• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite evolution method

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Thru out pokemon games, some or several pokemons have different way in order needed from evolving like turning 3DS upside to evolve inkay to malamar and needing high friendship at night time thought there others that if you're loner and have no friends back to evolve a machoke to machamp.

What's your prefered method of evolution and what evolution you disliked? Anything that just need 2 consoles to evolve a pokemon isn't my thing because I play pokemon alone before wifi was around.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I don't really have a favorite evolution method, I think every single one has its own merit.

Leveling up and High Friendship are definitely the better ones, though, if you ask me. They're plain and simple and easy to achieve. Stone evolutions are okay, too, but most of the time, I'm bothered by the fact all Stone Evolution Pokemon (or most) stop learning new moves after evolving, so it gets points down on that front for me. I'm okay with trade evolutions because prior to the Switch games I could trade between myself or ask a friend if I really wanted to have a Pokemon that evolves through trade to evolve. Now I can't though without paying a fee for a subscription so I don't use trade evolution Pokemon in the Galar games. (I might not in BD/SP, either.)

Time based evolutions are okay, too, I'm fine with them, but will often forget when a Pokemon can evolve. Like, I believe Budew can only evolve with High Friendship during the day, or something? It's pretty easy to just change the clock of your console/system to manipulate that, anyway, but it's not really an evolution method I think about often.

Evolving while holding a certain item (both level up and trading) is fine, too, but there aren't a lot of Pokemon that use items to evolve. I think only a handful have to hold an item to evolve. Sneasel, Gligar and Happiny, I think? Those aren't too bad, but from what it looks like, most of the time those items are locked to the post game. That's a little aggravating, if I'm being honest, and I wish the Razor Claw/Fang were something you can get earlier in Gen Iv, at least, anyway. But, Sneasel isn't available all that early on, anyway. Evolving while using a certain item is pretty decent, too, but is so much better than the evolutionary stone method.

Some of the evolution methods that require you to go to a certain location or know a certain move are the more annoying ones to me, if I'm being honest. Especially Leafeon and Glaceon, though. It required Game Freak to have to put a Moss Rock and Ice Rock in every single Pokemon game until they decided to change it in Galar, which I'm grateful for. Most of the time, the Moss and Ice Rock were in places you'd rarely ever go making it less likely you'll get to use Leafeon and Glaceon. For example, you can't even get Leafeon in B2/W2 until after the post game, which is really annoying. I honestly think this evolution method would be better off if they had the Moss and Ice rocks in multiple places throughout the region and not just one literal place on one map where you have to go find it yourself.

Which is why I'm glad that method is gone. It'll return in BD/SP, though, I'm sure.

Location based evolutions are a little annoying, too, because most of the time it is, again, only one location on the map. Like Nosepass into Probopass can seemingly only happen in Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh. I'm sure there are plenty of places in Sinnoh with electromagnet waves in them. I don't know, I just feel the specific location evolutions are just too gimmicky. It should just be anywhere with an electomagnetic field, which probably is not a lot of places, but still.

For move specific evolutions, I'm okay with them, but some of them are annoying. Did you know Piloswine can't learn Ancient Power naturally and the only way it gets it is through the Move Tutor? Some people probably don't even know where the Move Tutor is (in Sinnoh) and will likely miss an opportunity to evolve their Piloswine through that. Poipole, too, Poipole does not learn Dragon Pulse naturally, and you have to teach it through a Move Tutor. It's easier now that SW/SH plant a move tutor in every single Pokemon Center, but in older games we didn't have that luxury. There was only one move relearner in every region until Galar. This honestly makes the move specific evolutions more frustrating to me than cool.

And some the gimmicky Galar evolutions are a tiny bit ridiculous that I feel new players would not know about if they went into this game blind.

Like how am I supposed to know to spin my joystick to evolve a Milcery if I didn't look it up? It's a cute evolution method, don't get me wrong, but what if spinning is removed in generation 9? How will Milcery evolve then?

