• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much coding / programming experience do you have, if any?

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
  • How much coding / programming experience do you have, if any?

It's okay if you don't, but if you do, how many coding languages do you know? (actually know, not just heard of it.)

And have you created any apps / games? The platform doesn't matter, by the way.

For me,
    I know too much coding languages... I haven't sold or freely distributed any apps / games yet, but I'm working on an RPG for Windows, to be released on Google Play.

What about you?

Years
  • HTMl/CSS are easy, but anything else is just alien language.

Mainly because I'm self taught.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Replying, but I will also move this to the internet and technology section as that's a better spot for it :)

I know Javascript/Typescript, Ruby, Crystal, HTML/CSS, PHP, and Java. I can also find my way around C, C#, Python, and Rust, though I've not used them extensively. I've made a lot of small experimental websites such as a Pokedex builder for ROM hacks and a formatter for discord chat logs. I also made the bot that's currently on our Discord, Porygon, and work on developing this site itself. I don't do much on the Game Dev side anymore, but I am playing around with a small project in Godot when I have time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can program in Java, C# and Python and know some basics of HTML/CSS and Javascript. I also work with Scratch, Microsoft MakeCode, and some other block-based languages that I use with variety of robotic toys.

I used to teach Java and now teach Python to university students and Scratch and MakeCode/MicroPython (or Micro:bit as a whole) on an elementary school. My whole programming portfolio is full of educational projects. I made an app for teaching algorithms and data structures and now I'm working on Micro:bit textbook. I also help my girlfriend with her Ozobot textbook, but I'm not sure if that can be considered as programming in the same sense as the rest of the list.

Momoro

Years
  • I can program in Java, C# and Python and know some basics of HTML/CSS and Javascript. I also work with Scratch, Microsoft MakeCode, and some other block-based languages that I use with variety of robotic toys.

I used to teach Java and now teach Python to university students and Scratch and MakeCode/MicroPython (or Micro:bit as a whole) on an elementary school. My whole programming portfolio is full of educational projects. I made an app for teaching algorithms and data structures and now I'm working on Micro:bit textbook. I also help my girlfriend with her Ozobot textbook, but I'm not sure if that can be considered as programming in the same sense as the rest of the list.

Oooh, that's a lot of experience!

Yeah, I think that Ozobot textbook counts!😄

Replying, but I will also move this to the internet and technology section as that's a better spot for it :)

I know Javascript/Typescript, Ruby, Crystal, HTML/CSS, PHP, and Java. I can also find my way around C, C#, Python, and Rust, though I've not used them extensively. I've made a lot of small experimental websites such as a Pokedex builder for ROM hacks and a formatter for discord chat logs. I also made the bot that's currently on our Discord, Porygon, and work on developing this site itself. I don't do much on the Game Dev side anymore, but I am playing around with a small project in Godot when I have time.

Wow! That's a lot 😃

The extent of my knowledge is the "if" commands that make up the Gambit system in FF12.

😂

HTMl/CSS are easy, but anything else is just alien language.

Mainly because I'm self taught.

I'm self taught as well, and I find any languages I don't know to be alien as well.

But after a little while, I realize I have to learn it 😁

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm using C/C++ and Delphi at work. Although, I love glossing over the latter unless I can find someone who is willing to talk about how much of a scam it is.

I used to learn C# and Java a couple yeas ago, but find myself trying to avoid them as best as I can. I also used to do a bunch of simple Python projects but don't really find time for that anymore.

I'd like to say that I have a vry basic understanding about Haskell and some sort of Assembler but that would be a lie. Even after years of trying they still manage to elude me.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm a front end developer. My job is all about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Momoro

Years
  • I work professionally with C/C++, Python, SQL (using Postgres currently), and I've also used some C# to replicate GPS output on a Raspberry Pi.

I also am familiar with a few web languages. PHP, CSS, HTML, basic JavaScript, Node, React, and AJAX. As for shell languages, I frequently use Bash, ZSH, and occasionally Fish.

As for other frameworks, I've worked with Postgres, MySQL (database), Unity, Godot (game development), QGIS (GIS framework), ROS (robot operating system), Gtk, Qt, WinForms, Xamarin (desktop/mobile GUI dev kits), and probably a few others I am forgetting.

As for projects that I've worked on, I have the actual work I do for my job which currently entails developing autonomous robotic platforms used for radiation detection in areas deemed not safe for human traffic (military testing sites). That project I have developed the actual USB driver for the radiation detectors and the software used to configure them (backend developed purely in C++ with the frontend in C++/Qt). I also wrote up several python scripts used in conjunction with QGIS for getting survey areas created and also a GUI for the management of the actual robots. The last being the actual management of the various ROS nodes and code that controls the local network the entire system runs on (managing the robots, workstations, and server by their IP addresses).

Another current project would be the Linux distribution that I am a developer for. We are currently attempting to write an Arch installer from scratch as well as several userland tools to assist users (it's essentially a distro to give easy access to Arch without changing too much of the default Arch experience). That's currently using a good bit of Python (main language), Gtk (for the GUI frontend), Bash (for the actual backend), and Matplotlib (for a chart creation tool for partition managing).

