• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How healthy is your relationship with your parents?

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
Years
  • I have a good relationship with both my mom and dad. I do find them a bit overprotective of me, though, and that's my main gripe about them.

Genegerbread

Pokemon Argent Tear Storywriter
    Years
  • I think my relationship with my mother and father are actually very good, especially me being fourteen.

My mother is a very nice person, don't get me wrong, but when she gets upset, she'll get really upset. Of course, as I've become older and understood the concepts of responsibility and being appropriate much better, she hasn't really gotten as upset. Also, I absolutely hate it when she always comments on 'how tall I've grown' or 'my broad shoulders'. Frankly, I do have broad shoulders because of my dad, and I'm about 5'8, but it still annoys me. When she was a child, her parents abused her, and I only found out in 2014 when my parents and her parents had a huge argument. They called my father some slang for someone who was from the deep south and stupid (because he was born in Mississippi), and they called me on my birthday, crying and telling me that my mother had issues, which she obviously didn't. I love my mother a lot.

My father is a big teddy bear. He's about 6'2 and he's really strong, so he can be intimidating, but he makes a ton of really good jokes and we sometimes look at each other and kind of smirk when my mom says or does something annoying or funny. He was in the army for thirty years, so I know plenty of tricks, and he's just like the Brigadier General he retired as. He can be very strict, and you shouldn't underestimate him, but I love him a ton.

I'm usually a straight-A student, my lowest grade in all of middle school being an 85 (in a high school Biology class) and my second lowest being a 90. They usually reward me because of my accomplishments. I'm thankful to live with the family I have. One thing I like is that I am a very persuasive person. I never really whine about anything, but I actually write essays to get my parents to temporarily help pay for a server or something until I start earning a sufficient amount of money at a constant rate.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    My parents have done so much for me and I am so grateful to them. But only recently has it started to show.

My mom and I get along really well, she loves to talk to me all about my personal problems and wants only for my life to improve so it's nice knowing somebody out there cares. My dad and I used to almost never agree but now I get along with him pretty well, we have a very similar sense of humour as it turns out so we can make each other laugh.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I get along well with both my parents. My mom is kind of out there but I've found a way to communicate with her that works for the both of us. Someone the other day told me they saw my dad as a gentle giant which I found hilarious. He's literally the iron giant status right now

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • My mom: I am close to her. Not as close as she'd like me to be, but I have my reasons for that. She is extremely supportive though in a lot of my choices and my sexuality and my mental issues (as in she helps me get through them and whatnot) but she does belittle me a lot as well is that makes sense..with my independence and how I act bc I act more like a child sometimes than 18 (like with toys and stuff) but she's still my mom and I like to think we're close.

My dad: My dad is a different story, though. He did a lot of bad things to my mom (such as abuse, mental, emotional and sometimes physical) and even though they're divorced now and it was 3 years ago or so that they got divorced and the abuse finally ended, I still haven't forgiven him for what he's done. My mom somehow has which..I dunno how, but she did..I think my dad knows I don't like him so he tries his best to communicate with me and be a good father but I still haven't forgiven him for what he's done. Maybe someday I can forgive him but as for now, our relationship is very strained and one-sided.

Years
  • What relationship? It's better that we don't talk because we only argue and don't see eye-to-eye on anything. Plus I get nothing but criticism. Like:

"Hi."
    "Hi."
    "... are you really wearing those shoes?"

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    I'd say I got a pretty good relationship with my parents. The fact that they're letting me live with them rent free is pretty nice. That and they help me when I ask for it when they can.

Years
  • I think like a few others mentioned, there was a rocky phase of my relationship with my parents but once I moved out, things improved greatly. I'm going on holiday with them for a few weeks tomorrow haha

Unison the Keldeo E-27

[Moved Back to my Original Account]
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    My mother has always been there for me. She helped me through depression after my dad gave up on me and my family, so I have struggled. To this day, I still struggle, but I've never given up and at least my mother has been there for me. I'd say my relationship with my mother is fine, except between me and my dad there's just nothing since he doesn't want to see me anymore.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I've got a great relationship with my parents now that I moved out. That's not to say that it was bad when I lived at home, but I needed a little more freedom than just my one corner in the house and also my mom made me feel like I needed to spend time with her 24/7. Now that I'm on my own I make designated time with them and it works a lot better.