Same with Galarian Farfetch'd into Sirfetch'd having to get three critical hits in one single battle can be hard if you don't have that one specific Farfetch'd item that boosts critical hits ratio.

...And Galarian Yamask is so horrifically specific. Having to be below a certain amount of HP and be in one very specific place on the map? When I first heard about that evolution method, I was completely astounded by it. I can't even fathom how it'd work outside of Galar.

Other gimmicky evolution methods aren't that bad, though. I'm alright with Eevee into Sylveon and Inkay into Malamar. It's interesting to have to flip your console upside down after the Pokemon levels up. I wouldn't mind if they change Eevee to Sylveon into a Fairy Stone or something in later games, though.

So, most evolution methods are cool, and I don't have a favorite, but some of them just annoy me a tiny bit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I like to feel that Pokémon evolve because they've grown up and/or achieved something, so my favorite are level up and friendship.

I dislike any evolution that involves trading, because I'm fine with trading to get version exclusives or Pokémon from other regions, but trade evolutions are just Game Freak being hypocrite. Pokémon are supposed to evolve because you raise and care about them, not because you give them away to other trainers.

Years
    Trade evos that require held items is by far my least favorite. I was never able to get these mons when I was younger due to having nobody to trade with. And using the GTS is a big no-no for this because you're gonna get trolled/scammed.
    Normal trade evos that don't require items are ok though. Not my fav, but I don't hate them either.

Feebas' original evo method was a huge pain and deserves a mention too. First you'd have to find one of the dang things, which could already be a big pain. Then you'd have to max it's beauty through Pokeblocks to get it to evolve. I actually don't mind they made it into a Trade Evo in later gens as it was a very tedious evolution. (do wish it didn't require an item though)

Tyrogue's evolution method is annoying if you're aiming for a specific Hitmon evolution. You pretty much need to use Vitamins or you'll probably end up with one of the other evolutions.

Time of day evolutions are a nuisance, but are only a dislike to me.
    Actually kinda fine with the gimmicky evolution methods, though I'll admit Sirfetch'd in particular was kinda annoying to get.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    [/SIZE]Tyrogue's evolution method is annoying if you're aiming for a specific Hitmon evolution. You pretty much need to use Vitamins or you'll probably end up with one of the other evolutions.

Evolving my Tyrogue into a Hitmonchan was an absolute nightmare. I had to manipulate my Tyrogue's stats with vitamins just get one, and then it turned out my Hitmonchan's nature was -defense. So, it wasn't a good Hitmonchan because it would have been better to let it evolve into Hitmonlee...

I don't care about natures or stats by the way. I just regretted the decision because my Hitmonchan just suffered to be good because it was an attack nature, not defense.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My favorite is through simply leveling up.

My least favorite is when they require a certain held item that you can't obtain until the post game.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Depends somewhat on the setting.

Favorite on a first playthrough: Friendship. Surprises you after a battle. (Hates it in conjunction with a specific time, however. Plays at roughly the same times. May never evolve, in that case. Definitely could have happened with Fomantis in Pokemon Moon. Stopped playing completely blind for a reason.)

Favorite while playing with full information: Level-up. Fiddles the least with it. Usually grinds out friendship.

Least favorite (either way): Trade evolutions. Might as well not evolve. Scorns the Porygon line for two trade evolutions with items. Cannot trust a Porygon2 for Porygon2 trade over GTS. (Tried to get trade evolutions with items once for Pokedex completion. Varied with how many times people did not trade the item. Guesses an average of maybe three unsuccessful trades per.)

Honorable mention for least favorite: Location-based. Locks most of these evolutions to very late in the game.

Years
    Good 'ol leveling up usually, since there's less struggle most of the time. Stones are a close second favorite since they're so easy to get in the current games, making the evolution quicker to access than leveling up sometimes. Remembering the struggle in games like GSC where you can only get a very limited amount of evo stones and they're restricted to certain parts of the day though, makes me not want to vote it #1. Glad they improved that.