And another project is attempting to develop a system that will help companies that work in managing iron welds (I really don't know how to explain that better). It's essentially moving their current system that is handled entirely on paper and Microsoft Excel to a dedicated server setup utilizing a Postgres database and a GUI application that is currently being prototyped in Qt/Python, but we will be more than likely moving it to C#/Xamarin.

As for my final current project, I actually try to do some work here on the forum (in addition to trying to manage this section of the forum). Xorn/Dakota will yell at me because I'm horribly inactive, but I'm hopefully going to be getting a new job by the end of the month. :)

As for other projects, I've developed a 2D Zelda clone in Godot (I can post a video of this later), a 3D "RPG", and a 3D FPS in Unity using VR. I've also developed a few startup websites that...didn't really go anywhere. And one of my personal favorites was developing a custom liquor dispensing system (similar to those Coke machines that have several flavor options). That one was done using C#/Gtk and a Raspberry Pi for its GPIO pins hooked up to some relay switches that controlled the power to some pumps. It didn't really get past the prototype stage, but it was really fun to work on.

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but I also have a Bachelor's in Software Engineering and a Master's in Computer Science with a focus on Human Computer Interaction.

TL;DR, I'm a nerd

😱 You have a lot more experience than me- a lot. Although I'm planning to at some point go to college for Software Engineering and Computer Science!

Probably enough of a language to write Hello World and nothing more

Used to be me, it's alright 😄

I can use premade scripts, but writing my own? A dog would have more success.

😨 Writing scripts is my life and breath.

I'm a front end developer. My job is all about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Oooh, nice! I like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript too!

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
  • I know quite a lot of GML. its a gamemaking engine that is actually pretty simple and i usually make stuff on it for about 1/2 of an hour every day.

I only ever made 1 application for it, and i never released it to the public.
    I started using GML when i was only 9 :P . when i was that age i just looked up tutorials for everything, and didnt understand the actual language myself.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I have the absolute very basics when it comes to coding and that's pretty much HTML and CSS. I can't make my own codes but I can take a code and alter it to what I need. I also bought a book several years ago on How To Do HTML. Other than that I have no clue....lol.

Years
  • i remember failing so hard in coding class in high school when i couldn't make something even as simple as a basic website with functioning buttons. so don't ever give me any web dev tasks unless you wanna crash and burn.

funnily enough, i've learned the most CSS coding through Pokecommunity, trying my damned hardest to get my flair to look exactly how i want it lmao (it still isn't btw, but i got too tired of staring at w3schools for hours on end that i just settled for what you see now).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i used to know html pretty decently and could make basic layouts and stuff. thank u neopets and myspace... kind of sucks that there's not really any sites that encourage learning things like that anymore. at least, none that are super active anyway. like back in the day we had neopets and myspace, but then facebook doesn't really provide any customization options and twitter's are bare minimum. the latter used to have more options, but still, not that much. i recall youtube being more customizable years ago too. and then there's tumblr that's still around but it's definitely no where near as popular as it once was so i can't really count that tbh. so yeah it just seems like there's not much chance to learn those kinds of things now.

anyway i did major in computer science for a semester lol i was ass at coding...i don't even remember what language it was but i was so bad at it. i went to tutoring for it literally every opportunity that i got. i think i was just. unteachable, it wasn't clicking. i was literally so bad that my tutor eventually just discreetly typed to me during a session "i'm just going to give you my old code for this class. just make sure to change some of the words used." so i did that slkfjdsl and like i would turn in my assignments and my teacher would always leave snide comments like "this is good. too good." skalfjdslaf god...it was so bad. i don't know wtf i was thinking in majoring in that. literally a wasted semester. i paid out of pocket for myself that semester though so i mean. hey...at least i paid for my own mistake ig?

Years
  • I used html/css/javascript mostly as a hack for flairs and personal projects (trying to create a webdex in github but that's in hiatus atm lmao)

My main language is c++, java, c# and recently zmq. I've worked in developing 4g nbiot simulations, that mixed with 5g, etc. Now im in a completely different field where we're making an application for high speed high volume financial trading. Also have a fangame in the works that might use c#. :eyes:

I used to play with r and python but I don't have that much time for machine learning and social computing anymore ;( was fun though

I can't say I'm good but I definitely know how to google my way through some situations.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I can literally do some css but just barely. That's the extent of what i can do, I can do maybe a post flair and change colors on a tumblr theme, but not much else. <_< I wish I knew coding, but I just...don't.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I can literally do some css but just barely. That's the extent of what i can do, I can do maybe a post flair and change colors on a tumblr theme, but not much else. <_< I wish I knew coding, but I just...don't.

If you're interested in coding, there are lots of great beginners tutorials out there for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or pretty much whatever else you might want to learn.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Only CSS and HTML. I knew a little php, but that's about it.
    Had to pick a lot of it up, when I had a few websites or had to do some website based projects when studying. It's a ton of fun.

Back