• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Favorite Unovian Pokémon?

pkmin3033

Meloetta! As well as being my favourite fifth gen Pokemon, she's actually my all-time favourite Pokemon. I love music themed things, plus she has a simple, elegant design I adore~

...in Aria form. Pirouette form is ugly as sin.

Reactions: Sun

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Hmm... Sewaddle or Swadloon? AUGH!

When in doubt, I'd vote for Excadrill. Not only is it cute and cool at the same time, but it's also competitively viable.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Excadrill has always been my favorite since I saw it and it was featured in an anime episode vs Beartic. I don't really understand why, I just really like its design and power; it's so easy and fun to use and it has a cool Japanese name (Doryuuzu). :)

Years
545.gif

This big, massive overweight megapede is my #1 pick for this region. For its cool design and capability to learn some very interesting moves, and being super fast despite being as big as it is. And XY gave it Speed Boost and an Attack buff, but even before then I always loved this thing.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Sawk, hands down. It's not only my favourite Unova Pokémon, but also my favourite Pokémon of all time. It's a fantastic Pokémon to use in an ingame team (especially in B1W1) and it has one of the most underrated designs. People always dismiss it as ugly, when from both a personal and a critic's point of view, it's design is not as bad as what others say. My most favourite things about its design is how its based on an Oni and how it wears clothing. Especially the latter, since it creates more worldbuilding and mystery to the world of Pokémon. Some people also say that Fighting types are the same thing, but to be blunt, so are Ghost types. It's kind of a shame to see so much hate for this Pokémon. Both Yōkai and strangeness have always been in Pokémon since the beginning.

My second favourite of the Unova region is Mienshao. It's fast, it hits hard and it has one of the best designs. If only if you can catch it earlier in B1W1. The concept of a whip fighting Pokémon is also a strange one, but in a positive way. I like this Pokémon so much that it has kind of made me a fan of weasels. :P

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Sawk, hands down. It's not only my favourite Unova Pokémon, but also my favourite Pokémon of all time. It's a fantastic Pokémon to use in an ingame team (especially in B1W1) and it has one of the most underrated designs. People always dismiss it as ugly, when from both a personal and a critic's point of view, it's design is not as bad as what others say. My most favourite things about its design is how its based on an Oni and how it wears clothing. Especially the latter, since it creates more worldbuilding and mystery to the world of Pokémon. Some people also say that Fighting types are the same thing, but to be blunt, so are Ghost types. It's kind of a shame to see so much hate for this Pokémon. Both Yōkai and strangeness have always been in Pokémon since the beginning.
Sawk is based on an Oni? I thoguht that Oni's were like horned demons or something.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Sawk is based on an Oni? I thoguht that Oni's were like horned demons or something.

According to a review with Ken Sugimori, he confirmed that when designing Sawk and Throh, he wanted to make them Onis, but with a twist. Originally, Sawk and Throh actually were going to have horns instead of eyebrows, but they had to change it to avoid the similarities of them and the Kami Trio. And while it may not seem like it at first glance, the Sawk and Throh actually have a fair few similarities between them and the Oni. Probably not as much as, say, Electabuzz, but still.

Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Musharna... idk why umbilical cord tubby hippo is so enticing to me, but alas I am drawn to it. Some others would be Leavanny, Maractus, Sigilyph, Golurk, Bisharp, and Mandibuzz

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
My favourite gen 5 Pokemon are Serperior, Samurott, Terrakion, Volcarona, Chandelure, Ferrothorn, Galvantula, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Krookodile, Excadrill, Escavalier, Durant, Reuniclus, Sigilyph, Vanilluxe, Darmanitan, Zoroark, Zebstrika, Musharna, Throh, Seismitoad, Lilligant, Cinccino, Scrafty, Scolipede, Cofagrigus, Victini, Golurk, Gigalith, Beartic, Braviary, Eelektross, Archeops, Zekrom, and male Jellicent.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I really dug both Hydreigon and Volcarona; both have unique typing and evolve late in the game. Great stuff. I made it a point to hang onto Hydreigon on my way through the games, and Vesuvius the Volcarona is a wonderful addition to my collection.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Victini! I love that little guy. I have the event one and love using him. He's adorable, and actually pretty strong.

His unobtainable shiny version is also pretty awesome. White and red. Nice.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Personal Favorites from Gen V:

Hydreigon = basically whatever is said about this thing. Even though it evolves really late, it makes all the grinding with that Zwellous really worth it. Plus, it looks like an embodiment of evil (which is why I don't wonder why its Ghetsis' signature monster)

Volcarona = unique typing, cool looking, again, whatever was said about it by other people. I also have a liking for butterflies.

Zoroark = first time seeing it, i thought it was really cool. And its pre-evolved form Zorua is really adorable. It also helps that their movie reinforced my love for them. I even named by female Zoroark "Meema" as a dedication.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Haxorus! Especially Shiny Haxorus. :D
I always thought that it was the coolest looking Pokemon back when I was patiently waiting for new leaks of Black & White.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Gosh, there is a lot. Off top of my head, I would say one would likely have to be Sigilyph.

Now, Sigilyph is a pretty underrated Pokémon in itself, to a point where some of us aren't precisely aware of its existence. Although its design is indeed slightly funky, I still believe it's able to perform quite well when it comes to competitive and whatnot. It's got Magic Guard ability, which prevents it from being hurt by any non-damaging attacks, such as Stealth Rock, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, and so forth, which are utilized very often in competitive battling scene. On top of this, it's also got access to some decent moves, such as Psycho Shift, Cosmic Power, Roost, and Stored Power; if these four are put together into a set, it could be very punishing.

Aside from this, I'm also very fond of Hydregion. In my eyes, its design seems to fit the Pokémon very well; it's dark-dragon, and usually, dark-types have tendency to look intimidating and whatnot, which Hydregion is. Alongside, it has great offenses as well, making it easy to use it as an attacker.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I love Hydreigon. It's beautiful in so many ways. It has a unique look to it and pretty awesome typing. It also reminds me of a hydra. xD Ever since I got the game I've always had one on my team. :3

I also love Meloetta. That is seriously one of the cutest pokemon to have been made since Celebi. It's awesome.

Back