• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How important is trainer customization to you in a Pokémon game?

Trainer customization has been around since gen 6. Although not extensive, you could choose between a few different skin tones, and varying hairstyle and clothing options were available later in the game as well. These features have been around in all main series games since then.

How important are customization features to you? Do you change your hairstyle and clothing from the default at any point in the game, or do you not put much focus on it and just stick with the default? Do you like making your character look like yourself if possible?

Years
    I wait till I have enough money to just throw something random together and then use that =p
    I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to it. I often even forget to change anything at all xD

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I like the feature, even though I find myself playing the games without customization more often. I just wish it was more extensive, like Miis (various eye shapes, height/weight adjustment, etc.). I usually try to make my character look as much like myself as possible, but the hairstyles are usually lacking, the clothes are inconsistent (I want my regular jeans back from XY!), and we still don't have options for facial hair.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    character creation/customization is often a big plus for me, so I like that it became a thing in Pokemon and seems here to stay

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Mildly important. Varies on the character's initial appearance. Arguably looks forward to clothing stores the most in towns. Ranks up there with evolutionary stones (if needed) and sometimes TMs. Spends money on little else.

Plunked down the cash with better uses available too. Assigned Pokedollar values to in-game benefits (level cap, party size, acquiring new Pokemon, and so on) for a Moon challenge run. Sacrificed 11435 Pokedollars with no regrets.

Based some styles on personal appearance, some on Yin (avatar), and some separate from both for something different.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I like it but I only really use it on Sword and Shield. Like, I like the concept of it, but the execution ends up feeling a bit meh to me.

Maybe if we had more extensive character creation before entering the game I'd care more, idk.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I like having character customization, but it's not the end of the world if there are limited options. I've made my player characters look like myself, but I've also kept them with their default look - most notably in LGPE, because Elaine already resembles a mini-me, and in my second run of US/UM, where I was not playing as myself. I also believe X/Y still has the best character customization system by far; none of the later games, except perhaps Sw/Sh, have managed to surpass it in quality.

I do wish we had more varied hairstyle options, because again, I haven't been able to replicate my usual hairstyle in a Pokémon game since X/Y. In addition, it would be nice if we had options for more than two layers and scarves, especially in colder regions. (I still resent the fact we don't have any long kimono and cloak/coat options in PLA... the MC looks so bare!)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm one of those that could take it or leave it. It's not that big of a deal to me because it has no effect on the gameplay. I did do more outfit changes in Legends though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I now see it as essential. But I wish that trainer customization wasn't so gender locked. That's one thing I hope changes in Scarlet/Violet that it's not so restrictive with whether we play the boy or girl.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    I'll always customise my character if the option is available, but I don't consider it an integral part of the game. I won't stop playing older Pokémon games simply because there is no customisation.

Years
    • Seen today
    Usually not as important as expensive. But yeah, I definitely like this feature (especially when I don't like the default costume design) so as long as I have enough in-game currency to spare I do buy new clothes.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't care much about customization. I'll change my character slightly and stick with it for most of the game.

I will look at all the clothing options, but it's more out of curiosity than 'must have'.

Years
    very important!

in every pokemon game where customization is possible, i've always taken the opportunity to do so. i like making my protag unique to me and making her fashionable as it adds to the experience and makes things more fun. n.n i can only hope future pokemon games expand upon this further by adding more hairstyles and clothing options!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I don't pay much attention to it either as I just happily accept the skinstone and just few hats and bags that's all about it

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I love being able to customize my trainers! The feature is adorable and it's always nice to be able to sorta "play" a different character. I like playing as a super pastel Fairy trainer, or a grunge punk Dark type trainer, or a hyper athletic Fighting type trainer, or wearing earthy, floral outfits and being a Grass/Bug trainer! :D

Back