• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Mega Evolution and Z-moves will not be in these games

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    From what I've heard around the internet, Mega Evolution and Z-Moves will not be in these games. What is your opinion on these features possibly being absent in Sword and Shield?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
    Dynamax is the replacement for Megas/Z moves, it's a fusion of the 2.
    So, I don't really care.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't mind, especially with Z-Moves since I never got attached to them. Going to miss my precious Mega Audino and Mega Altaria though, but alas I never expected them to forever carry over to future gens.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah I don't feel like we're losing out on much, tbh.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Good, pull the trigger Piglet. The only thing I used Z-moves for were to take fun/funny pics at the photo studio, and used against me they were never that powerful either.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'm kind of glad Mega Evolution won't be in these games. I despise the mechanic, I'm not going to lie. I can understand why z-moves won't be in these games, since those were tied to Alolan culture. I guess this makes these games in the non-mega evolution universe. I'll never be upset about there being no mega evolutions, tbh. I've been wanting them to go for a really long time.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
    I never liked either of them during gameplay and the only redeemable qualities for me were just a few designs of mega evolutions (most of them were average imho, but I really loved some like Mega Ampharos or Mega Altaria). Of the two, I still think that maybe megas could have become better if the most overpowered ones were nerfed instead of unnecessarily throwing them aside in gen 7. Still, Dynamax does not seem to be much better than these to me, at least megas had different designs.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    not bummed about z moves but wtf no megas? that's how some pokemon like. get to be useful in the first place lmfao. wtf...and there are so many good mega designs like. okay then lmfao whatever game.........................

Whim

king of weirdtropolis
    Years
    I'm mad with Megas being gone because while some shit was just too OP (see Rayquaza, Blaziken, Kanga), some were good only because of them. Geez, it took 6 generations for Beedrill to be good at something. Same applies to Camerupt, Lopunny, Banette that were good in their own merit, but not really broken. Now they're back to nothing as if nothing has ever happen.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    With Megas being a whole new form of a Pokémon, it's like actually removing Pokémon permanently from the game. That's pretty awful. Although I'm sure Charizard fans will have their missing Megas replaced with something new, other Pokémon certainly won't be so lucky. Mega Mawile and Lopunny were some of my favorite designs outright, so it's a big double-whammy of my favorite Pokémon not only getting their designs revoked, but their competitive viability erased, too.

For people worried about how "OP" some of them were, the only concern was in competitive. The reasonable thing to do would be to adopt rulesets that ban the Megas that are too strong (like how Smogon banished Mega Rayquaza to the Anything-Goes Realm). It's not like any Gym Leaders used Megas, so there is literally no concern for the average player regarding how broken some Megas happened to be. Competitive was the only side affected and removing them outright is just needlessly harming the casual side.

Since Z-Moves don't actually affect the Pokémon directly, it's more... understandable that they'd be gone. But it really has me set in the thought that Dynamaxing won't be seen outside of Galar, which makes me more exasperated. It's becoming harder and harder to idly sit by and just excuse Game Freak's consistent "one step forward, two steps back" design philosophy with each passing game. Instead of spending so much time and resources on a feature that is completely unnecessary and doesn't have any value in the long-term, they could have just focused more on polishing what they did have and improve elements that provide longevity to the series.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    I hope they are making comeback in.. Pokemon Gun? Along with all the old Pokemons.

Especially Mega Evolution, I like how Mega Evolution helped weak Pokemons to do better and improve many Pokemons design.

Years
    Mega Evolution is still my favourite gimmick that I would love to see more, so that's disappointing. I don't really care about Z-moves, but I would rather have them than Dynamaxing, which seems like a mess right now.

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
    Years
    Z-moves being gone is okay with me, like I'd rather them not but I can survive without them.

But megas!? Lopunny is my favourite Pokemon, it's bad enough that she might not even be in the games at all, but even if she did make it in, without her mega she doesn't have a lot going for her practically speaking. This news upsets me greatly. :(

theclaw

Haruhi Mania
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    They're more like symptoms of the questionable direction the series has been headed. The battle system kept piling on gimmicks.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    A little disappointed with Megas being gone, especially because that gimmick gave less popular Pokémon a chance to shine, with new designs and greater power in battle. I'm not too upset or angry tho, since I have only used Megas in X and Y, and I can survive without them, but it's still a bit disappointing and unnecessary to just get rid of them (possibly foverer?).

Z-moves? They can take them out. It's an interesting feature, but it's not that extraordinary and exciting, imo... And like others in this thread said, Z-moves are more of an Alolan culture thing, so it makes sense them not being in the game.

Years
    I don't really care about Z-moves being gone, but I'm really bummed out about Megas. I... genuinely don't understand why Game Freak would omit Megas of all things since they're pretty much separate Pokemon from the non-Megas, but oh well.

Back