Night and day evolutions are the best for story/writing purposes. <3 They're really cool!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think night/day evolutions are much better when you get a different form (Umbreon and Espeon). It would be cool if more time specific evolutions had variants, like a day time gliscor.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Trade evolutions suck. Obviously I understand the logic, but as somebody who's never had Pokémon-playing friends, it meant I couldn't get quite a few Pokémon until my DSLite faked its own death, allowing me to get a new one from my parents, then burst into life, allowing me to trade with myself. I find sitting there with 2 consoles even less fun than grinding.
    I like Happiness, it just seems right for all the in-game messaging about the trainer-pokémon relationship.
    Stones are fine too, although I agree with OP that its frustrating that they can't get any further moves. I quite often delay evolutions anyway, but for example the elemental monkeys get their final moves beyond lv. 40 whereas a more obvious point to evolve them would be lv. 30 (and BW even give you a stone and practically command you to do it when they'll barely be at lv. 20).

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Throughout the entire series the only method I liked was level up because it's straight forward and doable. I'm fine with elemental stones as well, but in Silver I found it incredibly frustrating at the lack of elemental stones. Every other method just seems unnecessary and/or gimmicky.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i'm not going to count level up since that's majority of pokemon, so i'll say i like stones. idk i like the idea of a pokemon needing this supernatural elemental stone thing to evolve. and it makes you have to kind of strategize when you evolve that pokemon too, which i know is bothersome for some people, but i kind of like it. considering most stone evolution pokemon don't learn anything else after evolving, like yeah i get the downside, but also i just enjoy a challenge i suppose. i like friendship evolution in theory, but in practice...ugh lmfao. sorry...

least favorite is probably any time you need a rare or expensive (looking at you razor items) item, usually only found in the post game, for a pokemon to hold at certain times of the day. OR one of those items and trading it. trade evolution can already be a hassle depending on the game but even more so when you also need an item to go along with it. location based evolution also sucks. it's nice and makes sense in theory but fuck why i gotta wait til nearly 7 badges in to get glaceon...

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'm fine with elemental stones as well, but in Silver I found it incredibly frustrating at the lack of elemental stones.

Something they kept for the remakes - you can't even find a Sun Stone in ordinary play in HgSs, if you want a Bellossom or Sunflora you have to either get lucky in the Bug-Catching Contest or wait until you're in the post-game and get acquainted with Pokéthlon. I'm all for rarity, but that one seemed to be just cruel - you'd struggle to get a lv. 100 Sunkern through the Pokémon League!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Like most, I hate any type of trade method. Especially those in which need an item. Because when you don't have people to play with, you can easily get scammed on the GTS.

Another type of evolution is the Hitmons. I just hated it so much, especially for the longest time, I didn't know what the heck any of the stats meant. I never paid attention to them till Kalos. So it was always random. I did finally get a Hitmontop, but it took AGES. And I have never gotten one since.

I think my two favorite methods are Sliggoo needing rain to evolve to Goodra and Pancham needing to have a Dark Type to evolve, although it never really made a whole lot of sense to me. Especially when we already had Fighting/Dark.

Everything else I am fairly neutral on.

Oh and I did love the Kubfu arc in Isle of Armor and I would love to see more of that in the future.

Years
    I would stick to leveling up. Trading is too much of a hassle if you do not hsve a trusted friend playing pokemon

I like stone evolutions, but I don't like the lack of them in some games

Right and you will be like hsve to choose which to evolve

I like to feel that Pokémon evolve because they've grown up and/or achieved something, so my favorite are level up and friendship.

I dislike any evolution that involves trading, because I'm fine with trading to get version exclusives or Pokémon from other regions, but trade evolutions are just Game Freak being hypocrite. Pokémon are supposed to evolve because you raise and care about them, not because you give them away to other trainers.

Dislike trading evolution too

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    good ol' leveling up + stones, because they're pretty straightforward. even leveling up during day/night is simple enough. anything that's usually more involved than that... eh.

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2022
    Leveling! It's the easiest. I hate trade evolutions. Makes it super hard to get on older games and especially if you don't have any friends to trade with. :(

Back