• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I can hear, see, and feel that you're teaching me, but am I really learning?

Years
    Are you more of a auditory learner (learn best by lectures), visual (learn by demonstration), or kinesthetic (learn best by being hands-on)?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Mostly kinesthetic! I can learn somethings visually but its so much easier for me when im doing something physical.

Meanwhile my mind wanders too much for auditory and i get bored extemely easily so.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'm more of auditory/visual learner. Most of the time, I can learn things just by listening. This baffled my teachers a lot because they always thought that I wasn't paying attention. Yet, I aced my tests and quizzes with no issue. I think a lot of it for me is because I also have poor eye contact. So, I've adapted to the idea of auditory rather than always going by visuals. It really depends on what I'm trying to learn. There are times when I process things better visually than auditory... so who knows.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    It depends what but probably best when I see something being done and also have examples so I can do it myself. Hated courses where there weren't any example questions available that I could use for learning. Theory is great and all but if I can't apply it to solve a problem or understand a problem, it's kinda pointless to me and not going to stick.

Years
    I learn pretty solidly all ways. I learn least effectively with auditory instruction and most effectively with kinesthetic instruction that *follows* visual instruction. Show me how to do something and then let me do it once or twice and then it's probably committed to memory.

Years
    I like to watch someone demonstrate something at least once or twice, but I'm much better at retaining stuff once I go through the motions myself. If I make mistakes - even better! I get a chance to learn from them.

Years
    Visual/Kinesthetic learner here!

I've learned over the years that as long as I'm shown how to do something and then be able to do it myself, I can manage fine. I can never learn auditory though because I just space out.

Last edited:

malanaphii

i'm about to monologue, son
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2023
    well, definitely not auditory - i can't pay attention for the life of me. i make pretty mindmaps & doodles to revise & when it's something i can physically do (like in computing or maths) then i definitely like to test it myself rather than just reading/hearing about how it works - so i guess pretty equally kinesthetic and visual

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
    Years
    I am an auditory learner. If i need to learn something by simply looking at it, it would take me forever...
    However if i use both my eyes and ears, then i can learn it in as fast as a minute!

Years
    tbh i also made this thread bc my math professor this semester switched to a more auditory teaching style than visual like he did last semester and it's gutting me hard rip

Years
    It will sound weird, but I learn best by teaching others. I can learn about something, but won't really get the whole context or know how to use it, but when I teach others, it all somehow clicks in the right places. It's quite visible as at one moment I have no idea what to say/do and in the next moment I speak like an expert in the field.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Visual learner, I think. I like to do a lot of mindmaps to see if I understand how all the concepts are interlinked and to have a nice, organised format of what I need to learn. It's the most effective way I've found for learning though I agree with Janp that having to teach it to someone helps a lot with your own personal understanding. I find that being quizzed a lot on the concepts also helps. Haven't ever been able to focus fully on what a teacher is saying but I get the general gist and then consolidate my notes and revise during my study to make sure I understand completely.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    with math, it can be either kinesthetic or auditory. everything else seems to be auditory though, i think. except for science, i really like hands on stuff with that.

Years
    Visual, but a conditional visual learner. I need a Doctor Seuss style tutorial, complete with cookies for when I get something right and a smack for when I fuck it up.

I'm positively hopeless at learning new things and it takes me a very long time to get familiar with a concept and a short time to forget it. Its gotten to the point where I shy away from offers to instruct me in something because its too embarrassing. People think I'm devastatingly slow and I rarely have a chance to prove them otherwise, aside from flaunt a large vocabulary garnered from too much writing. My intelligence is like a bat - it only comes out when no one is around and its always gone by morning.

But yeah, I like trying things by myself in a safe, quiet environment, except I usually get bitterly frustrated and fuck up a lot.

Back