• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dynamax, Z-power, or Mega Evolution ?

Dynamax, Z-power, or Mega Evolution

• Dynamax

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Z-power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mega Evolution

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Equal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
Years
  • Which of these 3 is your favourite right now?

Years
  • I never understood the concept of Z-moves, & Dynamax is just ripping off Power Rangers' "make my monster growww!".

Constantly wishing they made Mega Evolutions a staple in the main series. Hate seeing it abandoned...

Years
  • Yeah mega evolution takes this for me, I actually really liked the concept of giving Pokemon different typings, abilities and 'forms' through this mechanic. Plus, they really pandered to the notalgic, fan-favourite Pokemon, which always gets me - still bummed about no Mega Flygon though :(

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I like both Z-Moves and Dynamax a lot. Z-Moves are a big one time powerful move. Always been fond of that. Dyanamax is cool because you have to strategise when's the best time to use it. I found myself using Dynamax a lot during my SW/SH playthrough...although, tbh, I always have, and always will, hate Mega Evolution. I've found Mega Evolution stupid since the beginning. Pokemon don't even like it! Some are in constant pain when in Mega Evolution. Why would I like something like that?

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • I agree about the good of Mega Evolution and it's ridiculous it went out as a one time generational thing. It's worse for the fact it made pokemon otherwise almost unusable, great, and gave many people new favorites. Another reason I'm still playing SMUSUM.

pkmin3033

Mega Evolution is the best executed of the three I think, as it makes significant changes to the Pokemon that are able to undergo it. Dynamax is basically just Mega Evolution again only with a few caveats - that every Pokemon can do it doesn't really matter when only a handful get any kind of aesthetic change - and Z-Moves had irritatingly lengthy animation sequences that were awful for the vast majority of Pokemon because their models didn't actually move.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Mega Evolution is the best executed of the three I think, as it makes significant changes to the Pokemon that are able to undergo it. Dynamax is basically just Mega Evolution again only with a few caveats - that every Pokemon can do it doesn't really matter when only a handful get any kind of aesthetic change - and Z-Moves had irritatingly lengthy animation sequences that were awful for the vast majority of Pokemon because their models didn't actually move.

Exactly. I just hit the Fighting Z-Move with Kommo-O and he essentially stands there with cartoon asskick graphics. Tired of this 90s Nintendo animation , behind the times style lmao.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I don't like any, but I gotta agree with Mega Evolution being the best executed one. My only problem with it was that it was given to some Pokémon that didn't need it at all (Tyranitar, Garchomp, Salamence, Metagross, Blaziken). It should've been given to more Pokémon like Mawile.

Years
  • While it's nice that some older Pokemon got an update with Dynamax/Gigantamax and Mega Evolution forms, the temporary form changes feel very Digimonesque to me. Z-Moves could've been implemented in a better way, but the idea of giving a Pokemon a special item to hold that gives them the opportunity to use a super attack one time per battle is a fun concept, and adds a fun element to a battle without changing the Pokemon themselves.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Mega Evolution. I do like Dynamaxing but when you're playing competitively it's too hard to predict who they're gonna Dyanmax, plus half the time I forget the feature is there. Z-moves never really clicked with he and I don't think I used them more than 10 times in Gen VII so I'm not a fan. Mega Evolution at least can be predicted as there's only a select amount of Pokemon that can use it, plus it gave life to some much forgotten Pokemon and improved a tonne. The new designs were great, too!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I for sure agree with Mega Evolution! I love the concept of unlocking power like that through bonds with your Pokémon. It makes for great writing tbh and I am... a writer haha. I wish it was better enforced (in the games, primarily) that trainers had to have a bond with their Pokémon to be able to Mega-Evolve. Woulda been a great thing to implement with Pokémon Amie, yes?

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    Dynamax is just like Z-move and Mega Evolution Combined........But I'm team Mega Evolution

Bulky Ledian

Banned
    Years
  • Megas were a grab bag, some fun and some revolting.
    Z-moves could have been fun, but using them as a one-off nuke was a bit too effective and just shoved all the neater status Zs away.
    Dynamax is legitimately the worst mechanic I've seen in a RPG.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • megas are the best no contest tbh. the others are clearly just trying to recapture the same concept in a worse way which is like... why? people would have totally accepted them making megas a main feature of multiple generations instead of shoving them to the postgame and adding a redundant mechanic

also sm/usum were the only games where i actually turned off battle animations and it was because of how long and repetitive the z-move animations are. can we just get a skip button for super long battle animations/sequences

Years
  • z-moves are alright. don't really care much for them though and the animations for them were.... questionable, to say the least. i don't like how static the models looked while performing the Z-moves, it really ruined a lot of them for me.

dynamax/gigantamax i've enjoyed a lot more than z-moves, surprisingly enough! maybe it's because there's a sort of strategy to dynamaxing whereas Z-moves is just kind of a one-time nuke then and there. with dynamaxing i have to choose my moves very carefully as those three turns matter and can outright decide a match one way or another.

gotta agree with dakota above though in that megas were the most enjoyable for me. both on a practical level and on a design level. it's hard to argue against a mechanic that was given to under-utilised pokemon like absol, ampharos, mawile etc. such a shame Game Freak did away with it. .__.

Years
    • Online now
    Mega Evolution. It gave so many forgotten Pokemon relevance.

I found it almost impossible to play competitively with z-moves. In game it's fun.

Dynamax is just boring to me.

Back