• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Maturity

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • Based on your own personal definition of what makes someone mature.. how mature would you say that you are? Why's that? How mature are you for your age? And would you like to change anything to make yourself more or less mature?

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    definitely a little below average for being 21 tbh. I wouldn't call it immature really, just a little silly I guess. I was home schooled most of my life and I think that stunted my social development for a good while. but whatever man, I'm happy with who I am

Years
  • I don't think I'm mature yet, I'm not fully independent. I think a big part of maturity is financial independence or being able to take care of yourself alone. I also think it's tough to assess whether you're capable of doing such without actually doing it.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • It actually depends for me. There are times when I can be quite immature. I enjoy stuffed animals, watch things on Disney Junior... stuff like that. However, I can also be rather mature at times as well. It depends on the general situation and such. Actually, I seem to be more mature when I don't realize it.

I consider myself less mature mostly because of my special needs. I do things that a child would do. Sometimes, I even forget I'm even an adult! Considering my circumstances, I can't really say what makes someone mature. :/

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    nah
    I've felt 45 for about 8 years but I've acted like a 17 year old for about 10

I don't think I'm anywhere at the level a 21 soon 22 year old should be tbh

Years
  • I think, regardless of what the definition in the dictionary might be, we all define maturity slightly differently and for that reason I think the concept itself is actually quite hard, surprisingly so, to come to grips with.

I like to think I'm a fairly mature person, but looking how "mature" I think I am really depends on the situations I have been in. For example, I have the emotional fortitude to deal with a lot of my friends emotional burdens and help them through them (bearing in mind these things include depression and scary stuff like that sometimes) but I can't handle the rather limited stress and emotional turmoil in my own life very well at all.

I'm quite good at managing my money, but I'm far from being financially independent and even though I have the ability to tidy the house every morning I don't because I don't have the motivation. I work and I study but have problems with these things occasionally (especially study, I really hate study), you get the idea.

There's plenty that would make people call me mature, but on the flip side when you look at my life from a personal not interpersonal perspective there's a lot that would make you call me immature too. Perhaps I have the means to be a mature person but have yet to achieve maturity itself?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i think maturity is based on how you handle things and how you look at things. i dont think physical things really define maturity as someone can have their life pretty well together, but be immature in their views and way they act

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My best friends are all younger than me. Some by several years. I've two uni degrees, a job and a home and a pet but I don't think my personality or hobbies are mature at all. And I like it that way so far c:

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    dose having a full out street fight without any weapons on either of us in the middle of a parking lot with a cop count as mature? either way I'm keeping my split of the bets that i won from winning. me, the chief & someone who was about to be released got a 4th of it, the other 4th went to repairs on the police station.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I think a big part of maturity that people often overlook is knowing when to be serious.

When I tell people that, they seem to think I mean being serious all the time, but in truth there's a lot more to it. I think of it somewhat like how I think of being well dressed. A man in a suit is thought of as well dressed often enough that some people try wearing them everywhere. But if you show up to a sports event in triple digit weather in a suit, you're not well dressed, you look like a silly tryhard.

Similarly, it doesn't do to go through life with a perpetual scowl, or to look down on those who use humor or other such distractions as a way to deal with whatever life throws at them. Being solemn has its place, as does being lighthearted.

pkmin3033

This is actually a more difficult question to answer than is immediately apparent. I've never really had my own concept of maturity; it's always been something that has come from external sources. When I was younger it was based on my parent's ideology because, of course, like most children I wanted to be treated as an adult by my parents when I was a kid, which meant I needed to fit their definition for what made someone mature. Obviously I failed spectacularly in this regard...and still do, sometimes.

It always seems to be based upon this bizarre idea that the majority opinion makes for a fact, on the concept that conformity provides us with an absolute that we MUST obey, or heaven help us. That is how society functions, but I don't see why I'd need to apply it to my own personal perspective. I don't see why I need to compare myself based on other people's expectations, when said expectations don't matter to me and are impossible to truly gauge because putting them into words is not something typically done and is so difficult to do. These things just aren't done; you're supposed to KNOW how to act in certain situations. I suppose part of maturity is responding accordingly when you know how to...which is conforming, which you get better at doing the older you get.

I enjoy a lot of things that are aimed at people younger than myself, which would classify me as immature to some - stuff that is marketed at children; Pokemon, Pretty Cure, etc. But my behaviour is completely different from those people. At the same time, behaviour is often the product of experience, and I've been here longer, so of course my behaviour is going to be different. I know things the average ten year old doesn't; that's to be expected. The idea that maturity can be judged based on your hobbies or interests is ridiculous. There is a clear line between mature behaviour and everything else that I don't think a lot of people bother to distinguish these days - there is the assumption that if you like certain things, you're immature. A lot of people seem to have that perspective, which is what makes it such a difficult thing to judge - since maturity is based a lot on majority perspective, is this aspect of it a valid addition, or a petty judgement you can safely ignore when evaluating yourself? I wonder sometimes.

The psychological definition for maturity is "the ability to respond to your surroundings in an appropriate manner", which is difficult to measure objectively, because everyone has different experiences, as well as beliefs and opinions of what is "appropriate" for any given situation. In a general sense, I would say I'm perfectly mature for an adult, because I know generally how to respond in an acceptable fashion in most social situations. At least, I can get by without causing offense or a spectacle, and will do so unless I feel the need to express myself for whatever reason. That sounds arrogant, but it's what you would expect of someone around my age; the average person could say the same. We wouldn't function as a society otherwise if we didn't have that knowledge, and we're not born with it - we learn it from others as we grow older.

Beyond that, how mature I am depends on your perspective. I stopped caring about it a long time ago; I am who I am. Take it or leave it or, as is often the case, both. If I'm immature because of what I enjoy, how I act in certain situations, or because of anything else, then I'm sure I'll survive somehow. Maturity implies a perfection that just isn't present in people to me; no matter what I do, at least some aspect of me is going to be immature to someone, somewhere. No sense worrying about it; we get by as best we can.

tl;dr "mature" is more a word that other people might use to describe me (or not) than one I would apply to myself.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'd say pretty mature, but I still have a lot left to learn. I think maturity isn't something that can't really be defined since it's different for each person. For me, it's about keeping your mind open to new ideas, and knowing how to act depending on the situation. All I know is that the longer I live, the less mature I think I am. Not because I'm getting more immature, but because I'm learning how much I have yet to learn.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I feel that in certain situations we can all fall flat of the mature line, but professionally you better damn well be up to my exacting standards and quit dinking around. Do your job, find something productive to do. In other words, there is a time and place for everything and being mature is realizing when and when not to make faces.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I consider myself to be pretty mature. The only time my maturity really goes out of line is sometimes when I snap out of anger, but that's not too often these days. 5 years ago? Yeah, that was pretty bad...

Back