• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i sat with the nerdy kids in school and loved it

Sirfetch’d

Which social group(s) were/are you a part of in high school?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    i was a nerd but i wanted so badly to be cool. it was an awful time tbh

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • In high school, I hung out with the emo kids. I wasn't emo myself... but they were really nice to me though. That's pretty much why I hung around them I guess. At the time, I thought they were pretty cool and funny as hell.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Closer to Daria & Jane than I would like to admit, but definitely well respected. Like... I was/am quite introverted and bother to didn't keep up with the social scene at school, but my opinions were always called upon and I had made a name for myself pretty early into my time there. Being a delightfully appealing bitch also helped. The teachers never really liked me but I was always nonetheless called upon to give speeches and represent the school and whatever. Mostly because my exceptional grades made up for any personality deficiencies they saw in me. I guess my social group was whoever would listen to me that day - I wasn't popular, but able to drift around and essentially do as I please. I had a core group of 4/5 friends and that was more than enough.

Of course, this was all contingent on me being closeted. Coming out in a small, religious school was just not the wave and I certainly had no interest in rocking the boat! Why trailblaze when I could, y'know, not!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Had this group of friends that always managed to have the same lunch period as I did the first two years of high school, so we all sat at the same table, and it was gloriously hilarious. First day of Sophomore year "okay, so where were we?".

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I was in with almost every group at least a little bit. I was part of the band and also was athletic my first two years, but I also talked to the people who liked anime and manga. And I was kind of depressed and listened to metal and punk/pop a lot so I hung out with the scene/emo kids every now and then too. Then my junior and senior year I was in relationships with two girls who were part of theatre so I got to know some of those people as well. I had and still have a bit of an identity crisis, wanting to do and be too many things at once.

I didn't exactly care for one group over the other however. They all had their moments of 'these guys/gals are pretty cool, I wouldn't mind being around them more often' and 'holy shit these people are weird/annoying/rude how the fuck did I get here'.

Years
  • I was part of a fairly big social group in high school that got progressively bigger and ended up spanning about three year levels by the time I left. We were all pretty unpopular/nerdy or some other form of reject but we weren't at the bottom of the totem pole either.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hung out with the popular kids- overachievers who basically comprised of the entire student council board. My high school was a bit odd in that the most popular kids were the ones who were best set on going to a top level university (We didn't hang out with anyone who wasn't in at least 2 extracurriculars or had a GPA lower than 3.5) rather than cheerleaders or football players who were actually looked down on most of the time.

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • So my "primary" group of friends was probably the nerd group, the weeaboos and whatnot. However I got around a lot. Since I went to a small mostly white school there were a table where the (like 7) African Americans sat and I was friends (and still am in fact) with most of them. During senior year I sat outside with the jocks many of who I'd play soccer with before. I'd hang out with the "popular" kids and I knew my way around a conversation with the overachievers. Really I was everywhere. Now to be fair I had a (from what I can tell by most standards) small school. My graduating class in high school was 99 students (granted you had an option to go to a trade school which a lot did). I don't know why but I always got along with everyone besides 3 people (in the whole school).

Years
  • The group I hung out with was the emo/scene kids. They were into all the same things I was and they were always very welcoming of new people. We always were bothered and made fun of by other groups in the school, but no one cared in the slightest. I remember when I first decided to sit at their table at lunch instead of sitting by myself. I made sure I got there pretty early so I could get there before most of the other people that way it would bring less attention to me. Then they asked my name and just acted like I was there since the beginning.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • honestly, at this point I think I've transcended any one social group, which I realize sounds kind of like a douchey, self-fellating thing to say but it's more or less true. I used to slot in with the kids that wanted to be the athletic jocks but were just too fuckin weird. now that I've completely dissociated myself from that, and have worked more on just Being Myself, I've found that people from pretty much any walk of life can easily engage in a dialogue with me and I have more friends (or casual acquaintances, really) than any. my main friend group right now is me, the #2 ranked kid in the class, a random semi-stoner / Cool Kid, and a kid that looks like he's 30 that's really abrasive. it sounds weird, but it's incredible. I'm having a good time.

Years
  • Im still in school anyways but....
    When I arrived into secondary school I was best friends with two girls from primary school. I hung out with them and then afterwards a new girl came. I hung out with that new girl and one of my primary school friends. I then persuaded my best friend who went to a different school to come to mine. She did. I then hung out with her and then the new girl and then another new girl arrived. Us three were in a group having beef with the " popular kids" who everyone liked and were part of the student council. Both sides finally grew up. I now hang out with two girls named Julia and Iqra who are awesome. We have common interests and we all get each other.

Years
  • I was a loner and kept to myself. Not because I hated everyone and everything, but because I preferred to be alone. For the most part, I'd get along with anyone if they talked to me or had to work with me. I'd say I got along better with nerdy kids, though.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • Back in secondary school I was literally friends with pretty much everyone so I could really hang out with any "group" I fancied. But I guess officially I hung out with the emos at one point and then I kinda hung out with the people who spent their lunch times in the library, because I was friends with them, so....
    Then when I went to 6th form most of my timetable consisted of Performing Arts so they were pretty much the only people I hung out with so I guess I was one of those "theatre nerds"
    And now I'm at university it's exactly the same. I'm an official theatre nerd and it's great.

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
    Years
  • I was a loner for the majority of my time at school, mostly due to the fact that I just wasn't liked much - rumours and a differing sexual orientation to the rest of the school can do that to a kid. I was among the highest achieving since I started secondary school all the way through to sixth form though, and my family were wealthy so the posh kids would usually try to involve me in their group.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Lol the vast majority of my high school class did not care for me. I was the weird, quiet girl who was ugly and bullied in middle school so needless to say that didn't transition to a big social circle in high school :P the people I hung around in high school were considered the nerds who tried to hard at school even though I never tried. They didn't care about the rumors or that other people didn't like me, they gave me a chance and I'm always grateful for that.

To be honest, my friends in high school were on here and at other schools, so I didn't care much about my status. I still actually had fun in spite of my approval ratings.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I was the guy that got along with everyone. I had a group closest to me, of course. Not really the nerds, but the closest any group in our school got to it. I wasn't very close to the majority, but I genuinely got along with everyone. It's a bit surprising since I've never been much of a talker, but I still was invited to all the parties and stuff like that. I guess it was partly because of myself and partly because of my circumstances at the time, probably. I remember fondly my friends from high school.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • When I was in school I sat and hang out with the other Metalheads.
    The small group of friends would meet at lunch, before school and after we would talk about metal music all the time

Back