• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you pronounce 'Pokémon'?

Years
  • I see a mix of either pokay-mon, pohkuh-mon or pokee-mon, but the third honestly seems to be more common when I hear it spoken by others out loud.

How do you say it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Po-kay-mon. Belts it out in the anime's original theme song. Stuck.

gyaru

agepoyo ✩
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 19, 2022
    Even though I try my best to pronounce it the way it's supposed to be pronounced (po-kay-mon), I always say pokeemon xD

Years
  • Heyy I remember this topic. I'm still the same I think with how I pronounce it. Po-keh-mon (like how S1 Ash Ketchum/narrator said it) for life~

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Pronounced it po-kee-mon most of my life. Eventually started pronouncing it as po-c'mon, almost dropping the e entirely.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    /pow.ki.mon/ "poh-kee-mon" in English (yes, the transcription should be different, but ESL accents).

/po.ke.mõ/ "poh-kay-mon" without that "y" sound and without actually pronouncing that n in Portuguese, which is my native language. It's also more or less how it's pronounced in Japanese.

I suppose the original pronunciation was supposed to follow the Japanese pronunciation (hence the é, to mimic the é sound in café or resumé) but I guess someone in the Poké-Rap didn't get the memo and things went from there.

Years
  • In my head I'm more pokay-mon, but irl I feel like I can alternate between that and pokee-mon because the latter just rolls off the tongue so much better. It's just a lot more comfortable to say even if it sounds weird/wrong. A lot of kids tend to say pokee-mon as well as adults that don't know the franchise much. It's pretty clear it's still the more popular pronunciation even with longtime fans though lol.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • The way that I say it when it comes out my mouth is "pokey mon." I remember those days when the adults used to call it "Pokeman." That's still funny until this day. lol

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • It's Po-keh-mon for me. Pretty close to the JP but the "mon" part sounds more like English monster than Japanese "mon".

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • I said Po-key-mon as a kid, and I still say it out of habit pretty often. I'm trying to lean more towards Po-keh-mon though because it's closer to how other languages would pronounce é.

Back