• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

f0rum L4ngu4ag3

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    How do you talk on a forums? Do you check your grammar obsessively, write essays for every post, or do you try to simulate spoken language ? And how do you feel about using text emoticons to liven up the sentence :3 Are you okay with a casual haha at the end of a sentence, or do you dislike it? Tell me all about it.

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • I don't check my spelling or typos as often as I should, honestly...sometimes I use emoticons and a Lol, but not as much as I did when I was younger

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    I'll try my best to write with proper grammar because I find it to be a good way to teach myself English as I steadily improve my writing over time. I don't check for errors that I don't notice at first glance though.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I just write what ever comes to mind. I do focus some on grammar and such. I also make sure that I don't have any misspelled words. However, ten years ago, I didn't care how I typed... and it was so awful. I'm glad that I was able to learn how to type better than what I did back then. Plus, I'm also a writer... so my typing skills are really advanced compared to what I go through on an everyday basis.

Years
  • I'll stick with using proper grammar, thanks. :P

On a serious note, I do try my best to be proper with my grammar and spelling on message boards, simply because they're not as laid back as texts or chatrooms. When it comes to texts and IMs, I'm less formal with those.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I'm a perfectionist; I have to reread my stuff over and over again before I hit submit. I'm also the type to "write essays" and I bet most people are like "tl;dr" but it's just the way I talk/type.

I don't care for the occasional emote or "lol". I use it myself to lighten the mood but if someone else uses them obsessively I kind of get ticked.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I usually use pretty decent grammar, sometimes I skip punctuation or capitalization for fun though haha

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Ahh l33t. The language of my MySpace days at 10-12 years old.
    I'll take proper grammar any day of the week than go back to that horrible nightmare.

I keep my posts short and sweet. Tl;dr Ph.D. paper replies always bother me, especially when it's on a simple thread like "do you like doughnuts?" It's just so unnecessary. Oh and as for the lol, haha, and emoticon stuff, I only use it if I think my jokes sound too serious without it. Or if I'm genuinely laughing. I barely use emoticons unless I just want to be silly and make my emotion more obvious.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I didn't use to, but nowadays on forums and generally the entire internet I try to use proper grammar where I can. Not so much with Skype or things like that, but I like to make sure everything else is properly written. I'm really not one for using phrases like "lol" or emoticons to be honest, unless, like I mentioned earlier, I'm using Skype or I'm talking with other people.

Years
  • I've always been one for proper grammar. That being said I might not always use it. The colon and semicolon still get me sometimes. As for spelling, I try my best. I usually post on this forum from my phone with auto correct on to account for my messy thumb smashing but sometimes it can get the better of me. I'm surprised by how many words aren't in my phone's dictionary. Also, despite setting the language to English (Aus) it still tries to correct words to US spelling despite Australia following the UK. I have to manually respell those.

I text with full grammar and punctuation. I never got into abbreviating words, which may have to do with the fact that I owned my first mobile phone when I was 18.

I write in a conversational way because it suits the situation and the audience. These are forums after all.

pkmin3033

My posts on forums tend to reflect my speech patterns in real life...well, to a point. I'm not quite as eloquent in real life, as I don't have much time to think about what I'm going to say, and I make the usual false starts/repetitions everyone makes and overlooks in everyday speech, but...well, there isn't a huge difference. I even slip in a "lol" here and there when I'm feeling particularly lazy. About the only thing I use in my posts that I don't use in real life is emoticons, because I have absolutely no idea how I'd do it without people looking at me as if I was (more) insane, and saying "xD" at the end of my sentences or "colon three" would be an even more annoying verbal tick than "desu" or whatever.

I've had good spelling, punctuation and grammar drilled into me; I couldn't type chatspeak if I tried to...and I have no desire to; I LOATHE it. It's probably my biggest internet pet peeve. I have no real need to check obsessively for mistakes, as it comes automatically to me, and everyone makes mistakes sometimes; I'm not going to get hung up over it if I make the occasional slip.

Years
  • I don't obsess over correct spelling and grammar.

But what really does annoy me is text speak and other slang.

