at all.
    First of all, there is a big difference between graphics and gameplay.

About the graphics, yes I can agree that it's not one of the best ones and it's probably not good compared to a lot of other games. But, it's still a Pokémon game. Considering this, comparing PLA to the other Switch games, excluding Scarlet/Violet because they are newer, it looks better in my opinion. Pokémon games are not particularly great for the graphics, so I would say this wouldn't be only about PLA, but about the Switch games in general.

About the gameplay, I feel like it was one of the best in the entire franchise. It's different, fresh and new. This doesn't mean it's perfect, but it's indeed a sweet alternative to the other main line games. It's not for everyone, this is sure. It is about completing, exploring, there are "boss fights". It's a new vision of the usual Pokemon game experience and I like that. It can be boring for some people, I guess. So, as I said before, it's probably not for everyone, but I would never say the gameplay is terrible.

Years
  • No, it's just different. Them being different doesn't mean it's terrible.

The graphics are a completely different style. I kinda like it myself, though it surely won't be everyone's cup of tea.

The gameplay is completely different too and unlike any other Pokemon game. I like the core of it myself, but they really need to make a lot of the research tasks less grindy.
    But hey, doing every single research task isn't even necessary to complete the game anyway.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Bad graphics is a kind of subjective thing really, depends on what you're into and what your standards are.

Usually for me what is a negative point for graphics in a game is like:
    -an art style I'm not into
    -stuttering frame-rate or one that dramatically slows down at points
    -poor animations
    -tiny text size

While stuff like it not being hyper-realistic texture bonkers ass resolution 4k 1080p 120fps whatever the fuck number shit it is that people are into isn't something I care a whole lot about.

So I don't find PLA's graphics completely terrible myself, though it does partially tick one of my boxes.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • The most I'd ever complain would be how sometimes mons from afar would randomly drop to a ridiculously small fps.

Other than that, I don't care the slightest. I never cared about video game graphics, and will never understand the massive fuss about it. A game can have disastrous graphics but excellent gameplay and I'll have fun. Sure good graphics would be nice, but other than that I just do not care at all about video game graphics.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    I like the graphics of PLA. The only thing that bothers me are white lines around my character in caves. But maybe this is just a Switch Lite thing. I don't know if it happens on the regular Switch.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen yesterday
    Aside from their different artstyles, I've never noticed much of a graphical difference between PLA and BoTW.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i really dont think the graphics are bad, i mean, the graphics in pokemon werent something thats a huge deal for me or something that i care a lot, and maybe because the graphics have to be a bit compressed in order to fit the handhelds, its why some people hate it, i honestly think it looks more appealing than a lot of ultra realistic 4k games tbh

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think the landscape probably looks better than SwSh, but the main focus of a Pokémon is (shock) the Pokémon.
    They look awesome. Actually making 242 of them interact with the environments and use all their attacks must be a real challenge and although they're limited it's a far cry from Rillaboom standing still using a drum for everything!
    I also don't have any AAA games for reference as the last semi-open world games I played were Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Rogue. Obviously the people will look less real, but I think it might be equal on the landscapes and buildings. Like I said though, the main focus is the creatures and so far I haven't been disappointed until SwSh which has some undoubtedly cool animations, but also some really illogical and lazy-seeming ones.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I like the general rustic historical vibe of the game. It's so different from the flashy, performance-based feel of SwSh, which can sometimes feel a bit annoying and jarring having to wait through dynamix animations and all these animations happening at the same time. I like how Legends Arceus was a bit more subdued in terms of its flashiness and colorfulness, and definitely appreciated how the cutscenes (Boss Pokemon, Giratina cutscene, and Arceus cutscene) were more impactful than whatever was going on in SwSh.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • As a Pokémon player that has been playing the previous generations of Pokémon games for a long time, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, or any Pokémon game for that matter on the Nintendo Switch does not have terrible graphics to me. When you compare Pokémon games from the first generation to the current generation, Pokémon has come a long way regarding its graphics and overall presentation. Pokémon looks better than it ever has and it is constantly improving every generation. Additionally, I was never a player that played Pokémon for the graphics anyway. While I do believe that graphics are important to some degree, ultimately, gameplay is more important than graphics. Pokémon games also don't have to compare to other games with powerful graphics to be great in my opinion because, if you ask me, they are already great on their own.

Years
  • Definitely wouldn't say so! Sure they're not perfect and there are some nitpicks, but I found them decent. The game has a darker feel and the graphics/color palette choices fit that well. It is honestly a really fun game overall so I definitely would give it a try and not let the not-so-perfect graphics deter you imo.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Not really? I don't think the graphics are terrible. They're pretty good, for what it's worth. Definitely better LGPE, but tbh, I don't care about graphics. It's the least of my concern when I play a Pokemon game, as long as they're presentable, I don't care if they're "terrible", or whatever.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I don't think the graphics were bad at all for Arceus. They were perfectly fine and enjoyable. The gameplay was a great change.

Years
  • They don't look TERRIBLE, but they don't look great either. I'd give them like a 4/10 in the graphics department. Haven't played them so I can't comment on the gameplay but apparently it's pretty good.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen yesterday
    I thought they looked pretty good. The cel-shading is certainly something I would like to see in future games.

Back