• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Buying

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
  • So for those who play on console at this point in time i guess do you guys still buy physical copies of games or digital, maybe mix of both? (now including every way to play games) Do you guys tend to buy games when they come out day one or just wait for a sale? (because whew steam is always having a sale, and now most other launchers are having more often sales as of yet). Anything else that deals with game buying i didnt mention?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • In my case, I tend to buy physical for Nintendo releases since it's the cheapest option- some 42€ at Fnac, which is about as low as some later official sales go. Everything else, well, it depends on whether there's some deal available, although digital tends to be the option of choice as they have more frequent (and deeper) discounts.

Years
  • For console games I pretty much only buy physical copies, mainly just to build a collection of game cases I put in a box tucked away somewhere. Also I can't really be patient enough to wait for to download, it's just kind of there to taunt you for 1 or 2 hours whereas when I order a game I know I'm forced to wait sooo... Also for older games, physical copies tend to be on sale too (depending on their popularity). Used to preorder games many months in advanced but now, I usually wait for reviews after being thoroughly disappointed by Pokemon Ultra Moon

As for PC, it's almost always through Steam and unless it's a game I desperately need to play, I'm waiting for it to be on sale (at least like 30% or higher). Also Steam has sales pretty frequently so, I feel like the games I want will eventually go on sale sooner or later for cheapos like me.

Years
    • Seen today
    I buy digitally. I only care about playing, and it's way more convenient.

If it's getting around Christmas/holiday season I'll typically wait until a sale.

pkmin3033

Always, always physical for consoles. I like purchasing products, not paying for access. Digital games are little better than glorified rentals; you're not actually getting anything tangible out of it, and it can feasibly be taken away from you in the future...and will be once the storefronts shut down if you don't have it downloaded and keep it downloaded forever. Considering that new games tend to go for full RRP - which is already far too much - on digital storefronts and don't depreciate in price over time the way physical games often do (excluding sales and, of course, Nintendo games) it really rubs me the wrong way. The digital landscape on consoles is an abhorrent mess and I'm not going to buy into it.

RRP these days is £49.99+ and yeah, that's disgusting. Especially when there is no cost of production and no retail store that needs to take a cut of that involved with digital games. I'm not going to line some greedy corporate executive's pockets, because I am sure that is where the excess goes. If I did I wouldn't be able to afford half as much as what I do buy either, and there are a lot of games I want to experience. For me to buy digital, I have to have no other choice, and I'll wait for a sale unless I want to play the game immediately.

Obviously with PC I have no other choice, but at time of writing I do very little PC gaming, and Steam Sales are frequent and when they do happen they actually reduce the price by a noticeable amount, not down to second-hand copy (or sometimes not even that) prices the way that console storefonts do. There's less of a danger of access being stolen from you - at least for the moment - when it comes to PC gaming, so the digital-only landscape isn't as much of an issue.

Last edited:
    Years
  • whatever is quicker, so usually I'll just buy digital these days. I used to always buy physical but game cases take up a lot of space after a while.

Years
  • I'm at a mix.

If I can find it physical, I'll buy into it physical.

If it's digital only, then I'm willing to swallow my pride and buy into it there.
    Since I update my list of obscure games I buy into and try out/play/just talk about; I have no hard troubles finding physicals to a lot of the older games. Newer gems are download only and.... There's a whole ******* mess to downloading I would go on about; if you remember Indie Royal when it was alive and gone, it's a prime example.

Years
  • If you check my posts from years ago you'd see I said I always go physical, but nowadays it's the total opposite. Digital games are a lot more convenient for me now, and Nintendo's online storage for games has become better over time. Plus it eliminates the need for having a lot of game carts and needing to swap them out to play different things - something I've grown to appreciate a lot more in recent years! So yeah, mostly digital nowadays, with the odd physical copy here and there (got the new WarioWare physical and am considering BDSP as a physical copy too).

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • I have no reason to go physical anymore, my current PC doesn't have an CD player inside of it, then again a lot of the time when I did buy physical in recent memory, its just a case with a code inside... doesn't feel too physical for me personally :(

Years
  • I buy physical for the security of it. I take pretty good care of my games so it usually isn't an issue.

Back