Lucid

I've forgiven my mom for a lot of stuff, but it's more for me then for her, because deep down, I honestly don't think she feels she's ever done anything wrong as a parent ever. I've gone years without speaking to her, but I'm at the point in my life where I've let go of a lot and really enjoy harmonious relationships. She's also getting older and her health isn't that great. I can't change the past or her as a person, so I'm just trying to enjoy the relationship I have with her now. She is there for me when she can be these days, to an extent, and that's enough for me. My dad died when I was 2 so we never had much of a relationship.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    my parents are wonderful & amazing and try extremely hard for their disabled child and her awkward brain; they're accepting, understanding, and incredibly providing. they try their hardest for me. but there's no way they're ever going to be perfect, and our relationship is naturally flawed to the nature of my personality & mental health... if it weren't for that, we'd get along perfectly. i suppose our relationship has it's ups and downs; i'm completely dependent on them and love them very much but in some ways they make it worse while also making it better. idek, man.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • My parents? Honestly, we have a...rocky relationship. Both are borderline abusive, and piss me off, so we just all ignore eachother. I like my mom more than my dad since my father is sexist, bigtoed, etc. But it's not healthy, nah. We all ignore eachother, and they pay more attention to our cat than my siblings and I.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    It's alright! There are definitely way more days where I get along well with my parents than ones that leave me feeling frustrated or upset with them. Last year my relationship with my parents wasn't great though, I don't think we understood each other and that lead to a lot of arguing and a lot of insults getting thrown about which was terrible. I have felt bitter towards them in the past for always setting the bar really high for me in terms of work and school but I appreciate that their desire for me to do well has helped me land things like a place in top schools or scholarship interviews. I love and respect my parents for the most part but we definitely have our bad days and that's fine.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    My parents are two wonderful people and have raised me right. They trust me which makes the parent/kid bond even stronger. I know I can always rely on them for anything. They are the greatest.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • As others have said, my relationship with my parents was rocky until I moved out. I got tired of them trying to control me in where I go, then call me a tagalong or a third-wheel when they invited me to join them somewhere. When I wanted to be independent they blocked my car in and/or rearranged cars and argued every weekend morning to prevent me from going out when I've thought myself to be the most responsible goody two-shoes the world has seen. Currently, I like visiting them 1-2 times a week. They're always happy to talk now that they don't see me 24/7. We don't agree in much, but I respect them and hope they've learned to respect me as an adult.

Individually though:
    Mom - my most rocky relationship between the two because she thought I was taking attention away from her whenever my dad paid attention to me, which really hurt me. It leads me to isolate myself from all people knowing that I couldn't have solid conversations with dad nor with mom. She goes out of her way to help me for school and financial stability because she lost both of her parents at 17. She can turn on others when she feels left out or inadequate; it's an insecurity she has never faced.
    Dad - he's quiet and distant, often preferring to keep to himself, but in time he's one of the most caring people ever. He would be the kind of person to give you the shirt on his back if you needed a shirt. I've never seen him angry nor upset; his mellowness is comforting in its own right. Yet it does make him slow to recognize when you need a hug, but it'll be the best hug ever.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2016
    Well I never knew my dad because he up and left my mom and me when I was an infant and she has no idea where he is or if he is in the country or even alive. I could careless really about him. Now my mom is the greatest in the whole entire world. Not only did she raise me on her own she also managed to finish Business school open a Hair Salon and now has 3 Salons in which she is the owner of. She takes very good care of me and I know I can be a total brat sometimes. She is strict when I deserve it, but she is also loads of fun as there isn't a day that goes by that we don't laugh and do something goofy together. Now that I just turned a teenager you may think are relationship might turn sour, but I know who I am always going to go to for good advice when I need it. That is my mom. She has been there done that with this teen thing even though it was ages ago. :)

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • so healthy that i yell at my mom on the phone for being stupid and putting both my pets in danger by saying she might be moving back in with my father even though she knows he is not good for my dog and my dog stresses my cat out​

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • My mother sometimes scares me. Think of her as Nicole Watterson. She's sometimes nice, her behavior kind of shapes mine: because of her outbursts and things she claims about me, I'm slowly becoming more pessimistic. She frequently belittles me when it comes to even simple mistakes, and even just one insult is enough to depress me for, like, the entire day. But we sometimes get along. It's alright. Because of how regularly she puts me down, I'm afraid of telling her my problems, my plans, and my wishes. I want to go to a therapist because of her so bad. SO BAD.

As for my father, he's much more gentle, and, as a result, I find him less threatening than my mother. Even though he's drowsy most of the time, I admire his intelligence compared to my mother's.

Midi

Charming Ghost~
    Years
  • Until I stopped going to school, things were really rocky between me and my mother. So much so that it impacted my work in a bad way and I had to see a councilor just so I wouldn't feel so stressed. But now that we don't have school to worry about, I get along with her just fine, like a lot of other members here have said. I know my mother meant well by pushing me, but her efforts missed more than it hit, and it impacted our relationship pretty heavily as a result.

As for my father, I don't know what it'll be like if I ever meet him again. I was too young to completely remember him when he left, and the closest thing I've had to a father since then is my awesome grandfather. But if we do meet again, I hope the relationship will be good.

Back