• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homepage Layout

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm assuming this is being structured with the new PC design/structure in mind. So I think changes like this which are built for the forum styles that only staff can see should be rolled out as those styles are. I just want to say that from a user perspective; these sorts of updates look fragmented and unfinished. You're better off rolling out one big UI update all at once and then taking user feedback on it later. Making dozens of small changes to core design elements of a website index has the tendency to frustrate and confuse the user.

I'm all for modernising PC; but do it with some assertiveness and roll out the big UI change all at once. The inclusion of "wait and see" as reasoning when only staff can see the new style(s) may be enough for someone with a vision; but it's a thick fog for us on the outside looking in.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Personally I think the admins are doing a great job considering their positions are entirely voluntary. Implementing changes bit by bit is better than stagnation.

Dionen

deprived of sleep
Years
Are the bigger categories going to show its content? "Fan-Made games" and "Pokémon: General Discussions" links lead to nothing.
I don't remember if they worked before, but now it bugs me because "ROM Hacking" and "ROM Hack Studio" are now split and I need to go back to the homepage if I want to switch between them.
It's small and something I can get used to, but hey it's feedback :3

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Are the bigger categories going to show its content? "Fan-Made games" and "Pokémon: General Discussions" links lead to nothing.
I don't remember if they worked before, but now it bugs me because "ROM Hacking" and "ROM Hack Studio" are now split and I need to go back to the homepage if I want to switch between them.
It's small and something I can get used to, but hey it's feedback :3
I believe one of the admins said that's being worked on.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I also really appreciate you adding the time of last post to the subforum info things. Very nice touch.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
Love the new layout, my only concern is that The Round Table's name is no longer as concise as it could be while looking at it from the main page, if you look at each forum under "Off-Topic", each name has a somewhat defined message of what will be discussed within, even "A New Leaf", which could be considered vague, is a bit more clear than The Round Table. Is there any chance the section could be renamed back to Discussions and Debates or another name that is similar?

Just so no one has to click off the thread to see what I'm talking about
Spoiler:

Years
Love the new layout, my only concern is that The Round Table's name is no longer as concise as it could be while looking at it from the main page, if you look at each forum under "Off-Topic", each name has a somewhat defined message of what will be discussed within, even "A New Leaf", which could be considered vague, is a bit more clear than The Round Table. Is there any chance the section could be renamed back to Discussions and Debates or another name that is similar?

Just so no one has to click off the thread to see what I'm talking about
Spoiler:

I'll talk about it with Nah and the admins. I said much the same earlier so I think you have a point.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I can't say I'm a big fan of the Feedback sitting at the bottom of the forum. Anything to do with official aspects of the community (i.e. rules, feedback etc) should be front and centre followed by the Pokemon Gaming forums. I think the biggest issue however is the fact that the new users forum (Meet & Greet) is at the bottom of the index. This doesn't exactly pave a clear path for new users.

Other than that, I like the compaction of the off-topic and pokemon gaming sections; just the index order is what seems slightly out-of -whack to me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I can't say I'm a big fan of the Feedback sitting at the bottom of the forum. Anything to do with official aspects of the community (i.e. rules, feedback etc) should be front and centre followed by the Pokemon Gaming forums. I think the biggest issue however is the fact that the new users forum (A New Leaf) is at the bottom of the index. This doesn't exactly pave a clear path for new users.

Other than that, I like the compaction of the off-topic and pokemon gaming sections; just the index order is what seems slightly out-of -whack to me
New users forum is still called "Meet and Greet", like before. A New Leaf is something completely different. Check them out! (:

Kinda bad if there's a confusion between the two though. Perhaps A New Leaf needs a more descriptive forum name?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
New users forum is still called "Meet and Greet", like before. A New Leaf is something completely different. Check them out! (:

Kinda bad if there's a confusion between the two though. Perhaps A New Leaf needs a more descriptive forum name?

Yeah, I just finished correcting what I had said before you did haha. With that said, the name itself could probably use some revision but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

edit: it also seems quite counter-productive to have the Bulletin Board, a place for announcements (which you want people to see immediately/asap) is down the bottom even if a portion of it is at the top.

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
i want to note that ive found myself avoiding off topic simply bc i dont want to deal with that mess of subforums whereas before i would always click into treehouse to see whats up. also i keep forgetting to hit up UG and New Leaf bc they are small and hidden so yknow. pokemon general's in a pretty sweet place tho. aaaand that's all the sections i care abt rlly so thats what im seeing

oh and i like that challenges made it into Play Together bc that makes way more sense

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i'm still not very satisfied with the layout..but i think it's just because i despise change, especially if it's a change this large. but..ah well. i'll just have to get used to it, i guess.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Speaking of off-topic, can we install a max height on the splash image? As it is, you have to scroll past a massive image, and then all the subforums before seeing content in The Treehouse proper.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
Speaking of off-topic, can we install a max height on the splash image? As it is, you have to scroll past a massive image, and then all the subforums before seeing content in The Treehouse proper.

Usually they're a lot smaller than that, so I apologise.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
so off-topic looks much better now (the 'last post' thing is a great functionality), but the index is still messy. the inconsistency between how forums are displayed is really really jarring - the pokémon forums at the top are laid out differently to the off-topic ones at the bottom for example.

i quite like the concept but it definitely needs to be tidied up a bit. i'd also like to point out that, with forum descriptions gone, names like "a new leaf" and "the round table" don't mean anything at all to the average new user

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
While I can't speak for the gurus who maintain the boards, idk if there's really a way to fix that? The Pokemon boards are organized in such a way that there's really not that many Pokemon gaming forums and you can get away with displaying them horizontally like that. With Off-topic, because of the sheer number of forums, if they were displayed in a similar manner, wouldn't you risk breaking like every fixed-width theme PC has?

i'm not sure what the problem you're seeing is. there are only two more off-topic forums than there are pokémon ones and there's definitely room (at least on the style and device i'm viewing from right now) to fit more into the pokémon sections. exactly two more, to be specific. i don't think it'd break anything - and even if it did end up being huge anyway, it's right at the bottom of the forum so it's not like it's pushing anything too far away

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
sort out not being able to view the fan games category and see all the child forums and ill love you forever

also can it just be called fan games and not fan-made games plz

Back