• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Lyra or Kris

Lyra or kris

• Lyra

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Kris

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    after just a couple minutes in the 2nd gen section, I can see that everyone liked kris better, but I want to get the 4th gen opinion.

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
  • At first, I was really disappointed they switched Kris out for Lyra.

But you get used to it and while the designer claims to have made Lyra from scratch, the similarities in hairstyles to Kris is apparent.

Personally would've liked the HGSS approach and given Kris a new clothing scheme, but it's ehh. Kris looked bad in 8 bit style sprites anyways.

Years
  • I know I'd cop flack for this, but I actually like Lyra's design better. I never played Crystal but did get my Johto experience with HG/SS, plus Lyra's hair colour looks very close to my own.

Years
  • Can I actually just say.. none? =( I didn't like Kris' outfit and Lyra just wasn't memorable, especially for a new protagonist in G/S remakes, as I'd been expecting Kris to return since their announcement. Would've preferred we had Kris with a slightly updated design. Johto had my least favorite protagonists by far it seems like.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I have high respect for Kris, but I personally perfer Lyra. Odd outfit aside, I feel more people can visually relate to her. Rather then playing as a character that no one could match hair color with natually XD

Years
  • I think the reason behind the heavy disliking of Lyra is because her outfit makes people think of Mario, plus most of the Lyra-haters seem to love the nostalgia that Kris had in the original Crystal.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I never played G/S so I wouldn't know. Anyway, glad I got some opinions from you guys.

Years
  • I think the reason behind the heavy disliking of Lyra is because her outfit makes people think of Mario, plus most of the Lyra-haters seem to love the nostalgia that Kris had in the original Crystal.

She looks like Mario and Strawberry Shortcake with that stupid hat.
    You're right about the other thing, I don't like Lyra because she replaced Kris.

Imagine if another random person replaced Ethan in HGSS. Would fans be outraged? Probably. But because Kris is a girl, nobody is really outraged, just disappointed. But Kris and Ethan were both main characters. Think about that.

Also, Kris has that cool design that Ethan has. She feels more of the counterpart to Ethan than Lyra does, IMO.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • I definitely prefer Kris over Lyra. I wish instead of giving us Lyra they gave Kristhe same treatment they gave Red and Blue/Green when the made the Red and Blue remakes and just change her clothing design a bit but keep it similar to her Gen II appearance

Years
  • I voted Lyra. I love Kris's design a lot as it fits that classic strong looking trainer designs from the first three generations. I never got to play as her though since I owned Gold Version during Gen 2 and never got Crystal. Lyra just has more an attachment to me though. I love her design and the hat especially, her hair looks fine to me too. I guess I may like her more because I actually played as her for years since HGSS released and never experienced Crystal. I see nothing wrong with her outfit either like some people have said, I am a huge Mario fan though so who knows, maybe that's why I like the coloring of her outfit lol. I do agree though that they should have just redesigned her from Crystal as opposed to creating a new character, but it's whatever and didn't turn out bad either way.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • Lyra was lame and there was nothing special about her. She may as well have been Leaf with a different hat on and hairdo. Kris on the other hand was the first girl protagonist of the series, and her design had a lot more spunk and personality. I will never understand what made them switch her out.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Lyra is the only girl protag i never cared for. she isn't horrendous but i didn't enjoy playing as her. something about her look was obnoxious. so when i play hg/ss now i just play as the male protag. Kris was def cooler, she had an edgier look. plus that blue hair. how can you go from cool blue hair to brown

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I like Lyra better, only because as someone who picked the male protagonist, she actually appears in the game. Had Kris appeared in the game as well if not picked as the player character, I would have had a harder time picking between the two. Design-wise, I don't really have a preference. Kris has this badass trainer look which is pretty great, since after May every female protagonist wears more cutesy attire. Lyra falls under the cutesy category, but I don't mind it and I do actually like her outfit. Instead of making a brand new character though, they could have gotten Kris and put her on Lyra's outfit and renamed her Lyra since she never had a canon name to begin with, much like what they did to Gold -> Ethan.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Still don't really get why they made a new female protagonist for HGSS when Kris already existed. I get the argument "oh but they're remakes of gold and silver so technically kris didn't exist yet" but there are other elements of Crystal in HGSS, so I think that dismisses that.

I don't hate Lyra, but I like Kris' design much more. Blue hair is better.

Years
  • I prefer Kris because her design was awesome. It was very simple and comfortable looking, the ideal thing you would wear on your Pokemon journey.

Lyra's design is pretty poor and silly looking. The giant hat/bow, the overalls and the socks. Imagine how annoying it would be to wear while traveling two regions! If they removed those and replaced them with a beanie, plain shorts and short socks/sneakers, I wouldn't have had a problem.

Years
  • Easily Kris for me because she was the first girl protagonist and her design was just way better imo. Plus something about Lyra just always annoyed me a little when I was playing through as a boy in HGSS.

TI

good mornin'
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2017
    They're both nowhere close to top tier.
    But I'd say Kris edges it out by just a bit.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I say Kris owns Lyra by a long shot. Kris looks like a serious Pokemon trainer, and her hairdo is badass. I've never liked Lyra. I always found her uninteresting and forgettable. Also, I don't like her outfit.

Back