What annoys me the most however is people who feel the need to put words like mate, pal, buddy, pet, pat, lad etc at the end of the sentience (it doesn't happen here but does on other forums and it drives me insane)

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i just type as is necessary for the situation
    stressing about perfect grammar/punctuation on here is laughable

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Basic grammar and spelling is essential to me. Anyone who does not practice it baffles me. I don't understand the point of being lazy about it. You don't need to spell everything super correctly and a few typos are here and there are all right. But at least try to capitalize, use semi-decent punctuation, and periods. Why this has even become a thing on the internet will be something I'll never understand. It just makes it more difficult for me to understand what others are saying, and more difficult to read their posts. Using all lowercase just makes everything slog together into one giant jumble and I typically skip over it. What I say is if you can't make enough of an effort to make what you're saying follow very basic laws of English we learn early on in schooling, then I can't be bothered to read it, and will likely think of you as a lazy person/idiot who is not worth my time. (Unless you have a legitimate reason, such as English not being your first language. Most people do not have that reason.) Sounds a bit harsh and snooty, but that is how I feel. I pretty much read those who do not format their posts like that with slurring drunken voices in my mind. It's the text equivalent of speaking like that. You could be the smartest person in the world, but if that's how you chose to display yourself, then that is how my mind will judge. It's difficult not to if you deliberately chose to lower your standards.

Of course, I write semi-similarly to how I speak, but they're pretty far off from each other. Writing is how I've been expressing myself for years, and it affords me the time and thought my slow processor of a brain needs. Because of that, I'm far more eloquent and coherent here. I consider my written word to be my truest voice, much more sincere than the way I speak. What you are reading here is more me than hearing my voice. The way I speak is kind of messy and sputtery, often involving random pauses and mispronounciations of words because my brain cannot keep up with my mouth.

I try to avoid emoticons as much as possible, though I use them sometimes so people won't think of me as an intimidating text robot. But I feel they ruin the purity of my intent with insincerity, as I'd rather use them to portray REAL emotions I feel. If I'm smiling in real life, then I might use a smiley face.

Also, I don't say "lol" or any of that jazz. I feel it adds more to the insecurity of things, and is so overused that it means nothing nowadays. I don't like any unnecessary additions to sentences that ruin the sincerity of my words. What I want to do is come across as authentic as possible.

I tend to be semi long-winded in my posts (not quite to essay levels though, because I tend to fizzle out before them), but I will only post if I find it something worthy of being long-winded about. A forum for me is for long amounts of speech, whereas IM is for shorter messages. Anything I have less than three sentences to say about isn't worth posting about.

Last edited:

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I mostly try to correct my grammer so that the messages and posts I give are understandable

Goomy Gumi

Gooey Vocaloid
    Years
  • For me, I try to type with perfect spelling and grammar if possible. Depending on what I reply to, I could type anywhere from one line to a couple of paragraphs. Usually I try to keep things concise, though. I tend to throw in a "lol" or smiley at some point just to lighten things up, and I use bad spelling and grammar occasionally if I'm joking to a friend about something (ex.: omg y u do dis omg </3).

Skype and messages to my friends on the other hand... 8D

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Basic grammar and spelling is essential to me. Anyone who does not practice it baffles me. I don't understand the point of being lazy about it. You don't need to spell everything super correctly and a few typos are here and there are all right. But at least try to capitalize, use semi-decent punctuation, and periods. Why this has even become a thing on the internet will be something I'll never understand. It just makes it more difficult for me to understand what others are saying, and more difficult to read their posts. Using all lowercase just makes everything slog together into one giant jumble and I typically skip over it. What I say is if you can't make enough of an effort to make what you're saying follow very basic laws of English we learn early on in schooling, then I can't be bothered to read it, and will likely think of you as a lazy person/idiot who is not worth my time.

someone thinks far too highly of themselves over something as immaterial as internet punctuation

Years
  • I am certainly not the best writer out there, but I do have high standards for at least attempting correct grammar. For me, proper capitalization and punctuation just comes naturally, for the most part. Commas and apostrophes always give my fingers a problem, though. Also, my brain and fingers don't work well together when typing, so my pinkie always decides on it's own to add random capital letters where it doesn't make sense. But apart from that it's still passable.

I've noticed around the internet that people have a habit of ignoring grammar. That's just simply not something that flies well with my brain. I can't stand reading something so poorly written. A short sentence isn't so bad, but when it gets too long and lacks too much grammar, I will simply move on and ignore it.

someone thinks far too highly of themselves over something as immaterial as internet punctuation

I think you have it backwards there. Someone who lacks proper grammar more thinks too lowly of themselves. It's like you are proudly wearing a T-Shirt that says, "i am ignorant".

I'm not saying that you are stupid or anything. But if you want to give people the impression you have some intelligence, then don't write like you haven't got any.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I type with proper grammar on forums, mostly just out of habit, but when I'm in chatrooms I kinda just lose it. It's less formal, I guess, and I type faster in spaces like that.

Back