• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

f0rum L4ngu4ag3

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I think you have it backwards there. Someone who lacks proper grammar more thinks too lowly of themselves. It's like you are proudly wearing a T-Shirt that says, "i am ignorant".

I'm not saying that you are stupid or anything. But if you want to give people the impression you have some intelligence, then don't write like you haven't got any.

I don't think you got what she meant. If I understand it correctly, Aphrodite says that Arylett takes quite the highground with that statement.

I don't think a lack of capitalisation and punctuation makes you seem like an idiot, but I do assume you're younger or don't frequent forums. And if it's a single sentence, or just two, I don't even care if you use punctuation. Personally, I have the tendency to end sentences with a tagged on haha a lot, otherwise it feels so serious.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I type using proper grammar during chats, but I have to deal with auto-correct every time I type a word or name of a fictional character.

Years
    I try to type using proper grammar and punctuation/capitalization. Sometimes I won't use completely proper grammar if it'd put my post in a different tone. It doesn't really bother me if you don't capitalize, but it does bug me a bit when I see a post with improper punctuation, grammar, or text talk, like "u".

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    as someone who doesn't capitalize the first word of sentences, I can safely say that I do not "think too lowly" of myself or am "ignorant." (what?) I don't think typing this way is a hindrance at all but of course if I did think that I wouldn't do it so. maybe I'm the minority here.

regardless, the only thing that gets under my skin is when people type with a complete disregard for any grammatical conventions at all. I used to get annoyed when people wrote in "text speak" but now it's just kind of like who cares.

Years
    I read through my posts more depending on where I'm posting. If I'm writing a post within the staff forums I'll take more time to read through it (and end up re-reading at least.. five times hah) to make sure I'm getting my point across concisely, otherwise I'll only re-read once or so. Or maybe just skim and post it.. which can suck since I end up making typos and yeah. :( Typo demons away!

Always need to make sure my grammar's correct or I'll go crazy too. Emotes are also fun and I daresay I'm more obsessed with them than I should be? Maybe. It depends. :D;

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Ummm, usually I just post the way that's more comfy for me, haha~ I don't really put too much emphasis on grammar or.. punctuation myself because if I try too hard it.. just doesn't sound like me, y'know? Spelling? Well, it's been beaten in my brain since I was a kid to spell stuff right, so, I guess you can kinda call it a perma-habit~

f0rum L4ngu4ag3

Sometimes I even post with images, like this.

f0rum L4ngu4ag3

But only because it's pretty fun to get emotions across, and encourages me to post a lot! Plus others have told me that they like them too, soooo... its for them too.

Anywho, yeah, typos are kinda common for me, because I kinda type quickly, and I don't really bother re-reading my posts, haha. I get my silly moments with that, but, eeeh, I'm not really all that much of a serious person. :3

Last edited:

Yukari

I read through my posts more depending on where I'm posting. If I'm writing a post within the staff forums I'll take more time to read through it (and end up re-reading at least.. five times hah) to make sure I'm getting my point across concisely, otherwise I'll only re-read once or so. Or maybe just skim and post it.. which can suck since I end up making typos and yeah. :( Typo demons away!

Always need to make sure my grammar's correct or I'll go crazy too. Emotes are also fun and I daresay I'm more obsessed with them than I should be? Maybe. It depends. :D;
    Basically this. Minus the whole staff forums thing. I usually do proffread my posts when I'm debating a topic though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I generally try to communicate with good grammar and diction. but then sometimes i just don't care and like honestly???? who really gives a fuck how i type on here lol

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Everybody gets annoyed at me because I take too long responding to anything through text due to me making sure everything is proper. It's a habit instilled in me since I was young and I see no reason to break it. Everyone also gets annoyed at me because I tend toward the "wordy" side, but I'm a writer, and being "wordy" is just how I am.

When I was younger, I used to use a lot of emoticons. These days, if I feel the need to use one, I tend to grab image ones from other forums rather than regular text emoticons.

Other people's grammar doesn't bother me too much. The one trend I've noticed that bothers me is the one where a multitude of question marks are added to the end of sentences. Like when???? They do this?????? Because they think it accomplishes something????????? I don't know what?????????????????????????????

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I obsess about my spelling and grammar, to the level where I'm willing to edit an entire post, no matter how long, just to tidy my errors up. I usually don't care for anyone else's spelling and grammar but my own, but if their message is difficult to read, then I'll get a little frustrated.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Alright so im gonna. Babble so warning.
    I type super fast usually have grammar or auto correct issues that i wont fix.
    I use text slangs like lol u and numbers to represent word equivalents.
    I use probably more emoticons than anyone on the forum lol ^_^
    I generally babble in some discussions or repeat myself haha
    I love to laugh and keep an up beat mood when i post and it usually stays that way.
    I do kinda write and essay because i like to either answer all questions asked or make a topic out of ones that could have been asked lol
    I like using different fonts sizes etc. but i dont always capitalize things or put commas in or periods and I'll put on a run on sentance.
    And sometimes i go off topic lol so theres a little insight :)

Reactions: Her
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    I 4lW4y5 U2e pR0pEr 9r4Mm4R 4nD Punc7u47I0n, 4nd 4Lw4y5 5pelL 7HIN95 K0RreC7ly. I7 4C7U4lLy 8U95 meH iF I d0n'7.

Spoiler:

(l33tspeak is hard to type)

Years
    I don't really care about grammar as long as I can understand the message.

For some reason this particular error bothers me a lot, though. "should of" "could of" "would of", etc.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I like to tease people with their spelling errors. Ask Buoysel. I do that to him a lot. :P

When it comes to reading forum posts, I have a very high tolerance, no matter hOw mUch u SpEEk LieK dIS. If someone's post is deemed unreadable, I will ask the person to rephrase it to a way that I'll be able to read it.

I like to write posts properly, with punctuation y todo. there are also times that i'm just lazy and just type as if i literally have no idea how to use the shift key or use periods and all that and just continue to write this silly run-on sentence with no ending period whatsoever hahahahaha

Years
    Some of my posts here are a bit on the short side, but when i'm in forums like Pokémon Gaming Central I do attempt to make my posts a bit longer.

But I don't get too bothered by most people's ways of typing here if what they're saying is clear.

Years
    Using correct grammar and punctuation doesn't necessary mean you're intelligent in the same way that not using proper grammar doesn't necessary mean you aren't. I can think of many other things to concern myself with online before grammar, lol.

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
    f0rum L4ngu4ag3

*cough cough* well, actually, it doesn't matter much... Grammar is important though, depends on what kind of topic you're replying at.

Years
    Some of my posts here are a bit on the short side, but when i'm in forums like Pokémon Gaming Central I do attempt to make my posts a bit longer.

But I don't get too bothered by most people's ways of typing here if what they're saying is clear.

I agree with you there. I tend to post both long and short posts, but that's mainly depending on the section I'm posting in or the topic I'm responding to.

I'm not bothered too much by post style but it has to at least be readable.

Years
    I 4lW4y5 U2e pR0pEr 9r4Mm4R 4nD Punc7u47I0n, 4nd 4Lw4y5 5pelL 7HIN95 K0RreC7ly. I7 4C7U4lLy 8U95 meH iF I d0n'7.

Spoiler:

(l33tspeak is hard to type)

L33tspeak takes too much effort to read, so I don't bother with it most of the time. I really don't know why people actually type things like that lol

I'm not too worried about grammar or spelling here. As long as I can communicate effectively, I don't need to focus too much on it.

Back