• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I am an adult

Spiff

love child
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Today I wrote a check. Wrote a check - that is something adults do. Probably. I also make house payments, and put up drywall. Sometimes I even read the newspaper. What a great time in my life.

So Pokecommunity, when did you first realize you were an adult? Do you miss being a kid? And for you youngsters, do you look forward to growing up?

Sirfetch’d

Generic answer but...the day I started college. It just hit me that "wow I am no longer a kid"

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Probably when I started college as well since I was forced to be responsible for myself for the most part.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • When I realized...I'm graduating high school. I'm going to be in the real world working.

I refuse to believe I'm not a child anymore, though, so my post is literally invalid.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    By some definitions I would be considered an adult. I'm 22 years old, I have a Bachelor's degree, I drink, and I make the occasional credit card payment (which usually is pretty small cuz I don't use it much).

But I wouldn't really consider myself a true adult. I still live at home with my parents and have yet to find employment. And I think that living on your own and having long-term employment (that actually allows to to live on your own), and everything that comes with those things, is what really makes someone an adult.

I'm certainly not a kid anymore. Kids aren't 22 with a college degree. But it's more like I'm in some in-between thing between kid and adult.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    By some definitions I would be considered an adult. I'm 22 years old, I have a Bachelor's degree, I drink, and I make the occasional credit card payment (which usually is pretty small cuz I don't use it much).

But I wouldn't really consider myself a true adult. I still live at home with my parents and have yet to find employment. And I think that living on your own and having long-term employment (that actually allows to to live on your own), and everything that comes with those things, is what really makes someone an adult.

I'm certainly not a kid anymore. Kids aren't 22 with a college degree. But it's more like I'm in some in-between thing between kid and adult.

That's pretty much how I'd describe myself, my mum still buys me Jelly Beans.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • I'm not an adult yet :3
    Prolly will feel like one when I get my debit card later this year.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I don't think I ever did. To be honest, I hate being considered one. It just doesn't seem to fit me. I've always struggled with having special needs because people treat me the way I'm supposed to act. Thing is, I can't act that way without my anxiety giving me a horrible time. So, I don't know really know the answer.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I look forward to adulthood. Teen years seem to be awkward because people expect you to act like an adult, and when you can't fulfill their standards, you are considered a kid. I dislike the constant change from "being mature" to a "kid." One second, I made the highest grade on the Spanish exam (for reals) and I am called "mature" and then I argue with my sister for like half a minute and I am suddenly a "kid." I am already doing stuff my parents never did and they expect me to act like an adult, but call me a kid. I AM NEITHER. Just because I play pokemon and video games in my free time, and dont enjoy sports, does not mean I am a lazy kid. I work my butt off all day during school and deserve a break sometimes. I can't wait until I am an adult.

But then I have to pay taxes and crap...

Years
  • I knew 2010 was going to be the year I was moving to the scary phase of adulthood, and that is the phase I am in. Some adult who can't seem to adjust to the lifestyle of one as far as my mind is concerned.

Years
  • 4 years ago, when I started working away from hometown, when I finally started to feel independent. I wasn't living in my own house, but still I was helping with bills. This year especially, when I moved on my own, started to pay full bills, went to other country for better money. I've been supportive to my mother for much longer though, only financially when got the job. For the four years I'm still in the same company. Everything I achieved is only my own doing. Mother couldn't support me, because she's ill, father wasn't living with me and refused to help me when I finished high school. He only gave me money for the "start". I doubt I'll go to uni/college in nearest future.

Last edited:

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    the day I stop living with a roommate is the day I'll consider myself an adult.

for now, I am a legal adult who still has to rely on people. ;c

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • When I used my bank account for the first time for something else than saving money. The fact the bought items were college books probably helped too.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I guess it was the first time I moved out of my parents place, albeit I moved in with a friend. The realisation that I actually had bills and rent to pay, eep. Needless to say, I was pretty unprepared, but I managed.

Do I miss being a kid? Of course. Such little responsibility, like the hardest decision I had to make as a child was Squirtle, Bulbasaur or Charmander..

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    In certain ways, probably since I was a kid thanks to various fun little life circumstances. On a grander scale, I think somewhere between graduating from college for the first time, going to my second college, and moving out on my own only to realize "aww, crap, I've gotta pay all the bills now,". The situation at school is also a reality check from time to time. Although I'm not the oldest student by any means, I tend to be one of the older students in most of my classes and am lucky if I find others within a year or two of my age range. I got really lucky last semester and ran into two great friends, 24 and 26, who are both just coming to terms with the fact that they're adults now too.

Life is stressful at times because you don't always get what you want - I wanted to swing a summer semester this year but money was otherwise occupied by rent and bills and all that fun stuff. Despite those hassles that being an adult demands, it's cool to be more in control of my life than I've ever been and feel like I'm at a better place than ever before. I have a pretty clear outlook on where I'll (hopefully) be within a year or two and am finally fitting into a niche of my own in regards to what I want to do with my life.

But yeah, if you're not careful and try to grow up too fast, childhood will pass you the heck up and that's something you really don't want. Although there's a limited sense of freedom and a lot of growing, it's great to have that ability to make mistakes in your life and realize you have people to fall back on if things go south. Depending on your family and friends you'll probably have that as an adult as well but it's definitely a bitter pill to swallow if you realize that you're not quite ready to get out there on your own and be a contributing member to society as an adult.

But on the bright side, it's pretty awesome to come home and realize that you have this strange new place to call home thanks to your abilities as an adult and junk like that. Also it's pretty cool to indulge in things without judgement from others around you - I'm an avid book buyer, though I've had to tone that down lately in hopes of getting a decent savings going for myself.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • I considered myself very immature for the past 2 years but thank god I changed now and I think I'm mature enough now (i think)

Anyway, I guess it's when I finally enter uni that I'll start to feel like an adult.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I still have yet to really feel like an adult, but I guess I am one considering I moved out of my parents house. I don't know, I guess that I still have my parents helping me with a lot of financial and insurance questions, so I don't feel all that independent.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • 4 years ago I purchased a house. Before that it was studying at a university level. Before that it was graduating from high school. Where does it go next? I do not know for sure. Perhaps marriage...

Back