• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Following Pokemon

Alexander18

Banned
Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Please don't bring it back. I want to see other features that are actually useful and exciting. Features that provide actual use. Switch games are better off without the following pokemon feature.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Why do people keep saying that "the 3DS won't be able to handle it"?

Dragon Quest VII has three models following the player character and it worked well on my 3DS (which is an older model). And I think DQVII was much larger than SuMo.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I feel like you're comparing apples and oranges.

Double Battles and even the Battle Royal was an absolute nightmare on most 3DS systems. I genuinely don't think it'd be a good idea to introduce Pokemon following you to the 3DS system if it can barely handle the former two.
    It should be noted that in the overworld models are extremely downscaled in comparison to in-battle, so the 3DS could handle it.

But unless we have actual specs, then it's nearly impossible to say.

Years
  • I feel like you're comparing apples and oranges.

Double Battles and even the Battle Royal was an absolute nightmare on most 3DS systems. I genuinely don't think it'd be a good idea to introduce Pokemon following you to the 3DS system if it can barely handle the former two.

You know, she's right. If you look at HG/SS we were still in the simple sprite days, and large Pokemon that had a bigger overworld sprite only couldn't go inside buildings whereas smaller Pokemon can. Now we have to deal with 3D models and the fact S/M already pushed 3DS limits far enough, so you can see it would make sense why we wouldn't have walking Pokemon.

I would like to see it return one day, but maybe for the Switch game.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    A few scenarios to keep in mind, as I mentioned:

a) Are the overworld models going to be to scale? In HGSS this wasn't too much of a problem, but it's also because you're dealing with sprites. Even having ridiculously huge Pokemon like Dialga/Palkia/Rayquaza/insert oversized Pokemon here wasn't so much of a problem because it's really just a matter of making a bigger sprite behind the player character.

b) Are the overworld models all going to be the same size? This creates complications. What I mean by this is... think if every single 3D Pokemon model was about the size of say, Pokemon Box R/S models (google those if you aren't familiar). This means that some Pokemon would look hideous with downsized proportions compared to their normal, standard proportions. The best middle-ground scenario would be, as I mentioned, having the Pokemon models all be slightly bigger than the player models. This still means that most Pokemon would be awful if they aren't shown to scale and have proper detail to them.

Even having Pokemon to scale would present its own problems, because even if it's not really a matter of if the 3DS can handle it, it then becomes a matter of practicality. How are you going to enter a Pokemon Center or maneuver around buildings and small spaces with a Wailord or a Snorlax? There are no shortages of areas in SM where I feel like Pokemon following you wouldn't fit at all due to how impractical it would be. Entire maps would have to be revamped (from the best of my understanding?) to accomodate larger Pokemon size unless you decrease the size of the Pokemon models themselves. In that case you'd have to fix 800 models to make sure all of them don't look ugly when constricted to smaller proportions.

Does this make sense?

I suppose the best Game Freak can do is auto-disable Pokemon following you on small spaces, but I don't see them going that far personally.
    a) Probably not. Having all Pokémon to scale would be nearly impossible because of huge Pokémon like Wailord, legendaries, etc. Admittedly, this would make said Pokémon look terrible when following you, but it's something that I can definitely see GameFreak doing (heck, they already massively downscaled Wailord in battle).

b) I highly doubt all the models would be the same size, as it would create some weirdly sized Pokémon when they could be easily smaller. But I'm not sure I understand what you're really saying here, so correct me if I'm wrong,

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • S/M wasnt super optimized for the 3ds and it took up a ton of space in terms of data, so while the animations exist, I dont have super high hopes for it. And S/M did not have the feature... why would the sequel suddenly have it? Finally, US/M is coming out in just a couple months- you would think such an appealing feature would at least be in some sort of trailer by now.

That being said, I would LOVE to have my pokemon following around throughout my adventures in Alola!

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    New trailer confirms walking Pokémon are returning! :D

It only showed Rockruff, and he was traveling kind of far behind the trainer compared to HGSS when the Pokémon was basically right behind the trainer. Might have something to do with larger Pokémon...

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • New trailer confirms walking Pokémon are returning! :D

It only showed Rockruff, and he was traveling kind of far behind the trainer compared to HGSS when the Pokémon was basically right behind the trainer. Might have something to do with larger Pokémon...

I was thinking the same thing. I'm really hyped for this.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm thinking it's either an optional feature that you can switch on/off or the scene we saw was a specific section that allows Pokémon (or just Rockruff) to run around with the player.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Here are the possibilities:

1. Following pokemon is optional
    2. Following pokemon is only for certain pokemon
    3. Following pokemon is restricted to certain areas

In my opinion, three is the most likely possibility because one seems unlikely for the reason colours pointed out and two seems unlikely because the starter pokemon would be one of those certain pokemon and they aren't in the trailer following the player. Three is most likely because we have seen certain special areas in different games where we can do stuff like that, such as riding the gogoat (or its -pre-evo?) in XY.

Years
  • I saw that and immediately got really hyped, I really hope it returns and isn't super restricted. It could have a toggle which would explain why there isn't a Pokemon behind the player at other points in the trailer but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Hold on. No it doesn't.

The only other clip that shows the Trainer walking around in the OW doesn't show a Pokemon following behind them.

Following Pokemon

IIRC this is past the point where you get your first Pokemon. Why isn't it shown behind the player character? The only explanation is Game Freak somehow added some sort of toggle feature for it (which would be an odd move for them but w/e).

I would love Pokemon following you to return, but I'm not getting my hopes up until it is actually confirmed and I see consistent footage of the such, not just one clip.
    RIP: The dream. D:

I'm gonna go with the possibilities that BadSheep listed. They all seem pretty likely.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Boy, if they restrict it to certain areas, the reaction when it's announced fully is going to be hilarious.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • The restricted area theory makes sense, but after watching the trailer again, we see those road blocks that go away after defeating a trial. Which means the area the pokemon would be able to follow us is not enclosed. At least visually its not.

Years
  • My likely guess is that the walking Pokemon may be restricted to a certain area, like what happened with Amity Square in the Sinnoh games.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    No. We are not getting the following pokemon feature again. What we saw is just a random Rockruff running around. Also GF should focus on other things in alola. Important things that actually serve a purpose.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    No. We are not getting the following pokemon feature again. What we saw is just a random Rockruff running around. Also GF should focus on other things in alola. Important things that actually serve a purpose.

Honestly, I think you're missing the point of a video game. The point is to have fun. Pokemon following you is fun. Does it serve a purpose? No, but it makes the experience more immersive and enjoyable.

I personally, would love to see it return.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Running around in the exact path the trainer was walking?

Walking Pokémon are probably returning, but to what extent we don't know. It could be restricted to certain areas/sizes/etc.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Hold on. No it doesn't.

The only other clip that shows the Trainer walking around in the OW doesn't show a Pokemon following behind them.

Following Pokemon

IIRC this is past the point where you get your first Pokemon. Why isn't it shown behind the player character? The only explanation is Game Freak somehow added some sort of toggle feature for it (which would be an odd move for them but w/e).

I would love Pokemon following you to return, but I'm not getting my hopes up until it is actually confirmed and I see consistent footage of the such, not just one clip.

To me the Rockruff following looked more like how in Zelda when you get close to cats or dogs they will follow you for food/attention/blood. I mean it was pretty far behind the trainer, and the other shots like these have me pretty suspicious

Back