• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you bought a console just for playing Pokemon?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    What the title says. Have you ever bought, for example, a 3DS just so you could specifically play Pokemon XY? Not if you had bought the console for Pokemon among other games.

I know I haven't! I bought a DS/3DS because many games I wanted to play were on the system, which may or may not have included Pokemon since I'm not sure they were announced yet.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    No, I have never bought a console just for playing Pokémon. I had about 5 friends that purchased the Pokémon 3DS XL solely for Pokémon X and Y. Would I say it was a bad decision? No. While purchasing the handheld they now will be able to play Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby as well as the Pokémon games for Nintendo DS.

When I buy a console or handheld there are multiple games I want to play on the console. I have played more Mario Kart 7 than any other game on my Nintendo 3DS. Now for my Nintendo DS, I probably played Pokémon Diamond the most.

Years
    • Age 42
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Yep. I bought a Game Boy Advance knowing that Ruby and Sapphire were coming out soon on it, and I also bought a DS in anticipation of Diamond/Pearl. It's possible I bought my Game Boy Color for Gold/Silver back in the day, but I don't quite remember. I did end up getting other games for those consoles, but I got them for Pokemon. Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 3DS, as I still don't have one and have no interest in any other game on it, but I really want to play X/Y...

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Yes. I bought my 3DS in september just to play Pokémon Y. I don't regret it though. I can now buy OmegaRuby xD. (And any other future installment). I got Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D World (or Land, whatever) when receiving the 3DS. They both suck imo, so I played Black 2 until Y was released

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I originally bought a DS just to play Pokemon Diamond, my first Pokemon game that I've ever owned on my own. I then subsequently got Platinum and really wanted SoulSilver. Unfortunately, that didn't happen because 1. I couldn't afford it, and 2. my DS broke around the time I wanted it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 13, 2024
    Yup, when I was 5 or so, I initially got the Game Boy Color just for Pokemon Red.

Years
    All I seriously & regularly handheld is Pokemon, so yes.

Got my first handheld, a berry colored Game Boy Color, as a late birthday gift as well as Blue. Bought Red, a second GBC of same color, and a GB-GBC link cable (original GB has a wider cable port)... just for trading with self.

Have generally gone for owning two systems of the required format with the newer version system taking over the job of one of the two older ones.
    Like with gen 4-5. I use pink DSi classic and a used refurbished DS Lite that broke obviously because it has a few parts cannibalized from a yellow Pikachu DS Lite.. or from a non-Chinese Pikachu mold to rob me with a smile.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2024
    I never bought a console just for playing Pokémon, but Pokémon was the reason for why I bought a Game Boy Color (Pokémon Red/Blue) and Game Boy Advance (Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen)

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    Yes, it's the main reason I wanted a 3DS for Pokemon XY, and was also the main reason I was saving money for one, until my grandma got me one - my grandma was going to get me a console in Feb. 2013 of my choice for all the hard work I had done without complaining - so out of all the consoles - I picked the 3DS - for Pokemon!! (even now I don't care about the other consoles out there).

Years
    I haven't. When I got my 3DS it was in late 2011, well before XY were even announced, and my first DS was April 2006, before DP came in Japan. But nowadays Pokémon is mostly what I play on them.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've bought system knowing Pokemon would be on it as part of my equation to figure out if I want to buy it. So in a way, I have, but never directly.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    At first, yes. The only games I really play on the 3DS/DS systems and such are pokemon games to be honest. I have started playing Disney Magical World, which now defeats the purpose I originally intended lol.

But yes, I believe that was why because I play pokemon games way more than any other Nintendo games. I'm not big on nintendo unless it has something to do with pokemon.

Actually, now that I think about it, I bought a 3DS because my DSi XL was sort of broken. I had my action replay in it, and it fell over, hitting the floor and somehow jamming the action replay into the slot. After that, it had a hard time playing games unless you blew the game and the slot area. >< That's why I got my 3DS, but it was so I could play pokemon though, and I figured just getting a 3DS was easier since I'd have to upgrade it either way.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    Not the 3DS, I bought that because I knew sooner or later I would have had to update. I did buy a Wii U specifically for Mario Kart 8 though.

Years
    Yup I did get all my Nintendo handhelds purely for the purpose of playing Pokemon games. Given I'm a dedicated fan it's pretty given. I was pretty lucky getting my 3DS XL a month before X and Y were even announced, and I knew I was totally prepared given it was announced to be on 3DS.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I never buy a system just for one game. There's gotta be a few I want in order to consider buying it. Though Pokemon is usually one of those games.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I wish... I am from Brazil and everything that is so expensive...

So I dreamed of buying a console and Pokemon game for years, but my father never gave it to me because he said I would want to buy games every week, hahaha

He was wrong, years have passed and still I only use the emulator to play Pokemon, as I told him it would be xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've purchased my DS originally so that I could play Diamond. Glad I did, because I eventually bought plenty of other games for it, and began to really enjoy the system; now, it's become one of my all-time favorites. :] Even if it weren't for Pokémon, I would've bought this console at some point, anyway, but it would have taken a much longer time.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I bought my 3DS for Pokemon X and Y. I don't think it'd be entirely accurate to say that I bought it just for Pokemon. After all, there are a few other games that I wanted to play on it, but they just weren't enough to compel me to actually buy the system. Then when Pokemon came out, I was like "Oh man, now I've got to get my hands on a 3DS!"

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Not at all. I buy consoles for Zelda/Metroid titles and Pokémon is just secondary to them. XD

I bought my 3DS when Ocarina of Time 3D came out
    I bought my DSLite at launch because of the Metroid Prime: Hunters bundle
    My GBA was a birthday present the year it came out (2001?), so the timing was incidental but way before R/S launched.
    Anything before the original DS was when I was too young to have money and I was dependent on my parents, so it really doesn't count. XD

Back