• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious How do you respond to tragedy?

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What is your process for dealing with traumatic events - how does it differ for events more directly related to you vs what you might see play out on a local/national scale?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm lucky enough to not have encountered many tragedies in life. The worst I can remember was probably when I got a call from dad saying my sister was unconscious in hospital. I had an important exam an hour after the call and I was borderline crying the whole time and panicking. I basically broke down from worry until I finally got to meet her when she had woken up. (She's fine today, but has to go on meds for the rest of her life)

If that's anything to go by, apparently I consciously cease to function when my family is in danger, but subconsciously apparently keep alright since I did pass the exam in the end O.o

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't really know?
    I've generally responded with stoicism I guess? Depending on the degree of the tragedy and to the extent it affects me personally my reactions can range from being numb to the event or just bottling things away until they eat me alive.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • It depends on the event itself, but usually I feel very apprehensive. I tend to worry more towards things that affect me personally, but still feel concerned when its something that is on a national or global scale. I think of all the possible outcomes and everyone who was a victim or involved and put myself in their shoes. What if this happened to me personally? I'm usually more empathetic towards events that happen to me or people I actually know, but even if national or local, I can at least show a a little sympathy.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I don't. I have a tendency to completely shut down during trauma/tragedy.

Years
  • I've had a fair amount of trauma and I notice that it only really starts to impact me after the fact. When my grandparents died, I didn't feel much upon hearing the news, but after a while I started to miss them, I still do, because they were always there, and now they aren't. No more trips across the maritmes, no summers at the cottage, I really miss it.

Years
  • Like Fairy, same. I'm very bad at handling such things and will just start panicking and withdraw. Fortunately I've also not encountered many events that could be considered a tragedy, but I'm already the type to hyperfocus and get upset as a result over events that are more minor in the grand scheme of things sometimes....... /:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    All is dust - so why bother with it? Unbalanced emotions are nothing but weakness. If you love too much, you'll suffer. If you hate too much, you'll also suffer. The healthiest option is to accept things and move on. Tragedy nowdays is just an overused word.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I can only really cry at my own tragedies. I don't know why. I lost a grandparent months ago, and I didn't shed a single tear.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pretty well actually. I might grieve privately for a short period of time, but after a week I've usually accepted it.

However at funerals I get heavily chocked up. We had a funeral a few months late after a family death, and while I felt like I had long accepted the tragedy, I still cried at the funeral.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • If it's something personal, I tend to bury it and become quite indifferent. If it is a tragedy that affects people I do not know then I will usually tear up for a moment, send a silent prayer, and move on.

Years
  • I'm not a touchy-feely type of person. I rarely cry, I only cry under periods of intense stress. I usually have a delayed reaction to tragedy if it affects me. I won't feel anything until well after it's already happened and then it will hit me. When it comes to the tragedy of others I can sympathize and feel bad for them but rarely will I cry.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I tend to be quite emotionless in all honesty. I take a very long time to process things and in times of strife I may begin to seek isolation, I often grow despondent and become emotionally unavailable. My emotions tend to come crashing into me quite later. When I lost my dog I didn't feel intense sorrow until about three months after. It seems rather weird but I have trouble accepting and acknowledging the loss of life. I do consider myself very religious but in times of loss I even isolate myself from God.

I haven't dealt with a lot of loss in my life but when I have experienced it I tend to not know how to properly address my emotions and so I push them aside. Which is quite interesting because I generally am very emotional.

Last edited:
    Back